Initially the festival startet as an evening for local and independent filmmakers around Munich to show their masterpieces produced locally and discuss about new projects.
Twice a year the Independent Starfilmfest features an exciting mix of the best international short films as well as discussion panels, workshops, networking and other activities to create an event out of the filmfest.
Our passion is the independently produced shortfilm. Our mission is to connect and bring worthy filmmakers to a wider attention to get connected for new chances and projects. The Independent StarFilmfest offers a chance to independent filmmakers to honour their work by showcasing their artwork. Beside of that, filmmakers have the chance to win one of the prices for their films.
The Independent StarFilmfest offers possibilities to get connected with other filmmakers as well as professionals out of the industry as well as reaching out for a wider audience, producers scouting for talents, distributors searching for content.
By a fine selection of the best shorts we show a mix of thrilling suspense, emotional roller coaster rides and much laughter.
We roll out the red carpet for our audience and filmmakers for our live screening during our festival that takes place at the "Lindenkeller" in Freising, which is close to Munich in Germany.
We open our call for entries for all filmmakers around the globe regardless of their age, religion, ethnos or culture.
- Narrative shorts – narrative films less than 40 minutes.
- Music shorts - music videos of all kind of styles and categories.
- Horror/Mystery/Fantasy shorts - less than 40 minutes.
- Short documentary - documentaries of any theme, less than 20 minutes.
- Bavarian shorts – Special category for Bavarian filmmakers nearby Freising. If you are located in zip code areas 85xxx, 84xxx. Filmlength max 40 min.
- Webseries - one episode, less than 25 minutes.
- New blood - shorts of young filmmakers (max. age of all involved filmmakers is 20)
All genres accepted, except commercials.
The official selections of each category will be announced on our website. The finalists will be invited as special guests to the Independent StarFilmfest and the winners will be honored at the end of the festival screening.
The selection will be performed by our jury, featuring professionals such as directors, cinematographers, filmmakers and filmenthusiasts to ensure well balanced opinions and viewpoints.
- best Narrative short - total prize money: (to be announced)
- best Music video - total prize money: (to be announced)
- best Bavarian short - total prize money: (to be announced)
- best Horror/Mystery/Fantasy short - total prize money: (to be announced)
By submitting your film, you expressly acknowledge and agree that you shall be bound by the terms of this agreement. The Competition reserves the right to refuse entries.
1. All genre films will accepted.
2. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2016, or 3 years not beeing shown in germany. The festival committee will determine the production date of your film based on the copyright year listed in the end credits.
3. All non-german/english language films must have english subtitles.
4. Running time: 40 minutes and under. No exceptions. Running time includes end credits.
5. All films must be submitted and paid for through filmfreeway.com. Illegible or incomplete entry forms will not be accepted. Materials received after the notification date will be discarded without notice or refund of entry fee. Incomplete applications, failure to include payment, or submitting materials we are unable to preview will disqualify your entry without refund. We do not accept DVD, Blu-ray or DCP files.
6. Each filmmaker can submit several projects, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry and fee.
7. No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection.
8. Entry fees are non-refundable.
9. The Festival reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or scheduling.
10. The filmmaker certifies to have full rights. Producer will indemnify the organisers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.
11. It isn't necessary for submitters or Award winner filmmakers to be on location at the date of the festival.