*** The 8th Green Film Fest is scheduled for September 2018 ***
* The Call for Entries will open in February 2018 and the Festival dates will be announced at that time *
Be part of San Francisco's leading event for films & discussions about people and the planet.
We are seeking compelling and relevant new films on the environment & sustainability. As well as the opportunity to screen your film in the San Francisco Bay Area, being a part of the Festival will connect you with local partners to support the ongoing success of your film.
The festival is open to new or established filmmakers from anywhere in the world and there are no restrictions on length or genre. All entries are eligible for the Festival's Awards.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Now heading into its seventh year, the Green Film Fest is a hub for the eco-savvy and green-curious to meet filmmakers, environmental experts and campaigners to watch, discuss, and create ideas for a better world.
The 2017 festival presented 71 new films from both advanced & emerging filmmakers. 30 of the films had a female director, 1/3 were by International filmmakers, and 1/3 were by San Francisco Bay Area filmmakers. 105 guest speakers participated in lively audiences Q&As, with filmmakers alongside leading scientists, academics and activists.
Festival venues include the Castro Theatre, Roxie, and other locations in San Francisco and Berkeley.
SFGFF is also a member of the Green Film Network, which brings together the major film festivals around the globe that focus on environmental issues. (greenfilmnet.org)
Awards & Prizes
GREEN FIRE AWARD
- Best Bay Area Environmental Documentary Feature juried award with $5,000 cash prize.
- The award recognizes the best of Independent documentary filmmaking in the San Francisco Bay Area by honoring innovative storytelling and new perspectives on environmental topics.
- All Feature submissions from filmmakers who are currently resident in the San Francisco Bay Area or films about the San Francisco Bay Area will be eligible for the award.
- We consider a feature film to be 50 minutes or over in length.
- Finalists will be announced in August 2018 and shown in competition at Green Film Fest.
CLIMATE ACTION SHORTS
- Juried awards in four categories, each with $300 cash prize and Autodesk software.
- For short films of 3 minutes or less that bring us positive solutions to meet the challenges of climate change.
- Prizes will be given to the best films in each category: K-8; High School; General Public; Organizations.
- For full details, visit greenfilmfest.org/contest
In addition, Green Film Fest 2018 will present awards for:
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Green Tenacity Award
- Inspiring Lives Award
- Audience Award
All submitted films are eligible, as determined by the Festival. Read more about the awards and past winners here: greenfilmfest.org/filmmakers#AWARDS
Rules & Terms
To qualify, productions MUST have an environmental topic.
We are seeking stories that explore the relationship between people and the planet. In particular, we are interested in these areas:
- Changing Cities
- Climate Change
- Environmental Health
- Future of Food
- Zero Waste
However, any environmental topic will be considered.
- All submissions must be completed after January 1, 2016.
- All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
- There are no restrictions on length or genre: documentaries, narratives, animations, features, shorts, student works and other media will all be considered for inclusion.
- There is no 'Premiere' requirement for inclusion in the Festival.
- Work-in-progress films that are not final cuts may be entered, but please clearly note what is missing or will change.
- If your film was submitted for previous editions of the Green Film Fest, you may re-enter it if you have made significant changes and if the eligibility requirements are met.
- More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry form and entry fee must accompany each submission.
- Youth Filmmakers (age 18 and under) submit for free!
All entrants will receive notification by August 1.
If selected, you will be required to supply your film on one of the following formats for screening at the Green Film Festival: DCP, Blu-Ray, DVD, or QuickTime file (ProRes, H264).
All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
You will be required to pay for shipping of your film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. SFGFF reserves the right to determine eligibility of any project submitted.
2. All submitted materials become the property of SFGFF for internal and archival purposes.
3. If accepted, the producer agrees to provide the festival with one of these presentation formats: DCP, BluRay, DVD, or QuickTime file (ProRes, H264). The producer or distributor agrees to pay for shipping of film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
4. By submitting a film entry, the producer agrees that all rights and clearances have been obtained, that any copyrighted sound, music, image or content included in the work have been legally cleared for use, and that SFGFF is not responsible for any copyright infringement resulting from public screenings.
5. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge SFGFF has the right to copy any submitted material and use images and trailers for SFGFF’s non-commercial use. Promotional use may include a clip of any accepted film being included in a radio or TV program, or in a festival trailer for Green Film Fest.
6. Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted while in the possession of the Festival. However, SFGFF cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage.
7. Awards & Prizes will be given to the winning film director(s) and will be fulfilled approximately 8-12 weeks after the Festival closing night. Award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes on cash prizes. Awards & Prizes may be modified and eligibility is at the sole discretion of SFGFF.
8. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to abide by these General Rules and Terms & Conditions of the San Francisco Green Film Festival.