History Film Festival is an international festival of historical documentary films organized by ISTRA FILM.
The Festival is taking place in Rijeka, Croatia
History Film Festival aims at offering viewers and film experts an insight into contemporary film and TV production of historical documentary films, at the same time providing a place where film professionals can meet and share their creative ideas for future projects.
Festival programme consists of a competition programme, and special thematic programmes (presentations of independent and TV productions, screenings of material from film archives, specialized conferences…).
History Film Festival encourages filmmakers to apply films for its special programmes planned for 2020:
• Politics – events, politicians and political ideas which left their mark in human history
• Migrations – films that tell stories of people who had to leave their homes for any reason
• Women – HFF in 2020 is especially focused on women documentary filmmakers and stories of well-known or less-known women
• Fellini – documentaries about the legendary Italian director Federico Fellini and his influence on modern filmmaking
Official awards of History Film Festival are:
• Grand Prix
• Best Independent Production Documentary
• Best TV Production Documentary
• Best Director
• Best Screenplay
• Best Cinematography
• Best Film Editing
• Best Composer
• Audience Award
Official awards consist of a statue.
Before submitting, please read the full Festival rules:
Documentary films of all running times, regardless of their year of production, whose main topic is history – historical events and characters, can be entered.
The films for the competition programme can be submitted by directors, independent and TV producers, distributors and national film bodies entitled and authorized for representation and submission of films.
If submitting screening links from Vimeo or Youtube, please ensure that they can be acessible to History Film Festival staff until the conclusion of the event.
If your film is selected, the following materials in digital form will also be required:
- a brief synopsis of the film in English;
- at least 3 photographs from the film (of the quality suitable for press – 300 dpi);
- the director's filmography and biography in English and one photo;
- promotional material (trailer, press packages, posters, etc.)
- English transcript/dialogue list or external English subtitles
For public projections at History Film Festival, secure download of a high-quality projection copy will be requested, unless already provided through the submission platform. The projection format is 1920x1080 resolution, h.264 encoded, preferably above 10Mbit.
All non-English films must be submitted with English subtitles.
Physical copies can be accepted in special circumstances.
Please note that History Film Festival cannot accept DCP at this time.
Submission fees are not refundable.
Questions concerning regulations and/or submission forms should be addressed to:
HISTORY FILM FESTIVAL
HR - 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
Phone: +385 92 1331310
Response from festival:
Dear all at Belge Film,
thank you very much for your review, for the efforts you had to make to come to Rijeka and above all thank you for two heavy, but extremely relevant and touching stories. We look forward to watching more films from you! And we will continue working very hard to get all five stars in each category in the future :)