We invite you to submit your LGBTQ themed films to the 10th Anniversary of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival which will be held from June 12 - 16, 2019 in Mumbai.The festival is organized by KASHISH Arts Foundation, a not-for-profit trust working towards mainstreaming queer issues through cinema and arts.
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH MIQFF, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQ film festival, has over the past 9 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
KASHISH 2019 Festival Theme: OVER THE RAINBOW
KASHISH 2019 festival theme ‘Over The Rainbow’ not only commemorates the reading down of Sec 377 and decriminalization of same-sex relationships in India, but will also define the challenges in store for the LGBTQ community’s journey towards empowerment and social acceptance. Bringing together films from all over the world as well as panel discussions and performances, the festival will showcase the shared struggles and rejoicements, and offer a window to existing and future possibilities. Lets journey over the rainbow to discover the land of equality & dignity.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQ themes.
KASHISH MIQFF has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH MIQFF awards Rs.2,65,000 lacs (US$3635) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQ film festival in Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Student Short Film
- QDrishti Film Grant to Indian filmmaker
The winners will be selected by a panel of eminent Jury. The decision of the Jury will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
10th KASHISH MIQFF TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. KASHISH MIQFF welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to this theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours. Submission Fees are not refundable.
3. ONLY films completed after January 1, 2017 can be submitted to the festival.
4. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category. Above 60 minutes will be considered in Features category.
5. All films not in English SHOULD have English Subtitles.
We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
6. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any submitted films, neither to the filmmakers, producers nor to the distributors.
7. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH MIQFF and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and all fees are non-refundable.
8. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
9. A submission will be considered complete only after the DOWNLOAD IS ENABLED for the film's preview screener in FilmFreeWay. We need this, since download access to your film since internet speeds vary and are not reliable for streaming during online preview.
10. EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: FEBRUARY 28, 2019. The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
NOTE: Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
1. We are requesting for a modest submission fee to offset administration costs, and also to bring together an amazing festival.
2. All submission fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
3. Please check the submission fee details in various categories.
4. There is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Indian LGBTQ Short Films – narrative, documentary or animation - produced and set in India with majority of Indian cast & crew.
5. Also there is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Student Short Film competition category. You have to send your student photo ID proof.
COMPETITION CATEGORY RULES
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2018
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2019.
(d) Films that don’t fulfill conditions in (a,b,c) cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
(e) Films even if complying the above rules, will still be selected on merit as per the decision of Selection Committee. Selection Committee's decision is final and binding.
2. For consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) The film should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2018
(b) The film should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2019.
(c) The film Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2019.
(d) ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes – narrative, documentary or animation - that pertain to LGBTQ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(e) The director of the Student Short Film must be a current or recently graduated full-time student, and has made the submitted film as part of their course at the institute.
(f) There is no submission fee for submission to this category.
(g) The submission will be considered only after receiving the submitting valid student ID proof by email to email@example.com . Please quote your FilmFreeWay tracking number in the subject line of email.
(h) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication.
(i) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
(j) Films submitted under Student Short Film Competition category cannot be considered for any other competition categories.
(k) Indian Student Short Films may also be considered ONLY for QDrishti Film Grant, based on film's merit, as per decision by Selection Committee.
1. The original submitter of the selected film will be notified by email by March 31, 2019.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance.
4. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films not accepted.
5. Upon selection we would need an exhibition copy in DCP / BluRay / HD file. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
6. KASHISH MIQFF reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Core Committee of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KASHISH MIQFF via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at firstname.lastname@example.org