The Idyllwild International Festival Of Cinema is dedicated to showcasing emerging talent in both studio and independent film. Our goal is to provide a forum where emerging filmmakers can connect with industry professionals to advance and promote their work within an atmosphere supportive of Independent filmmaking.
The Idy Awards (Idyllwild Film Awards) have become one of California's most prestigious film festival prizes. For 2024 IIFC will hand out Idys in the following categories.
Awards Ceremony: March 10, 2024
The Vanguard Awards (1st Runner Up)
The Indie Spirit Awards
Best Sound Design (Overall)
Best Costuming (Overall)
Best Animation (Overall)
Best Music Video
Best Song in a Music Video
Most Original Music Video
Best Director Music Video
Best Actor (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
Best Actress (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
Best Supporting Actor (Feature Film Only)
Best Supporting Actress (Feature Film Only)
Best Ensemble Cast (Feature, Featurette, and Short)
Best Performance by a Child Actor
Best Director (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
Best Director of a Documentary
The Milius Awards for Best Screenplay (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
The Roger Taylor Awards for Best Original Score (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
Juan Ruiz Anchia Best Cinematography Awards (Feature, Short, and Featurette)
Best Feature Film
Best International Feature Film
Best International Featurette
Best Short Film
Best International Short Film
The Doug Austin Humanitarian Film Awards (+2: Narrative and Documentary)
The John Ford Trophy Best Traditional American Film (Overall)
Audience Choice Award
Festival Producer's Choice Award
Festival Director's Trophy
Grand Jury Award
The Archer Award (Best of Festival)
Awards categories are subject to change depending on the number of selected films in a particular genre. The organizers of the festival reserve the right to place a film in a category other than that in which it is submitted. Filmmakers selected to IIFC will have 48 HOURS to withdraw their film from the festival after official selections are announced. After that, your film WILL be screened, EVEN FILMS THAT CLAIM DISTRIBUTOR REQUESTED REMOVAL will be scheduled and screened at IIFC if not pulled within the 48-hour period. Exception: A FEE of $500 will be charged, and must be paid, to the festival organizers before any film will be allowed to exit the festival schedule after said time period.
IDYLLWILD INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF CINEMA
Terms & Conditions
IIFC is open to U.S. and International films in the following 13 categories:
Feature Films (over 60min)
Short Films (under 15min)
International - Features (over 60 min)
International - Featurettes (15min-60min)
International - Shorts (Under 15min)
Animations (All lengths)
Music Video (6 min. Max.)
Humanitarian Films (All Lengths)
Entry Requirements and Rules:
1. To be eligible, an entry must have been completed between 2021 and 2023.
*All film entries must be submitted through FilmFreeway to be considered for selection.
2. An entry form must be fully completed and submitted through FilmFreeway with current contact information.
3. Entry Fees must be paid before your project will be considered. You must submit your film to the correct category (please see category guidelines) and pay the submission fees for that category.
4. All entries and supporting materials for all deadlines must arrive on or before December 21, 2023.
5. Non-English language-produced films must be dubbed in English or contain English subtitles.
6. All entry fees are non-refundable.
7. Student Films must include your high school (or lower grade) or college or Film School in the appropriate section of your entry on FilmFreeway.
8. Selected film entries will be notified no later than January 1, 2024, via FilmFreeway and an announcement on our website at idyllwildcinemafest.com.
9. All entrants grant IIFC the right to use an excerpt from the accepted films (not exceeding 3 minutes) for promotional purposes in any media, including the festival website.
10. After the acceptance announcement, a filmmaker registration form will be sent to each filmmaker. Completion and return of this form is mandatory. Filmmakers will not be scheduled into the festival, nor receive film nominations until this form is completed. Filmmakers will be required to give detailed information about cast and key crew nomination category information and contact details.
**Films that have been broadcast on TV or cable, or have had a theatrical or streaming release before IIFC 2024 opening day, are not eligible for competition. Exceptions are Films that have streamed during online festivals or have had special online screenings but ARE NOT currently available to the general public online. Other exceptions may be allowed on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the festival director and executive producer.
• Films may only be submitted digitally through FilmFreeway. Link and Password to a fully finished, full-resolution project must be provided at the time of submission. Links and passwords must remain active until March 10, 2024. (Please visit the HELP section of FilmFreeway for instructions on how to upload your film.)
