Be part of San Francisco's leading event for films & discussions about people and the planet.
Green Film Fest 2018 will be a city-wide celebration aligning with the Global Climate Action Summit (globalclimateactionsummit.org), bringing leaders from around the world to San Francisco in support of the Paris Climate Agreement. We'll have a vibrant line up of 70 new, forward-thinking environmental films, connecting passionate audiences with international filmmakers and guests.
We are seeking compelling and relevant new films on the environment & sustainability. The festival is open to new or established filmmakers from anywhere in the world and there are no restrictions on length or genre. All entries are eligible for the Festival's Awards.
As well as the opportunity to screen your film to our San Francisco audiences, being a part of the Festival will connect you with local partners to support the ongoing success & impact of your film. Read the reviews below on what our 2017 filmmakers are saying.
SFGFF is a member of Green Film Network (greenfilmnet.org), an association of the world's major environmental film festivals, giving further opportunities for outreach and connection with a global audience.
GREEN FIRE AWARD
- Juried award for Best San Francisco Bay Area Environmental Feature.
- The award recognizes the best of Independent documentary filmmaking in the San Francisco Bay Area by honoring innovative storytelling and new perspectives on environmental topics.
- All Feature submissions from filmmakers who are currently resident in the San Francisco Bay Area or films that are about the SF Bay Area will be eligible for the award.
- We consider a feature film to be 50 minutes or over in length.
- Finalists will be announced in August and shown in competition at Green Film Fest 2018.
YOUNG FILMMAKER COMPETITION
- Juried awards for filmmakers age 18 and under in three categories: Elementary School; Middle School; High School
- For short films that bring us positive solutions to meet the challenges of climate change.
- Cash prizes will be given to the best films in each category; and the Young Filmmaker Award to best overall film.
- For full details, visit greenfilmfest.org/contest
In addition, Green Film Fest 2018 will present awards for:
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Green Tenacity Award
- Inspiring Lives Award
- Audience Award
All submitted films are eligible, as determined by the Festival. Read more about the awards and past winners here: greenfilmfest.org/filmmakers#AWARDS
To qualify, productions MUST have an environmental topic or angle.
We are seeking stories that explore the relationship between people and the planet. In particular, we are interested in these areas:
- Changing Cities
- Climate Change
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Justice
- Zero Waste
However, any environmental topic or angle will be considered.
- All submissions must be completed after January 1, 2016.
- All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
- There are no restrictions on length or genre: documentaries, narratives, animations, features, shorts, student works, installations, VR, and other media will all be considered for inclusion.
- There is no 'Premiere' requirement for inclusion in the Festival.
- Work-in-progress films that are not final cuts may be entered, but please clearly note what is missing or will change.
- If your film was submitted for previous editions of the Green Film Fest, you may re-enter it if you have made significant changes and if the eligibility requirements are met.
- More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry form and entry fee must accompany each submission.
- Youth Filmmakers (age 18 and under) always submit for free!
All entrants will receive notification by July 15.
If selected, you will be required to supply your film on one of the following formats for screening at the Green Film Festival: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), Blu-Ray, or DVD..
All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
You will be required to pay for shipping of your film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. SFGFF reserves the right to determine eligibility of any project submitted.
2. All submitted materials become the property of SFGFF for internal and archival purposes.
3. If accepted, the producer agrees to provide the festival with one of these presentation formats: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), BluRay, or DVD. The producer or distributor agrees to pay for shipping of film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
4. By submitting a film entry, the producer agrees that all rights and clearances have been obtained, that any copyrighted sound, music, image or content included in the work have been legally cleared for use, and that SFGFF is not responsible for any copyright infringement resulting from public screenings.
5. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge SFGFF has the right to copy any submitted material and use images and trailers for SFGFF’s non-commercial use. Promotional use may include a clip of any accepted film being included in a radio or TV program, or in a festival trailer for Green Film Fest.
6. Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted while in the possession of the Festival. However, SFGFF cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage.
7. Awards & Prizes will be given to the winning film director(s) and will be fulfilled approximately 4-6 weeks after the Festival closing night. Award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes on cash prizes. Awards & Prizes may be modified and eligibility is at the sole discretion of SFGFF.
8. By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to abide by these General Rules and Terms & Conditions of the San Francisco Green Film Festival.