THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL®™
Hollywood's most star-studded festival for independent film.
Where the largest selection of up-and-coming filmmakers screen new work alongside giants of contemporary cinema, including HRIFF CELEBRITY GUESTS: Pierce Brosnan, Sharon Stone, Hilary Duff (Gossip Girl), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds), Donna Mills (Knotts Landing), Clark Duke (Hot Tub Time Machine), Laura Prepon (Orange Is The New Black), Grace Zabriskie (Twin Peaks), Gary Cole (Pineapple Express), Frances Fisher (Titanic), John Robinson (Lords of Dogtown), Kurt Fuller (Midnight In Paris), Uwe Boll (Postal), Alan Howarth (Halloween), Bruce Davison (X-Men), Richard Kind (Curb Your Enthusiasm), legendary casting director Bonnie Timmerman (Black Hawk Down), John Ennis (Mr. Show), and so many more!
Growing to prominence at Quentin Tarantino's New Beverly Cinema, the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival is proud to be partnered with the biggest venue in Los Angeles: LA LIVE / Staples Center...while honoring our original mission to recognize and the best new filmmakers and most important independent films from across the globe.
HRIFF honors the best new filmmakers alongside our Hollywood premieres. Featuring weeks of film screenings, parties, and celebrity events; all held annually at the world-famous L.A. Live / Staples Center, and the iconic cinemas of Hollywood, California.
Award of Excellence Honorees have included: Warren Beatty, Alejandro Jodoworsky, Gerard Depardieu, Vanessa Redgrave, Tinto Brass, Peter O'Toole, Robin Williams, Gene Wilder, animators Don Hertzfeld & Bill Plympton, alongside the newest filmmaking discoveries honored each year at the HRIFF Awards.
The Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival has also notably hosted some of the last major public honors and appearances for cinema icons including: Martin Landau (Ed Wood, Mission Impossible), John Heard (Home Alone, X-Men), Jon Polito (Big Lebowski), and the legendary Harry Dean Stanton (Aliens, Repo Man, Lucky, Paris Texas).
HRIFF Filmmaker and Talent Alumni include: Werner Herzog, Ron Howard, Michael Apted, Errol Morris, D.A. Pennebaker, Emily Mortimer, James Franco, James Caan, Fred Roos, Paul Rudd, Guy Pierce, Joe Lo Truglio, Blake Anderson, Mercedes Ruehl, Ian McShane, Edward James Olmos, Sandra Oh, Lisa Kudrow, Jason Alexander, Bryce Dallas Howard, Elliott Gould, Terri Polo, Janeane Garofalo, Zack Braff, Winnie Holzman, Martin Starr, Fred Willard, Pamela Adlon, Tony Hale, Richard Lewis, Doug Jones, David Arquette, Carla Gallo, Bai Ling, C. Thomas Howell, Harry Lennix, Takuji Suzuki, Daryl Hannah, Tom Noonan, Jeremy Sisto, and Jonathan Pryce.
ACADEMY AWARD© WINNING DISCOVERIES
Oscar© and Golden Globe© nominated HRIFF premieres include: "Manchester By The Sea", "The Act of Killing", "Anomalisa", "Force Majeure", "The Look of Silence", "Rules Don't Apply", "Trumbo", "Lucky", "Blade of the Immortal", "Killing of a Sacred Deer" and many more!
Academy Award© Winning Short Films to premiere at HRIFF include "The Lady In Number 6", the animated film "Mr. Hublot", and the animated films of Bill Plympton.
HRIFF premieres to received acclaim and distribution include: "The Act of Killing", "Force Majeure", "Bridegroom", "Anomalisa", "The Look of Silence", "Assault on Wall Street: Bailout", "Day At The Pool", "Henri", "Sex, Violence and Family Values", "Forget Me Not", "Bible Storyland", "The Silent Thief", "Drift", and "The Lady In Number 6".
Talent discoveries at HRIFF (listed with their most recent projects) include: Alanna Masterson (HRIFF Best Actress 2010 Winner, now starring in The Walking Dead), Alex Meraz (now starring in Suicide Squad), Dean West (The Ledge), Steve Hicks (The Fuzz), Sean Brosnan (No Easy Days), Toby Hemingway (Black Swan), Tyler Blackburn (Pretty Little Liars), and Keir Gilchrist (star of the new Netflix series Atypical).
CINEMA RETROSPECTIVES & RESTORATIONS
Festival retrospectives on cinema creators and performers include recent tributes to: Michael Mann, Kenneth Lonergan, Warren Oates, Haskell Wexler, John Cassavetes, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, and Dusan Makavejev, as well as hosting our own HRIFF premiere restorations of perviously unseen work from cinema masters Tinto Brass and Hugo Niebeling.
All of this helps us to create the one Hollywood Film Festival event each year that is not to be missed!
HRIFF invites you to submit your film to the Hollywood film festival known for screening the largest selection of up-and-coming filmmakers, alongside an amazing slate of the best new independent cinema.
Join the historic HRIFF family of filmmakers today!
Submitted Films are eligible for 25 HRIFF Awards of Merit
Screenplays are eligible for 5 HRIFF Awards of Merit
Some Awards are eligible for sponsored prizes to be announced.