If you have received notification of acceptance into our festival, you will need to authorize IIFC to download your submission.
• We do not accept unfinished work. What you submit is what will be screened if accepted.
• All Submissions must include a full-resolution digital poster one sheet (PDF) as well as 2 production stills from the film (JPG).
• Deadline fees will be strictly observed. ALL FEES MUST BE PAID before your project will be considered.
• The online submission form must be completed during submission through FilmFreeway. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your online entry form and required entry materials are properly submitted. IIFC reserves the right to disqualify any submission if improperly submitted.
• Your completed entry and selection automatically allows IIFC full rights and licensing to utilize your project’s title, cast, and crew info, screen grabs, artwork, etc., for promotional uses worldwide.
• Student film entries must include full information about the filmmaker’s educational institute at the time of the project's completion, a copy of Student's Educational ID, and enrollment verification showing attendance at the Institution at the time of the project's completion.
• Once a project has been chosen as an Official Selection to IIFC 2024, a DCP file of the film will be required for screening. There are no exceptions. You will be informed as to when and how your DCP must be provided to the head of our Festival Screening Committee.
Nominations and Awards:
• Unless IIFC is instructed otherwise, all film entries will be considered for nomination.
• Award winners will be selected from the highest-rated films that went through a panel of judges, including film industry professionals. Winners agree to participate in the publicity for the Festival as well as other promotional events, including the website. The determination of the winners is final.
• AWARD WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT, OR BE REPRESENTED BY A LEGITIMATE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FILM to WIN, i.e. a member of the cast or crew or post-production team. (Your uncle or a random social media contact won't qualify.)
Awards Ceremony Dress Code: We value our awards ceremony photos as a part of IIFC's post-festival social media marketing. Shabby clothing does not project the image we wish to convey in photos. And so, attending gentlemen must wear a collared, button-down shirt, sport coat, and black pants (black jeans are acceptable, as are clean sneakers). Ladies are expected to wear something casual chic or elegant. Pantsuits are fine, but no ripped or baggy jeans. Please be prepared to look stylish when accepting awards.
• Filmmakers attending the festival are responsible for travel, lodging, and all other expenses.
Filmmakers accepted into the IIFC will be entitled to the following:
• Two Filmmaker Badges granting access to
All films, panels, and seminars apart from fundraising events
Entrance to parties
Entrance to all Industry Networking Events, Etc.
You will have the opportunity to purchase discounted passes and tickets in advance for additional filmmakers, crew, and actors attending the festival with your film.
The number(s), date(s), time(s), and location(s) of the screenings of films are at the discretion of the Festival.
Participation in the Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema implies understanding and acceptance of all terms included in this application. By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the General Rules, and to the Terms and Conditions listed.
Awards categories are subject to change depending on the number of selected films in a particular genre. The organizers of the festival reserve the right to place films in a category other than that in which it is submitted.
Filmmakers selected to IIFC will have 48 HOURS to remove their film from the festival after the time official selections are announced. After that, your film WILL be screened, EVEN FILMS THAT CLAIM DISTRIBUTOR REQUESTED REMOVAL will be scheduled and screened at IIFC if not pulled within the 48-hour period. Exception: A FEE of $500 (USD) will be charged, and must be paid, to the festival organizers before any film will be allowed to exit the festival schedule after said time period.
IIFC does NOT offer full waivers of submission. IIFC does however offer discount codes on occasion, but ONLY through FilmFreeway's "Now Submitting" program. See FilmFreeway for that option.
Producers of projects under Official Selection status that have NOT responded to, nor completed mandatory registration via the official IIFC email questionnaire, or have not reached out to the festival directly by February 1, 2024 requesting an extension of said registration, may be subject to removal from the screening schedule entirely without advanced notice and with a forfeiture of submission fees.
ALL selected films receive ONE FULL SCREENING of their film in the Rustic Theatre, our official theater home. Additional PRIME TIME SLOT SCREENINGS are sold on a first requested first served basis. This is to ensure that filmmakers who are traveling from out of state or from a foreign nation have autonomy over their screenings and travel schedule. These prime slots are open to all filmmakers at the same price, to allow time to advertise your screenings and assemble your audience base and procure tickets for individual screenings. The pricing will be emailed to each filmmaker after the official selections have been named on December 1st and until all the slots are filled. These are mainly weekend slots, and will be available at a much lower cost than it would be to rent a theater for a private screening.