Hong Kong Independent Film Festival started in 2008 with a particular focus on independent productions in Asia. Every year, it selects notable films to highlight the topic of the year, promoting independent film from different places, and enriches film options in Hong Kong.
The curatorial team of Hong Kong Independent Film Festival will be responsible for the film selections. The selected films will be screened at the Hong Kong Independent Film Festival 2021 in January next year.
Two categories: Features and Shorts.
The film, either fiction, documentary or animation, must be completed after 1/6/2019 regardless of the category submitted for. The film must also meet one of the following criteria:
A. The director must be a holder of Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. No restriction on the subject and the language of the film.
B. For applicants who are non-permanent Hong Kong residents, the event of the film must occur in Hong Kong or the subject matter must be related to Hong Kong. No restriction on the language of the film.
1. Duration must be 60 minutes or above.
2. Screening format will be either DCP, 35mm, ProRes422 or H.264.
1. Duration must be between 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Screening format will be either ProRes422 or H.264.
Eligibility and Rules
1. Applicants should be the director or the producer of the film and meanwhile owns solely the copyright of the film.
2. Application is free of charge.
3. No restriction on the number of applications. Applicants need to create an individual application for each film.
4. Non-Cantonese dialogue with either English or Chinese and English subtitles is necessary.
5. The result will be announced no later than 2 December 2020. Applicants of the selected films will receive notifications individually for the arrangement of screening via email.
6. All personal information in the application is for verification and contact purposes only and will be subject to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Cap. 486.
7. Applicants should own solely the original copyright of the images and music, and should guarantee authorization is granted for any use of film or music excerpts from the third party. Otherwise, the application will be disqualified.
8. Ying E Chi retains the rights of all final decisions.