The Iowa International ScreenDance Festival 2019, as part of the 13th Iowa Dance Festival, is pleased to announce an open call for submissions of ScreenDance, Dance for the Camera films.
ScreenDance: A genre of dance made exclusively for the camera, in which dance/movement is the central theme of the story, becoming the primary expressive element in the work.
This screening is a platform for dance films of any style, genre or technique that highlight and encourage dialogue of the hybrid of dance and film.
Prior to the festival all ScreenDance submissions will be reviewed and curated by a panel of filmmakers, directors, producers and choreographers. Selected film will be screened at FilmScene on October 18, 12:00 pm, and two screenings in Mexico City on December, dates TBA at in La Casa del Cine and La Cantera, providing a platform to explore the dynamic possibilities of movement created specifically for camera/screen.
Creators of selected works will have the opportunity to engage with the audience via SKYPE and receive a small compensation to support their creative work.
Deadline, September 7, 2019 at 10:00 PM Central Time
• Maximum time for each submission is ten minutes
• Only two submissions allowed per artist
• Date of completion of the submitted works, not older than 2017
• There are no limitations on submissions for films that have been presented at
other festivals and/or online
• Films have to be connected with movement, choreography, dance or clear kinetic
• Symbolic entry fee $10.00
• Selected films will receive a symbolic $50.00 to support their future work
Selected films must provide the following;
• High resolution still images (jpg, 300dpi)
• Description of the film or artistic statement (no longer than 150 words)
• An exhibition file for your film. We prefer 1920x1080 AppleProRes or H264 files
(.mov or .mp4)
Selection criteria is;
• Over all Message
• Dance/Movement concept and execution
1. Nora Garda: University of Iowa, Pharmaceuticals Senior Chemist, InterDance & Iowa
Dance Festival Director.
2. Mathew Steele: Publisher, Little Village Magazine, MFA Media, Social Practice and
3. Peter Chanthanakone: University of Iowa Associate Professor, School of Art and Arts
History. award winning director and producer specializing in 3D animated short
4. Michael Judge: University of Iowa, Adjunct Instructor, freelance journalist. His
articles, essays, interviews and reviews have appeared in The Wall Street Journal,
The New York Times, NPR, The Columbia Journalism Review, The Chicago Tribune,
Politico and Smithsonian magazine, among other publications.
5. Michael Sakamoto: interdisciplinary artist active in dance, theatre, performance,
photography, and media.
6. Carleen Maur; University of Iowa, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of
Cinematic Arts at the University of Iowa - Film & Video Production.
7. Kevin Kelley: Director and Producer of the Emmy Award-winning documentary
Jackson Pollock's "Mural": The Story of a Modern Masterpiece.
8. Eloy Barragán: University of Iowa Associate Professor of Dance, Choreographer,
ScreenDance Filmmaker Director of the Iowa International ScreenDance Festival, Co-
director of the Iowa Dance Festival.