The Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA) invites you to submit your short film (five minutes or less) to our inaugural Young Filmmakers Contest, part of the 2017 Annual General Meeting (AGM) “Jane Austen in Paradise: Intimations of Immortality,” commemorating the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s death.
Entry is FREE.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: Students at the high school, undergraduate and graduate-school levels (If you are graduating in spring 2017 but were a student during the 2016-17 academic year, you are still eligible.)
AWARDS: Judges will select up to three winners in each of the three divisions (high school, college and graduate school). A “crowd favorite” award will be bestowed on the favorite submission selected by JASNA members.
WINNERS WILL RECEIVE:
Cash prize ($250 for first place; $100 for second place; $50 for third place)
Paid registration for the JASNA Annual General Meeting on Friday, October 6, in Huntington Beach, CA (one representative from each winning film)
Invitation to a special filmmakers dinner on Friday, October 6 (one representative from each winning film) and screening of the 2016 film Love and Friendship written and directed by Whit Stillman, who will be in attendance
One-year free membership in JASNA
Screening of the winning videos at the Annual General Meeting in October 2017, on the JASNA and JASNA-Southwest websites and our YouTube channel
Judges will include film industry professionals as well as faculty from Southern California film schools. All juror decisions will be final.
1. Works must be adapted from or inspired by Jane Austen’s writing or life, and relate in some way to the theme “Jane Austen in Paradise.” They may be comedies, dramas or documentaries in live action or animation. They may be modernizations or mashups of Austen and another public domain author. They may be set any time from the Regency era to the present or even in the future. They may be cast with puppets, pets or people. In other words, let your creativity guide you. You also have significant discretion in how you address the theme “Jane Austen in Paradise,” such as Jane Austen on holiday, her immortality as an author, etc.
2. Entrants in the contest must have been a high school, college undergraduate or graduate student during the 2016-17 academic year. You must indicate on your entry form the name of your institution and your class year.
3. Films will be judged on creativity, originality, artistic/technical quality and relevance to our theme.
4. To be considered, films and videos must be no longer than five minutes. Works must be shot in widescreen format and submitted as an MP4 file.
5. Entrants retain the copyright to their work. However, you must agree to grant JASNA and JASNA-Southwest the right to screen your submission at the Annual General Meeting, on the JASNA and JASNA-Southwest website, our YouTube channel, and through other video-sharing sites and social media before, during and after the conference.
6. The creators of each submission are responsible for obtaining all required waivers, permissions and consents:
• Parents or legal guardians for filmmakers under 18 years of age must sign the consent section of the entry form. Signed consents from parents or legal guardians must also be obtained on behalf of any cast or crew members under 18.
• Filmmakers and cast members 18 and older also must sign the consent section of the entry form.
• Any music used must be royalty-free (be aware that performances of public domain works might carry their own copyrights) or legally obtained with proof of permission, which must be included with your entry form and submission.
• No brands, logos, people’s likenesses or buildings, art or other works that would require legal clearance or signed waivers to be shown may be included unless written permission is obtained from the individuals or intellectual property owners involved.
7. On the entry form, please indicate who on the filmmaking team will be the designated contact person and representative (listed as lead filmmaker) should your submission be chosen as a winner.
8. No nudity or pornographic content is permissible. Avoid profanity or images inappropriate for a PG-13 rating.
9. The following must be received by July 21, 2017 to be eligible for consideration:
• Your completed film or video
• Your entry form
• All required waivers and permissions
• Proof of eligibility (photocopy of student ID or a short, signed letter on school/university letterhead from a faculty member confirming that you were a student at said institution during the 2016-17 academic year)
10. Submit your completed, high-resolution short film or video electronically — along with your signed entry form and any required waivers or permissions — to firstname.lastname@example.org via a service capable of sending large files, such as wetransfer.com or yousendit.com. Or upload to Dropbox, Box or Google Drive and send a link to email@example.com. You will receive an email acknowledgment that your film has been successfully delivered.
The Jane Austen Society of North America reserves the right to award fewer than three winners for each category if we receive an insufficient number of qualified submissions.