IDFFA Schools Festival is a dance on film festival created to galvanize dance schools and students to expand their creativity, and explore bold, innovative concepts on film. We are thrilled to offer this brand new opportunity as an integral component of Inspired Dance Film Fest Australia (IDFFA).
Our mission is to inspire studios and students to produce awe-inspiring dance on film, educate new filmmakers by way of masterclasses and workshops, and elevate the dance community by showcasing your sensational films at our Schools Gala. We encourage both schools and students to embrace the inclusive spirit of the festival by brandishing your talent in a fun, creative format.
Finalist will be selected by our judging panel, to be showcased at the Schools Gala screening and award ceremony on Sunday 8th of November 2020 at Hoyts Cinema Paris, Entertainment Quarter, Sydney, where the winners will be announced, and lots of fun will be had.
All films selected will receive our ‘Official Selection’ laurel.
“Here at IDFFA Schools Festival, we want to create a space for the dance community to celebrate their creative choreography through the lens of filmmaking. We take it as our responsibility to help bring the entire dance community together. We are a dance on film festival with a strong focus on supporting Australian dance artists. We are also working to create a positive rapport with other international dance festivals to create more exciting avenues of opportunity for dance expression".
We strongly encourage schools and students from all corners of Australia to show up and take an active part in the festival, all in the spirit of art, creativity, community, and new friendships.
Best Part-Time Dance School Film Award
(Awarded to the best part-time studio dance film)
Full-Time Dance School Film Award
(Awarded to the best full-time studio dance film)
Best Secondary School Dance Film Award
(Awarded to the best secondary school dance film)
Best Part-Time Sub Senior Student Dance Filmmaker Award
(Awarded to the best dance film by a part-time student 13 yrs and above)
Best Part-Time Senior Student Dance Filmmaker Award
(Awarded to the best dance film by a part-time student 16 yrs and above)
BWP Studios Best Technical Film Production Award
(Awarded to the best part-time studio dance film)
-Additional Prizes from our partners at American Arts, Film and Television Academy-
EMPOWERING THE ARTIST - ONLINE DANCE MENTORSHIP (Valued at $350 USD)
DANCE INTERNATIONAL - IN-PERSON LA DANCE EXPERIENCE (Valued at $5100 USD)
*Full-Time Dance and Filmmaking students must submit to Inspired Dance Film Fest Australia.
** All prize money is in Australian dollars.
Award winners will receive a trophy, cash prize, and the official “Award Winner” laurel to add to the title/credits of their film.
All selected films will become a part of our permanent archive.
1. Films for IDFFA Schools Festival selection must be no longer than 10 minutes for schools and studios, and 5 minutes for students, including titles and credits. There is no minimum time limit.
2. IDFFA Schools Festival accepts any and all genres.
3. You can use any software to edit video and audio.
4. You can use any software for colour correction or special effects.
5. You cannot use copyright material unless you have documentation to prove you have legal authorization from the musician, artist, writer, or record label. We may ask for this documentation at any time.
6. You may also be required to provide Dancer Release Forms to be signed by the people appearing in your film.
7. The festival is open to filmmakers aged 13 yrs and above.
8. The extended submission deadline is 11:59 pm (AEST), September 20th, 2020.
9. Entrants must agree to their film being uploaded to the IDFFA Schools Festival website and shown online and on the IDFFA Schools Festival Youtube channel at the festival organiser’s discretion unless stated otherwise and/or discussed with IDFFA. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any concerns about this.
10. All content submitted must be in accordance with the law and any perceived illegal activity will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
11. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. If your film is selected as a finalist for our IDFFA Schools Festival Gala it must be submitted in 16:9 ratio and in a non-compressed format. We recommend an MP4 or .mov, files in the largest size possible, with a constant frame rate and Stereo 48kHz sound so it will look good on the big cinema screen.
13. Your film can have screened in other film festivals, just as long as you have never entered it into IDFFA Schools Festival (unless approved by festival directors at their discretion).
14. Submissions are exclusively through FilmFreeway.
15. You can enter as many films as you like.
16. If anyone is found to have broken any of the rules then you may be disqualified from the festival at the discretion of the panel.
17. By entering IDFFA Schools Festival, you agree to allow your film to be screened as part of our festival if selected as well as any subsequent tours of our program.
18. By entering, you agree to allow IDFFA Schools Festival to distribute your film to a third party. Your film’s producer will be consulted on any deals and we will never distribute your film without complete permission and agreeance to do so. If no suitable agreement can be found, then we will not include your film in the distribution. This in no way impacts your entry into IDFFA Schools Festival itself.