The 12th edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival will be held ONLINE from August 19th to September 5th, 2021, over 3 weekends.
At #KASHISH2021Virtual each online program will be made available for 48 hours (2 days) across the World. Submit if you are open to have your film screened online for 48 hours open to the world. KASHISH ensures total security for all the films screened online.
Considering the challenging situation all filmmakers must be going through, the festival has decided to Waive Off Submission Fees in ALL Categories. So Happy Submissions!!
Just please read the submission guidelines carefully and submit ONLY if your film is eligible.
KASHISH 2021 Festival Theme: Unlock With Pride
The theme of KASHISH 2021 is #UnlockWithPride, representing the festival's mission to unlock geographical & racial barriers, and encourage love & acceptance of LGBTQIA+ individuals, and thereby unlock a new normal of hope for everyone.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQIA+ themes.
ABOUT KASHISH MIQFF
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, Intersex, Asexual) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQIA+ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH MIQFF, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQIA+ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQIA+ film festival, has over the past 11 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQIA+ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
KASHISH MIQFF has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH MIQFF awards around Rs.1,85,000 lacs (US$2500) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQIA+ film festival in Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Screenplay
- Best Student Short Film
The winners will be selected by a panel of eminent Jury. The decision of the Jury will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
12th KASHISH MIQFF TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. KASHISH MIQFF welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQIA+ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours.
3. KASHISH 2021 will be held virtually. Submit if you are open to have your film screened online. All the selected films shall be available online for 48 hours to audiences across the world.
4. ONLY films completed after January 1, 2019 can be submitted to the festival.
5. The festival doesn’t accept films that are of less than 4 minute runtime including the beginning and end titles.
5. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category. Above 60 minutes will be considered in Features category.
7. All non-English language films SHOULD have English Subtitles. We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
8. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any submitted films, neither to the filmmakers, producers nor to the distributors.
9. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH MIQFF and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and will be rejected.
10. Please use an email id/phone number that is checked regularly in case we need to get in touch with you throughout the submission process. If there is an issue with your submission and we are unable to get in touch with you by our final submission deadline, we will be forced to disqualify your submission.
11. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
12. KASHISH MIQFF is only responsible for considering the project as it exists at the time of review. The festival is under no obligation to revisit updated cuts once a screener has been seen, so be sure that the submitted film is the final cut in all respects.
If submitting a Work-in Progress, be sure to mark the submission as a rough cut/work-in progress/WIP both in your cover letter and in the screener file itself. Please mention there which elements are incomplete (ex: color correction, score, missing shots, etc.)
If your film is accepted, please note that the final cut must reach us by April 1, 2021.
13.DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: February 14, 2021. The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
NOTE: Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
COMPETITION CATEGORY RULES
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2020
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2021.
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2020.
(d) Films that don’t fulfill conditions in (a,b,c) cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
(e) Films even if complying the above rules, will still be selected on merit as per the decision of Selection Committee. Selection Committee's decision is final and binding.
2. For consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) The film should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2020
(b) The film should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2021.
(c) The film Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2020.
(d) ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes – narrative, documentary or animation - that pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(e) The director of the Student Short Film must be a current or recently graduated full-time student, and has made the submitted film as part of their course at the institute.
(f) If you are a Student Filmmaker please submit a scanned image of your valid student Photo ID as proof by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The pass-out students can provide an official letter from their faculty head certifying that the submitted film was made as part of their film course at the institute. Please quote your FilmFreeway tracking number in the subject line of email.
(g) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication.
(h) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
(i) Films submitted under Student Short Film Competition category cannot be considered for any other competition categories.
1. The original submitter of the accepted film will be notified by email by March 31, 2021.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. KASHISH 2021 will be held virtually. Please ensure you give us screening rights to screen films online for 48 hours to audiences across the world.
4. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance. For directors and producers, we strongly advise that everyone is in a agreement about the festivals they are submitting to, which festivals they want to premiere at, and which version of the film is being submitted. When disputes arise, i.e. a film has been submitted without everyone’s explicit approval or the festival strategy has changed, we suggest that productions find a solution and come to an agreement with all the key decision makers before contacting us or any festivals the film has been submitted to.
5. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films not accepted.
6. Accepted films will receive an email notifying the film's acceptance at the festival. Films not accepted will also be notified by email by the notification deadline.
Please make sure the email address associated with your submission remains active throughout the submission process. Your status of Accepted/Not Accepted will also be reflected in FilmFreeway by the notification date.
* Notification dates are subject to change, please check the festival website/ FilmFreeway page every few weeks for updates.
7. Upon acceptance we would need an exhibition copy in HD file. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
8. KASHISH MIQFF reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Executive Committee of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KASHISH MIQFF via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at email@example.com