FILM SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Must be sent by FilmFreeway Online Screener (or via mail).
- Deadlines are POSTMARK DEADLINES.
- HRIFF is not responsible for postal damages or delays.
- Do Not send mail to be signed for (except for 35mm prints)
- Please do not send cash or any payments in the mail.
- Any discs, postcards, thumb drives & posters may not be returned.
- Send submissions in a standard flat rate envelope or smaller to reduce waste.
- Accepted submitters are notified by email.
- Films not accepted will be notified by email.
- Check your accounts around notification deadline dates for more information.
IF CONTACTED & SELECTED FOR EXHIBITION:
- Exhibition Copies: DVD+/DVD- (NTSC, Region 0 or 1)
- Blu-Ray (Region 0 or 1) accepted for Exhibition, but DVD (non-watermarked, matching chapters and aspect ratio) back-up is mandatory.
- DCP's are accepted (if supported by screening venue, and DVD back up recommended).
- 35mm film acceptable for Best Picture winner and may be available as a presentation format for other feature films (depending on venue of screening).
- No menu screens for Exhibition Copies.
- Once accepted for presentation, a physical Exhibition Copy of a any submitted film is necessary.
IF SENDING PRINTS VIA MAIL:
1615 North Wilcox Avenue
FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Submitter must be 18 years of age or older
(or have guardian to submit on your behalf) to enter the competition.
- In submitting to HRIFF, submitter is:
a) admitting copyright of film and images and
b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission.
- Festival times may be subject to delay or change.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- HRIFF is not responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
- In submitting, you grant HRIFF right to screen submission at no charge to the festival.
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
- All films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in 24 months after selection notification.
- Not all submissions received are selected for HRIFF.
- By submitting via FilmFreeway, you are agreeing to these Rules as well as the HRIFF Terms and Conditions below.
General TERMS AND CONDITIONS for HRIFF and HRIFF WEBSITE.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced. You agree that this Agreement may be automatically assigned by HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF), in its sole discretion, to a third party.
Section headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
This Agreement, along with any other terms and conditions listed by HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL, sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. The provisions of this Agreement and any ancillary terms and conditions will survive termination or expiration to the extent necessary to carry out the intentions of the parties.
You acknowledge and agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California, excluding conflict of laws provisions thereof that would indicate the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction and you hereby submit to exclusive jurisdiction in the federal and state courts of California. You agree to receive service of process through certified mail or by other means sanctioned by law, and you expressly waive any claim of improper venue and any claim that such courts are an inconvenient forum.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL harmless from any claim, expense or demand, including without limitation reasonable attorneys´ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
By agreeing Submitter agrees to abide by all the Terms laid forth in the General Festival Rules listed for HRIFF, including GENERAL FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS.
GENERAL FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Film must not currently have major distribution in United States that conflicts with exhibition dates at the HRIFF festival.
- HRIFF will only accept international films that have been dubbed into English or subtitled.
- Festival times are subject to delay or change.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- In case of non-receipt of functioning Exhibition Print HRIFF may use any Preview or Review screeners submitted.
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service.
- Films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in the next 48 months as to be determined by HRIFF.
- By submitting your film for review submitter is a) admitting copyright of film and images and b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission.
- By submitting you agree HRIFF has the right to screen your film with no additional exhibition fees or charges to the festival from filmmakers or film copyright owners.
- Festival is not responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
- Submitters must be 18 years of age or older (or have your parent/guardian to submit on your behalf) to enter the competition.
- By submitting with any payment, you are agreeing to abide by these terms, rules, and guidelines:
COPYRIGHT. All content contained on HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF) website, including but not limited to photographs, text, graphics, logos, icons, images and software (collectively, "Content"), is the property of HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL and is protected by U.S. and/or international copyright laws. Risk of Loss. You acknowledge and agree that your only remedy for failures, delays or interruptions with respect to the ordering of and delivery of passes ordered by you is limited to a refund for such passes, issued at the discretion of the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL.
Right To Enter. Entrants warrant that they have the legal right to enter film work to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL. As Director/Producer/Submitter of the Film, entrants have submitted and represent and warrant to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL that the Film and all parts thereof are original; that the Film does not contravene the rights of any person or entity and that entrants own or control the Film and all parts thereof and have the sole authority to submit the Film to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL; the Film entrants submitted to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL is not subject to nor threatened by any litigation. Entrants acknowledge that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between the Festival and entrants, and entrants further acknowledge that no such relationship is established by these guidelines, the submission of the Film, or by the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL'S acceptance, review or retention of your submission (film, screenplay, etc.).
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION AT HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS, OR ENTERING INTO ANY HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENT, CONTEST, FESTIVAL OR COMPETITION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND TO YOU, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. SPECIFICALLY, THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR RELIANCE ON CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR CAUSED BY YOUR CONDUCT. THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE, AND THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH ATTENDANCE AT ANY EVENT / ENTERING ANY COMPETITION / SUBMITTING ANY WORK FOR REVIEW OR SCREENING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR ANTICIPATED LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL AND ITS AFFILIATES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE WEBSITE OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $200.