Hai Nai shorts festival enjoys a very high reputation for exploring new young talents in film industry in China. Now it has a higher goal for expanding its influence all over the world. During the 3 days' event, the festival will show a great enthusiasm of its determination to bring all the promising talents to the second largest island in China, and promote these people to a higher stage in film industry.
The selections of 2020's event will have a national screening tour in China and it will be a good chance for the young directors to get in touch with the industry people in China and other Asia counties.
Short Film Competition Awards：
-THE GOLDEN AWARD (FOR 1 SHORT) 4300 USD
-THE SILVER AWARD (FOR 2 SHORTS) 2900 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
-THE BRONZE AWARD (FOR 3 SHORTS) 1400 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
-THE EXCELLENCE AWARD（FOR 5 SHORTS) 430 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
Short Video Competition Awards：
-THE GOLDEN AWARD (FOR 1 SHORT) 2900 USD
-THE SILVER AWARD (FOR 2 SHORTS) 1400 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
-THE BRONZE AWARD (FOR 3 SHORTS) 730 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
-THE EXCELLENCE AWARD（FOR 5 SHORTS) 140 USD (FOR EACH WINNER)
This Regulation is drawn to cover participation in short film (Feature Short Film and Animated Short Film) competitions for Hai Nan Shorts.
A short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 15 minutes or less, including all credits.
This excludes from consideration such works as:
1. Previews and advertising films
2. Sequences from feature-length films, such as credit sequences
3. Unaired episodes of established TV series
4. Unsold TV series pilots
An award shall be given for the best achievement in each of two categories.
1. Feature Short: A live-action film uses imagery created primarily through practical photographic techniques used to capture physical actors, props, sets, and locations.
2. Animated Short Film: An animated film is created by using a frame-by-frame technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: character or abstract. Some of the techniques of animating films include cel animation, computer animation, stop-motion, clay animation, pixilation, cutouts, pins, camera multiple pass imagery, kaleidoscopic effects, and drawing on the film frame itself.
3. Documentary Shorts: A documentary short film uses camera to record a real-life activity based on a certain topic happening in a real life.
A short film that meets the following qualifying criteria is eligible for the competition:
1. A Short film that has been completed in the country of origin after June 1, 2019.
2. All eligible motion pictures must be publicly exhibited by means of unencrypted DCP, or in a 24- or 48-frame progressive scan Digital Cinema format with a minimum projector resolution of 2048 by 1080 pixels, image compression (if used) conforming to JPEG 2000; and image and sound file formats suitable for exhibition in commercial Digital Cinema sites.
In order to be eligible for selection, a short film must be submitted to the Festival no later than October 8, 2020. The FilmFreeway is the only site for only submission.
No submission fee is required for any of the submission.
The submitter shall send back the Receipt of invitation within five working days after receiving the invitation from the Festival. No film selected may be withdrawn for any reason from the Festival once its participation has been officially confirmed by the submitter in writing. If the submitter requests to withdraw the film, the Festival shall have the right of final decision. If any loss is caused to the Festival due to the submitter’s request to withdraw the film, the submitter shall compensate for all economic losses and reputation loss caused thereby, including but not limited to the economic compensation, issuing an apology letter to the Festival and making a public apology via social media platform.
The Festival designates the members of the Jury for final voting for the Animated Short Film and Feature Short Film awards. Decision on each award will be officially announced during the Festival. No person having taken part in the production or exploitation of a film in competition may be on the Jury. All jury members are sworn to secrecy.
The producer or the director of the selected Short films will be invited to attend the Hai Nan Shorts Festival. (Detailed offerings will be indicated in the invitation separately.)