The Idyllwild International Festival Of Cinema is dedicated to showcasing emerging talent in both studio and independent film. Our goal is to provide a forum where emerging filmmakers can connect with industry professionals to advance and promote their work in motion pictures.
The Idy Awards (Idyllwild Film Awards) have become one of California's most prestigious film festival prizes. For 2020 IIFC will hand out Idys in the following categories:
Best Actor (Feature, Short/Featurette)
Best Actress (Feature, Short/Featurette)
Best Supporting Actor (Feature Only)
Best Supporting Actress (Feature Only)
Best Ensemble Cast (Feature, Short/Featurette)
Best Director (Feature, Short, Featurette)
Best Screenplay (Feature, Short, Featurette)
The Roger Taylor Awards for Best Original Score (Feature, Short, Featurette)
The Roger Taylor Award for Song of the Year (Feature Only)
Juan Ruiz Anchia Best Cinematography Awards (Feature, Short, Featurette)
Best Documentary (Feature, Short/Featurette)
Best Foreign Documentary (Combined Category. 1 Trophy Only)
Best Feature Film
Best Foreign Feature Film
Best Foreign Featurette
Best Short Film
Best Foreign Short Film
Best Student Film
Golden Era Humanitarian Film Award
The Mary Austin Women In Independent Film Awards (Directing, Producing, Screenwriting )
The Mary Austin Screenplay Competition ($500 Prize)
New Media Award (Music Videos, Web Series, Informative)
Audience Choice Award
The Summerhawk Native Film Award
Festival Producer's Choice Award
Festival Director's Choice Award
The Kristoff St. John Inspiration Award
Best of Festival Award
43 Awards Total Awards Given
Awards categories are subject to change depending on the number of selected films in a particular genre. The organizers of the festival reserve the right to place a film in a category other than that in which it is submitted.
IDYLLWILD INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF CINEMA
Terms & Conditions
IIFC is open to U.S. and Foreign films in the following 13 categories:
Feature Films (over 60min)
Short Films (under 15min)
Documentary - Features (over 60min)
Documentary - Featurettes (15min-60min)
Documentary - Shorts (Under 15min)
Student Films - under age 18 (Under 15 min)
Student Films - age 18-23 (All lengths)
Foreign - Features (over 60min)
Foreign - Featurettes (15min-60min)
Foreign - Shorts (Under 15min)
Animations (All lengths)
New Media: Web Series -2 episodes no longer than 14 mins total, Music Video, Informative Shorts.
Humanitarian Films (All Lengths)
Entry Requirements and Rules:
1. To be eligible, an entry must have been completed in 2018 or 2019.
*All film entries must be submitted through FilmFreeway to be considered for selection.
2. Fully completed entry form submitted through FilmFreeway with current contact information.
3. Entry Fees must be paid before your project will be considered. You must submit your film to the correct category (please see category guidelines) and pay the submission fees for that category.
4. All entries and supporting materials for all deadlines must arrive on or before December 21, 2019.
5. Non-English language produced films must be dubbed in English or contain English subtitles.
6. All entry fees are non-refundable.
7. Student Films must include your high school (or lower grade) or college or Film School in the appropriate section of your entry on FilmFreeway.
8. Selected film entries will be notified no later than January 1, 2020 via FilmFreeway and posting on our website.
9. All entrants grant IIFC the right to use an excerpt from the accepted films (not exceeding 3 minutes) for promotional purposes in any and all media, including the festival website.
**Films which have been broadcast on TV or cable, or have had a theatrical or streaming release prior to IIFC 2020 opening day, are not eligible for competition but may be considered for screening during the festival at the discretion of the festival director.
• Films may only be submitted digitally through FilmFreeway. Link and Password to fully finished, full resolution project must be provided at the time of submission. Links and passwords must remain active until March 15, 2020. ( Please visit the HELP section of FilmFreeway for instructions on how to upload your film.) If you have received notification of acceptance into our festival, you will need to authorize IIFC to download your submission.
• We do not accept unfinished works. What you submit is what will be screened if accepted.
• All Submissions must include a full resolution digital poster one sheet .jpg as well as 2 productions stills from the film.
• Deadline fees will be strictly observed. ALL FEES MUST BE PAID before your project will be considered.
• The online submission form must be completed in full when submitting through FilmFreeway. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your online entry form and required entry materials are properly submitted. IIFC reserves the right to disqualify any submission if improperly submitted.
• Your completed entry and selection automatically allows IIFC full rights and licensing to utilize your project’s title, cast and crew info, screen grabs, artwork, etc., for promotional uses worldwide.
• Student film entries must include full information of filmmaker’s educational institute at the time of project’s completion, a copy of Student's Educational ID and enrollment verification showing attendance at Institution at time of projects completion
Nominations and Awards:
• Unless IIFC is instructed otherwise, all film entries will be considered for nomination.
• Each project accepted into IIFC will be required to provide a clip from the film. The clip must appear in the finished film and be no longer than 2 minutes in length. The clip must be the same resolution as the submitted film. These clips may be used during the Awards Ceremony for the films with nominations.
• Directors/Producers must submit a scene clip for each Actor/Actress they wish to have nominated. The clip must appear in the finished film and be no longer than 1 Minute in length. The clip must be the same resolution as the submitted film.
• Award winners will be selected from the highest rated films that went through a panel of judges, including film industry professionals. Winners agree to participate in the publicity for the Festival as well as other promotional events, including the website. The determination of the winners is final.
• AWARD WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT, OR BE REPRESENTED BY A LEGITIMATE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FILM IN ORDER TO WIN, i.e. a member of the cast or crew.
• Filmmakers attending the festival are responsible for travel, lodging, and all other expenses.
Filmmakers accepted into the IIFC will be entitled to the following:
• Two Filmmaker Badges granting access to
All films, panels, and seminars apart from fundraising events
Entrance to parties
Entrance to all Industry Networking Events, Etc.
You will have the opportunity to purchase discounted passes and tickets in advance for additional filmmakers, crew, and actors attending the festival with your film.
The number(s), date(s), time(s), and location(s) of the screenings of films are at the discretion of the Festival.
Participation in the Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema implies understanding and acceptance of all terms included in this application. By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the General Rules, and to the Terms and Conditions listed.
IIFC retains the right to shift any accepted project into a categorie(s) other than that which the project was originally submitted.
Response from festival:
Hi Erik. You won 2 awards but still seem unsatisfied. We are not sure how to reconcile that, but we do hope you understand that many filmmakers are quite excited to know that for just a few dollars they can have control over when and where they screen, giving them the chance to promote to audiences beforehand and be showcased at an hour and date that suits their promotional plan. This program has been a huge success for IIFC, and we are sorry it didn't work for you, But again, two awards. Congratulations. Well done.