The VIII edition of the Guayaquil International Film Festival will be held from August 25 to September 1, 2022, in hybrid format, with screenings in Supercines and online platforms, from the city of Santiago de Guayaquil, Ecuador. It will have special events such as workshops and master classes, among others, thus consolidating an unforgettable film experience.
1.- Golden Iguana and Silver Iguana Statuette, in approximately 20 categories.
2.- The winning Ecuadorian films in their different categories will be nominated to participate in various International Film Festivals that maintain alliance with our festival, up to one year after their presence in Guayaquil.
Commercial screening for two weeks in Supercines, the largest cinema chain in Ecuador, of the winning film in the categories: Best Fiction Feature Film of the Festival and Best Ecuadorian Feature Film.
- The Guayaquil International Film Festival is committed to the artistic, technical and discursive development of the cinematographic art, therefore, only films with important authorial components, which are sustained under an innovative look that contributes to the cinematographic art, will be accepted.
- Only works completed on or after January 2021 are eligible to participate.
- Films whose main language is not Spanish must be subtitled in Spanish, otherwise they will be disqualified.
- Participating films will be screened in commercial theaters. The filmmakers, producers and distributors of the selected films will not receive any financial compensation for the screenings.
- Of the projects selected by the festival, the representatives are responsible for sending the film online in DCP file, to the following email address: email@example.com. This version (if it is an updated version of the one sent for the call) must reach our email no later than August 1, 2022.
- Registration to the festival is voluntary, therefore, producers and distributors who register commit to send us their film and not to withdraw it from the festival in case of being selected.
- Each distribution company, production company or filmmaker of the film they represent, must enter their work in the corresponding category. There is no limit to the number of entries.
- For the official competition, participating films cannot have any kind of open online exhibition during the selection process. Films that are publicly available on any online platform will be automatically disqualified.
- The participation of Ecuadorian films screened in national cinemas, or on the Internet, will not be allowed during the week of the Festival.
- Ecuadorian films that have been previously screened in commercial cinemas will not be allowed to participate.
- The official selection and awards are not subject to appeal.
- The festival accepts short films from 1 minute to a maximum of 15 minutes in length, and feature films from 50 minutes with no maximum length limit. There is no exception for any category or genre. Unfinished works will not be accepted.
Division by groups and sections:
- Group 1:
In this group, international and Ecuadorian films are accepted, divided by the following sections:
- Feature film competition: fiction.
- Feature film competition: documentaries.
- Short film competition: fiction.
- Short film competition: documentaries.
- Group 2:
This group opens the doors to new expressions that offer an important character of innovation and cinematographic discovery. It is divided into the following sections:
- Music videos (online competition)
- CinemaMinute (online competition)
- Animated short films.
- Experimental films (Includes video art, video essay, video dance, and all forms of audiovisual experimentation. It is limited in length from 1 to 30 minutes).
- Group 3:
Exclusive category for professional works from the province of Guayas, short or feature films; fiction, documentary and/or animated. Films shot only in the province of Guayas by local or foreign filmmakers or companies with an address in the province of Guayas that contribute to the industry's activity, or 80% of which have locations in Guayas. Finally, films whose directors, producers or screenwriters were born in Guayas will be considered as films in this category.
- The organization WILL NOT PAY a screening fee to the films that are selected in our 2022 programming, since participation is voluntary from distributors, producers and/or director(s).
- The responsible person at the time of registration confirms that he/she has all the rights for the exhibition of the work, including script, music, audio, photography, video and graphics.
- Registration fees:
The amounts to be paid for registration will vary according to the date and category of the film.
This year the following periods are established, with their respective fees:
Early registration, from January 10 to February 9, 2022.
Standard registration, from February 10 to March 31, 2022.
Late registration, from April 1 to April 30, 2022.
Extended registration, May 1 to May 31, 2022.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at +593 968165892, Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm in Ecuador or visit us on our social networks @festicineguayaquil.