Bungalow, cottage, flat, gaff, hut, ranch, kulia, siheyuan, yurt are some of the ways we describe our dwelling. Perhaps the most complex question immigrants and refugees have trouble answering is - Where is home? Is it the place where you are physically located? Is it where your heart is? It is where your memories are? With that in mind, we decided to build a film festival that celebrates the lives and experiences of immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, expats who left their land of birth for myriad of reasons and moved to the United States of America. We are interested in wide variety of topics such as migration journey, border security, education, employment, documented and undocumented immigration, community integration, family separation, DACA, resettlement of refugee and asylum seekers etc. We encourage narrative and documentary filmmakers and music video producers to share their work with almost 800,000 immigrants who reside in North Carolina.
About the Festival:
The film festival was launched in October 2019 and was organized by two non-profit organizations, namely, International Focus and the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants -North Carolina and an independent film production company-VerveFilms. The three-day event included fictional and documentary pieces from local filmmakers, panel discussions, and a celebratory reception.
In 2020, we plan to extend our programming to include arts, food, culture and dialog in thus enriching the festival experience for our filmmakers and attendees. We plan to engage with the local immigrant-owned businesses and make them an integral part of the festival.
Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival is a celebration of immigrant and refugee stories that embraces the power of films. This year we would like to recognize films and filmmakers for their incredible talent in getting their message out to the larger audience. With that objective in mind, this year we will be giving out various awards and prizes for their artistic merit, audience engagement and social impact. More details will be shared in due time.
- Film submission entry fees are non-refundable.
- It is assumed that filmmakers and artists who submit their work to the Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival have appropriate permissions, authorization and clearances for their work.
- If the work is selected for the film festival, the work will not withdraw its submission.
- The film may not be selected if there is substantial content related to violence, animal exploitation, sexual material or anything that could offend the festival audience. Its completely up to the selection committee to make that determination.
- Submitter also gives Home Is Distant Shores film festival permission to use stills and excerpts from accepted works for marketing, promotional and sales purposes.
- The submitter has read and understood the rules and regulations. The submitter is duly authorized to submit this film to the Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival.
- Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival reserves the right to disqualify any submission without refund of submission fees.
- There is no restriction on public or online screening of the films. There is also no world premiere requirement. If selected and if the film is indeed a world, regional or any other kind of premiere, please inform the organizers.
- All selected work may be screened more than once, and are scheduled at the discretion of the Film Festival organizers.
- Upon submission, the submitter consents to allowing their submitted work to be shared in its entirety with appropriate Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival staff, including but not limited to programming staff, screeners etc. It may be shared with media outlets to potentially secure press for the film. Also with award jury members before, during or on culmination of the film festival.
- The festival reserves the right to complete/add any information not provided by the submitter from whatever source available and will not be held responsible if incorrect information is entered.
- The submitter shall indemnify and hold harmless Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of litigation) which may be incurred by reason of any claim including but not limited to copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss or damage to the work entered in the film festival.
- The submitter approves potential future screenings of their work as part of film series, community screenings, educational screenings, etc. Before the work is publicly exhibited, the festival organizers will seek the permission from atleast one person associated with the film such as the submitter, filmmaker, producers, director etc.
- Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival does not pay screening fees or guarantee travel or distribution for filmmakers.