IDFFA is an international dance on film festival with a core focus on nurturing the dance on film industry in Australia. Created to give choreographers, dancers, and filmmakers from all around the world, a vehicle to present dance on film, generate a hub that connects both industries, and brings a new audience of dance lovers to the cinema.
Our core values are education, opportunity, innovation, connection, inspiration, and inclusivity, encouraging artists' freedom of imagination to think outside the box, to create new and original works that move audiences.
Participants of the festival will showcase their chosen genre of dance via a short film. With a selection of award categories, the festival goal is diversity in every aspect.
Attendees of the festival will enjoy a showcase screening of finalists and announcement of winners at the festival and gala, on the 8th of November 2020.
Best of the Fest Dance Film Award - $100 AUD
(Awarded to the best dance film of the festival)
Best Student Dance Film Award - $100 AUD
(Awarded to best full-time student dance film)
Best Avant-garde Dance Film Award - $100 AUD
(Awarded to the most innovative dance film)
Best Australian Dance Film Award - $100 AUD
(Awarded to the best Australian dance film)
Best International Dance Film Award - $100 AUD
(Awarded to the best international dance film)
BWP Studios Best Technical Film Production Award – $100
(Awarded to the film with the best video/film production)
- Additional prize from our partners at American Arts, Film and Television Academy in LA -
Online Creative Mentorship - Acting Full Time Mentorship (Valued at $500 USD)
1. Films for IDFFA Official Selection must be no longer than 20 minutes, including titles and credits. There is no minimum time limit.
2. IDFFA accepts any and all genres.
3. You can use any software to edit video and audio.
4. You can use any software for colour correction or special effects.
5. You cannot use copyright material unless you have documentation to prove you have legal authorization from the musician, artist, writer, or record label. We may ask for this documentation at any time.
6. You may also be required to provide Dancer Release Forms to be signed by the people appearing in your film.
7. The festival is open to filmmakers of 18 years and above.
8. The extended submission deadline is 11:59 pm (AEST), September 20th, 2020.
9. Entrants must agree to their film being uploaded to the IDFFA website and shown online and on the IDFFA Youtube channel at the festival organiser’s discretion unless stated otherwise and/or discussed with IDFFA. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns about this.
10. All content submitted must be in accordance with the law and any perceived illegal activity will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
11. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. If your film is selected as a finalist for our IDFFA Gala it must be submitted in 16:9 ratio and in a non-compressed format. We recommend an MP4 or .mov, files in the largest size possible, with a constant frame rate and Stereo 48kHz sound so it will look good on the big cinema screen.
13. Your film can have screened in other film festivals, just as long as you have never entered it into IDFFA (unless approved by festival directors at their discretion).
14. Submissions are exclusively through FilmFreeway.
15. You can enter as many films as you like.
16. If anyone is found to have broken any of the rules then you may be disqualified from the festival at the discretion of the panel.
17. By entering IDFFA, you agree to allow your film to be screened as part of our festival if selected as well as any subsequent tours of our program.
18. By entering, you agree to allow IDFFA to distribute your film to a third party. Your film’s producer will be consulted on any deals and we will never distribute your film without complete permission and agreeance to do so. If no suitable agreement can be found, then we will not include your film in the distribution. This in no way impacts your entry into IDFFA itself.