The Iowa Motion Picture Awards recognize outstanding creative and technical achievement in Iowa’s moving image production industry, in all its forms -- in twenty-two Program Categories and twenty-five Craft Categories.
Winners will be recognized at the Iowa Motion Picture Awards Gala Ceremony on a soon to be determined date. In each specific category, entries must meet the high criteria of industry judges for that skill set to receive the Award of Achievement. If the work was outstanding, it met the criteria to earn the highest Award of Excellence.
ENTRY DEADLINE: February 28, 2019
There are up to two rounds of judging:
In the primary round, members of Iowa's production community screen all entries and select nominees.
The entries are rated on how well they achieve their stated objectives as well as the creative and technical elements relative to the category.
Entries will be judged according to guidelines developed by industry professionals in each discipline.
If necessary, an additional round of judging of selected entries will draw upon an additional group of industry professionals.
ENTRY FEES FOR THE 28TH ANNUAL IOWA MOTION PICTURE AWARDS
Thanks to our partnership with Produce Iowa we are able to offer reduced entry fees.
Early Entry Fee
Regular Entry Fee
SUPER SUBMISSION DISCOUNT: For every three entries you submit you are eligible for a free fourth entry. Email Michael@thespeedofplot.com with the number of entries you have submitted and your waiver for your free submission. Your entries will be validated before your free waiver is provided.
Non-Members do not need to enter a waiver code, but all other submissions will require the use of a waiver code to ensure that you pay the correct amount for your submission. If you are submitting multiple entries the waiver code will apply to each entry allowing you to make a single payment for all of your entries.
Early Entry Discount Waiver Codes
Student Non-Members: IMPA40
Student Members: IMPA50
Important Note: Using a discount waiver for which you are not eligible may result in disqualification of your submission if we are unable to reach you to rectify your payment before the deadline. If your entry is disqualified a refund may be issued at the discretion of the Iowa Motion Picture Association.
Questions may be directed to Michael Helgens at firstname.lastname@example.org (319)821-0682
Winners will be recognized at the Iowa Motion Picture Awards Gala Ceremony. There are two levels of recognition, the Award of Achievement and the Award of Excellence.
To be considered for an Iowa Motion Picture Award:
Unless specifically entering in the "Not From Iowa" category, your film must have some connection to Iowa. This can be a member of the crew, actor or the film could have been filmed in Iowa.
The entry must have been completed between January 1, 2017 and February 28, 2019. The entry must not have been submitted before in the category or categories in which you are entering in 2018.
You must possess creative control of the submitted work, or must have written approval from the appropriate individual or entity.
For each category you choose to enter:
(1) Complete your online Entry using FilmFreeway. Only entries submitted using FilmFreeway will be accepted. All instructions must be followed carefully to avoid disqualification. An Official Entry form must be completed for each of your selected submissions. All information entered on the Official Entry Form is the responsibility of the person completing the form. The Iowa Motion Picture Association will not be responsible for incorrect spellings or other mistakes that appear on awards that are the result of incorrectly entered information.
(2) All pieces should be submitted in their entirety. (If you have any questions, email or call Michael Helgens at email@example.com (319)821-0682)
(3) For all categories where the judge would need to focus on a particular piece (i.e. Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor, etc), please ensure that you have uploaded a headshot that is clearly labled in the file section on FilmFreeway. If your film is longer than ten minutes please add upload a document to FilmFreeway provides a ten minute section the judges should watch which best represents the category for which you are submitting.
(4) Category Entries. (i.e. – technical professions, music, sound effects, actor, actress, etc.) must be edited to specifically highlight the work being submitted. There should be no doubt about the identity of the actor/actress, or the exact category of your entry. Upload your edited clips to Vimeo or YouTube and include links to the clip with the category you are entering as an attached file on FilmFreeway.
(5) Actors and Actresses. Upload an Adobe Reader .PDF file containing your headshot to your Dropbox folder. We need to be able to clearly identify you in the clip you select to send for judging.
(6) Please make sure that you have tested your submission before sharing it with the IMPA to ensure it plays and is free from corruption artifacts.
(7) If you have any questions, email or call Michael Helgens at firstname.lastname@example.org (319)821-0682
(8) FOR ALL SELECTED ENTRIES, include a link to a 15-second clip on Vimeo or YouTube via a link shared in a document attached to your project – clearly identified – to be used in the Show Reel during the Awards Ceremonies to introduce your project on the big screen, should you be nominated by the judges to receive an Award of Achievement or an Award of Excellence. Please select and include a different 15-second clip for each category you have entered -- which highlights the craft, skill, or talent in that category. This helps the Iowa Motion Picture Awards fullfill its mission of honoring outstanding achievement in each of the professional categories in the Awards -- and also holds the audience's attention because they are seeing a new and riveting clip showcasing excellence in that particular category -- instead of watching the same clip again.
(9) The Iowa Motion Picture Association assumes no liability for entries. Entrants are responsible for all applicable rights and permissions. The IMPA reserves the right to refuse entries and/or refund fees at its discretion. It is the responsibility of the filmmaker or submission contact to ensure that all requirements are met. The festival retains the right to disqualify an entry, with no refunded fee, if submission guidelines are not met.
(10) You must be a member of the IMPA to submit your entries using the "Member" options on FilmFreeway. Entries submitted by non-members using those categories will be disqualified. You may become a member of the IMPA before submitting your entries by clicking here. Upon completion of your registration and submission of your membership dues you will immediately be eligible for the discounted submission fees.