*** UPDATE JULY 1: Our 2019 Festival dates have now moved from Sept 11-15 to Sept 24-29. Notifications will now go out on August 9.***
Join the West Coast's leading event for films & discussions that spark green ideas and actions.
The San Francisco Green Film Festival is about more than movies - it's a movement. Our audiences, communities, filmmakers and experts come together to discover, discuss, and develop actions that inspire change for a better, more sustainable world.
Green Film Fest 2019 will feature a vibrant line up of 60 new, innovative environmental films, connecting passionate audiences and established community organizations with international filmmakers and expert guests in the arts and environment.
We are seeking compelling, critical new films on the environment & sustainability. The festival is open to new or established filmmakers from anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions on length or genre, and all entries are eligible for the Festival's Awards.
Acceptance into the Festival 2019 Official Selection means that in addition to the opportunity to screen your film in front of our San Francisco audiences, we will also connect you with local partners to support the ongoing success & impact of your film. Read the reviews below on what our 2018 filmmakers are saying.
SFGFF is a member of the international Green Film Network (greenfilmnet.org), an association of the world's major environmental film festivals, giving further opportunities for outreach and connection with a global audience. We are also official partners of the United Nations Environment Programme, Connect4Climate, and a member of the Film Festival Alliance.
GREEN FIRE AWARD
- Juried award for Best San Francisco Bay Area Environmental Feature with $2,500 cash prize.
- The award recognizes the best of Independent documentary filmmaking in the San Francisco Bay Area by honoring innovative storytelling and new perspectives on environmental topics.
- All Feature submissions (50+ min) from filmmakers who are currently resident in the San Francisco Bay Area or films that are about the SF Bay Area are eligible.
- Finalists will be announced in August and shown in competition at Green Film Fest 2019.
YOUNG FILMMAKER COMPETITION
- Juried awards for filmmakers age 18 and under in three categories: Elementary School; Middle School; High School
- For short films that bring us positive solutions to meet the challenges of climate change.
- $250 cash prizes will be given to the best films in each category; and the Young Filmmaker Award to best overall film.
- For full details, visit greenfilmfest.org/contest
In addition, Green Film Fest 2019 will present awards for:
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Green Tenacity Award
- Inspiring Lives Award
- Audience Award
All submitted films are eligible, as determined by the Festival. Read more about the awards and past winners here: greenfilmfest.org/filmmakers#AWARDS
To qualify, productions MUST have an environmental topic or angle.
We are seeking stories that explore the relationship between people and the planet.
In particular, we are interested in stories that represent diverse communities, especially powerful Women and vital Indigenous Cultures around the globe who are leading the way on climate. We are also interested in stories that present new economic models.
Other topics include:
- Clean Energy
- Sustainable Cities
- Healthy Food Systems
- Youth Activism
- Green Economy
However, any environmental topic or angle will be considered.
- All films must be completed after January 1, 2017.
- All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
- There are no restrictions on length or genre: documentaries, narratives, animations, features, shorts, student works, installations, VR, and other media will all be considered for inclusion. Feature films are considered 50 minutes or over.
- There is no 'Premiere' requirement for inclusion in the Festival.
- Work-in-progress films that are not final cuts may be entered, but please clearly note what is missing or will change.
- If your film was submitted for previous editions of the Green Film Fest, you may re-enter it if you have made significant changes and if the eligibility requirements are met.
- More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry form and entry fee must accompany each submission.
- Youth Filmmakers (age 18 and under) always submit for free!
All entrants will receive notification by July 22.
If selected, you will be required to supply your film on one of the following formats for screening at the Green Film Festival: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), Blu-Ray, or DVD..
All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
You will be required to pay for shipping of your film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. SFGFF reserves the right to determine eligibility of any project submitted.
2. All submitted materials become the property of SFGFF for internal and archival purposes.
3. If accepted, the producer agrees to provide the festival with one of these presentation formats: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), BluRay, or DVD. The producer or distributor agrees to pay for shipping of film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
4. By submitting a film entry, the producer agrees that all rights and clearances have been obtained, that any copyrighted sound, music, image or content included in the work have been legally cleared for use, and that SFGFF is not responsible for any copyright infringement resulting from public screenings.
5. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge SFGFF has the right to copy any submitted material and use images and trailers for SFGFF’s non-commercial use. Promotional use may include a clip of any accepted film being included in a radio or TV program, or in a festival trailer for Green Film Fest.
6. Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted while in the possession of the Festival. However, SFGFF cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage.
7. Awards & Prizes will be given to the winning film director(s) and will be fulfilled approximately 4-6 weeks after the Festival closing night. Award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes on cash prizes. Awards & Prizes may be modified and eligibility is at the sole discretion of SFGFF.
8. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to abide by these General Rules and Terms & Conditions of the San Francisco Green Film Festival.