WHO WE ARE
Humans of Film Festival is a sociocultural* film festival, based in cinema Het
Ketelhuis in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, with a focus to cater to a broad and diverse audience. Our key mission is to raise awareness, give focus on social justice, to question the world we live in, and inspire inclusion and solidarity.
Taking inspiration from the act of portraying individuals through photography, Amsterdam-based Humans of Film Festival has been dedicating itself since 2020 to helping stories with and without a Dutch release find an audience and spread their message.
We want to untangle today’s pressing social issues by listening to the most affected ones. Narratives from the cinematic peripheries brought to the rich cultural landscape of Amsterdam. Through stories on a micro level, we question the global currents of our time. Intimate, to the point, and nurturing.
HoFF doesn’t stop with just programming films. Raising awareness through dialogue after the screenings is a vital part of our festival DNA; the same goes for our dedicated volunteers’ community.
*Note: a lot of people confuse us for being a Human rights film festival, which we are not. Because we go beyond international rights and focus on social and societal issues, stories from human beings, social justice (nationally as well) and building solidarity and raising awareness for inclusion. Human rights come with it, but it is not our sole focus.
*** JURY AWARD | AUDIENCE AWARD | OFFICIAL SELECTION ***
Feature fiction and documentary films that are selected for the festival are eligible for the Jury Award and Audience Award (ceremonial awards and laurels).
Short fiction and documentary films that are selected for the festival are eligible for the Jury Award for short films (ceremonial awards and laurels).
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are open for submissions of films that are
- FEATURES (at least 60 minutes)
- SHORTS (between 5 and 30 minutes)
- Fiction features, documentary features, fiction shorts, and documentary shorts are accepted.
KEY ASPECT: To untangle today’s pressing social issues by listening to the most affected ones. Through stories on a micro-level, we question the global currents of our time.
Your film is one of the following:
- Micro-level story concerning an individual, group, or community that needs to be heard, but faces difficulties in expressing its voice;
- The portrayal of a situation that shows how the environment reverberates on humans.
And contains at least one of the following themes:
- Environmental or ecological stories
- Stories about racism or discrimination
- LGBTIQ+ stories
- Migrant stories
- Female-centered stories
- Social (in)justice stories / colonial histories
- Stories about mental or physical impairments
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING THE FILM
- The film was released between 2020 and 2023;
- The film has not been screened (online or theatrically) or broadcasted (online or on television) in the Netherlands before;
- The film has English subtitles available (even if it’s spoken in English);
- The film has a DCP (physical or (preferably) digital).
>>> If your film is missing any of the above-listed requirements, your film is not eligible and will not be taken into consideration.
To avoid spam and films that do not follow the submission guidelines we ask filmmakers for a symbolic administrative fee. This fee goes directly to making the organization of the festival possible.
For filmmakers who are in a difficult position or are located in certain regions, we offer a waiver or discount (we do NOT take such requests via e-mail, only the google form). Please see the next section for more information.
HoFF submission waivers and discounts
A waiver or discount can be given to filmmakers in need, who face one or more of the following situations:
- Filmmakers from impoverished countries (for example: the currency rate makes it impossible to afford the fee);
- Filmmakers living in Iran or Venezuela, Afghanistan, Congo
- Filmmakers who were able to make their film with a very low budget
Copy this link to go to the waiver and discount form:
We are looking forward to your submission!
If you have any questions or trouble submitting, please send us
an email to: humansoffilmfestival [at] gmail.com **
**Please do not mail us to ask for a fee waiver request, fill out the form on the website as best as you can.