9th edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival will be held from May 23 - 27, 2018 in Mumbai. It is organized by KASHISH Arts Foundation, a not-for-profit trust working towards mainstreaming queer issues through cinema and arts.
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first and only LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH MIQFF, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQ film festival, has over the past 8 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
KASHISH 2017 Festival Highlights: https://youtu.be/rQvGNmi0Pno
KASHISH 2018 Festival Theme: TOGETHER, WITH PRIDE
The 9th edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival will celebrate pride and the infinite diversities of families, communities, gender, sex, ethnicity and body types. The fight for equal rights and societal acceptance is also a fight against discrimination of any sort, and equal rights can be only achieved when all of us - LGBTQI and Allies - come together with pride to celebrate being ourselves.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQ themes.
Awards & Prizes
KASHISH MIQFF has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH MIQFF awards Rs.2,25,000 lacs (US$3465) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQ film festival in Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Student Short Film
- QDrishti Film Grant to Indian filmmaker
The winners will be selected by a panel of eminent Jury. The decision of the Jury will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
Rules & Terms
9th KASHISH MIQFF TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. KASHISH MIQFF welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to this theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours. Submission Fees are not refundable.
3. ONLY films completed after January 1, 2015 can be submitted to the festival.
4. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category.
5. All films not in English SHOULD have English Subtitles.
We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
6. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any film, since it invests its limited resources in showcasing all the films to the best possible extent.
7. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH MIQFF and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and all fees are non-refundable.
8. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
9. A submission will be considered complete only after the DOWNLOAD IS ENABLED for the film's preview screener in FilmFreeWay. We need this, since download access to your film since internet speeds vary and are not reliable for streaming during online preview.
10. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: JANUARY 31, 2018. The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
1. From this year we are requesting for a modest submission fee to offset administration costs, and also to bring together a better festival.
2. The festival encourages filmmakers to submit early to take advantage of the Earlybird discounted submission fees.
3. All submission fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
4. Please check the submission fee details in various categories.
5. There is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Indian LGBTQ Short Films – narrative, documentary or animation - produced and set in India with majority of Indian cast & crew.
6. Also there is NO SUBMISSION FEE for Student Short Film competition category.
COMPETITION CATEGORY RULES
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2017
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KMIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2018.
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2018.
Films that don’t fulfill these conditions cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
2. For consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) The film should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2017
(b) The film should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KMIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2018.
(c) The film Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2018.
(d) ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes – narrative, documentary or animation - that pertain to LGBTQ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(e) The director of the Student Short Film must be a current or recently graduated full-time student, and made as part of their course at the institute.
(f) There is no submission fee for submission to this category.
(g) The submission will be considered only after receiving the submitting student’s valid ID proof by email to email@example.com . Please quote your FilmFreeWay tracking number in the subject line of email.
(h) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication.
(i) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
(j) Films submitted under Student Short Film Competition category cannot be considered for any other competition categories.
1. The original submitter of the selected applicants will be notified by email by March 31, 2018.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance.
4. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films not accepted.
5. Upon selection we would need an exhibition copy in High Definition (HD) digital format in resolution 1920 x 1080 codec H.264 mp4 or mov, upto 2GB. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
6. KASHISH MIQFF reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The core committee of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KMIQFF via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at firstname.lastname@example.org