The 11th KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is being held virtually as 'KASHISH 2020 Virtual' from July 22nd to July 30th on an international platform.
South Asia’s biggest LGBTQ film festival, the KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival which was to be held May 20-24, 2020 at three venues in South Mumbai has announced that it will be holding the festival virtually from July 22-30th, in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
We are happy to inform everyone that our KASHISH 2020 FILM SELECTION IS LOCKED, and we hope to play all the selected films in our virtual edition.
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, Intersex, Asexual) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQIA+ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH MIQFF, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQIA+ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQIA+ film festival, has over the past 10 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQIA+ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
KASHISH 2020 Festival Theme: MOVING FORWARD, TOGETHER!
It's already more than 1 1/2 years since reading down of Sec 377 (a section of the Indian Penal Code that used to criminalize consensual sexual conduct between adults of the same sex), and the LGBTQIA+ community in India is still celebrating. But apart from the legal change, has things changed at societal level, is there more acceptance? What about the marginalized sections within the LGBTQIA+ spectrum? The festival theme of the 11th edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival 2020 will focus on what are the steps needed to Moving Forward, Together! to ensure equality & dignity for everyone.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQIA+ themes.
KASHISH MIQFF has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH MIQFF awards Rs.3,80,000 lacs (US$5400) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQIA+ film festival in Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Screenplay
- Best Student Short Film
- QDrishti Film Grant to Indian Filmmaker
The winners will be selected by a panel of eminent Jury. The decision of the Jury will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
11th KASHISH MIQFF TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. KASHISH MIQFF welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQIA+ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours. Submission Fees are not refundable.
3. ONLY films completed after January 1, 2018 can be submitted to the festival.
4. The festival doesn’t accept films that are of less than 4 minute runtime including the beginning and end titles.
5. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category. Above 60 minutes will be considered in Features category.
6. All films not in English SHOULD have English Subtitles.
We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
7. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any submitted films, neither to the filmmakers, producers nor to the distributors.
8. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH MIQFF and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and all fees are non-refundable.
9. Please use an email id/phone number that is checked regularly in case we need to get in touch with you throughout the submission process. If there is an issue with your submission and we are unable to get in touch with you by our final submission deadline, we will be forced to disqualify your submission (without refund of submission fees).
10. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
11. A submission will be considered complete only after the DOWNLOAD IS ENABLED for the film's preview screener in FilmFreeway. We need this, since internet speeds vary and are not reliable for streaming during online preview.
12. KASHISH MIQFF is only responsible for considering the project as it exists at the time of review. The festival is under no obligation to revisit updated cuts once a screener has been seen, so be sure that the submitted film is the final cut in all respects.
If submitting a Work-in Progress, be sure to mark the submission as a rough cut/work-in progress/WIP both in your cover letter and in the screener file itself. Please mention there which elements are incomplete (ex: color correction, score, missing shots, etc.)
If your film is accepted, please note that the final cut must reach us by March 25, 2020.
13.DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: JANUARY 31, 2020. The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
NOTE: Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
1. We are requesting for a modest submission fee to offset administration costs, and also to bring together an amazing festival.
2. All submission fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
3. Please check the submission fee details in various categories.
4. There is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Indian LGBTQIA+ Short Films – narrative, documentary or animation - produced and set in India with majority of Indian cast & crew.
5. Also there is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Student Short Film competition category. You have to send your student photo ID proof.
6. FEE WAIVER POLICY: Filmmakers, whose films (directed/produced) have been screened at more than two editions of KASHISH MIQFF and filmmakers from countries in which international sanctions prevent them from paying a fee are entitled for a fee waiver. If this applies to you, please email us at email@example.com .
COMPETITION CATEGORY RULES
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2019
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2020.
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2020.
(d) Films that don’t fulfill conditions in (a,b,c) cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
(e) Films even if complying the above rules, will still be selected on merit as per the decision of Selection Committee. Selection Committee's decision is final and binding.
2. For consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) The film should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2019
(b) The film should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2020.
(c) The film Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2020.
(d) ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes – narrative, documentary or animation - that pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(e) The director of the Student Short Film must be a current or recently graduated full-time student, and has made the submitted film as part of their course at the institute.
(f) There is no submission fee for submission to this category.
(g) The submission will be considered only after receiving the valid student ID proof by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The pass-out students can provide an official letter from their faculty head certifying that the submitted film was made as part of their film course at the institute. Please quote your FilmFreeway tracking number in the subject line of email.
(h) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication.
(i) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
(j) Films submitted under Student Short Film Competition category cannot be considered for any other competition categories.
(k) Indian Student Short Films may also be considered ONLY for QDrishti Film Grant, based on film's merit, as per decision by Selection Committee.
1. The original submitter of the accepted film will be notified by email by March 15, 2020.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance. For directors and producers, we strongly advise that everyone is in a agreement about the festivals they are submitting to, which festivals they want to premiere at, and which version of the film is being submitted. When disputes arise, i.e. a film has been submitted without everyone’s explicit approval or the festival strategy has changed, we suggest that productions find a solution and come to an agreement with all the key decision makers before contacting us or any festivals the film has been submitted to.
4. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films not accepted.
5. Accepted films will receive an email notifying the film's acceptance at the festival. Films not accepted will also be notified by email by the notification deadline.
Please make sure the email address associated with your submission remains active throughout the submission process. Your status of Accepted/Not Accepted will also be reflected in FilmFreeway by the notification date.
* Notification dates are subject to change, please check the festival website/ FilmFreeway page every few weeks for updates.
6. Upon acceptance we would need an exhibition copy in DCP / BluRay / HD file. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
6. KASHISH MIQFF reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Core Committee of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KASHISH MIQFF via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at email@example.com