Filem'on is a filmfestival for children from 2 to 15 years old in 7 different venues in Brussels and Ghent, Belgium, during 10 days in Autumn. Yearly, Filem'on selects about 140 films from all over the world, based on the festival's mission to offer its young audience films that cannot be found in mainstream cinemas. To inspire and connect professionals in the childrenfilm industry, Filem'on organizes an international Exchange conference during the festival.
Filem'on is a member of ECFA and a partner for several film initiatives, such as the YAA.
Awards & Prizes
Filem'On works with a national and international children's jury, composed of teenagers from divers backgrounds. There are roughly 14 feature and 30 short films in competition. The jury rewards the winning films with a Bella Brussella price.
The Filem'on festival's categories for competition films in which the Bella Brussella prize can be won are:
- Best of 'Europe' – feature films (animation, live-action or documentary)
- Best of 'Mundi'- feature films (animation, live-action or documentary)
- Best of Teens (12+)
- Best of TV for toddlers
- Best Belgian short
- Best Ieuropean short
In 2017 Filem'On will participate in the ECFA DOC Awards. A professional jury of three members will decide which documentary film achieves the Award.
Rules & Terms
Guidelines for the selection process:
- Technical information about the film is needed :
- A synopsis has to be provided: For feature films 400 signs. For short films 120 signs.
- A high quality still of the film has to be provided: JPEG 300dpi.
- A trailer of the film in mp4 format is a plus.
- To take part in the competition, your film has to have its premiere in Brussels.
The filmmaker, producer or distribution company receives no screeningsfee from Filem'On for films selected for competition.
- Feature film in competition: "kids & "Teens" One representative will be offered three nights accommodation and free accreditation for all screenings, conferences and masterclasses. Travel costs are payed back by the organisation.
- Feature films in comoetition "Mundi" al translations/subtitles into Dutch and/or French will be delivered in exchange.
- Short films in competition: One representative will be offered two nights of accommodation and free accreditation for all screenings. Travel costs are not covered.
Postal/Travel costs of DCP files (feature film) are covered by Filem'on.
Short Film files need to be send digitally in high quality H264/mp4 format (1920x1080p).
Feature films can be admitted in DCP format, as Apple ProRes (422 HQ) file or as a Blu Ray disc. To deliver your film, you can use our FedEx Shipment service or FTP server.
All films need to be provided with English subtitles and a srt timecode file.