The Gold Coast Film Festival brings diverse Australian and International films, filmmakers and film events to the Gold Coast.
As the city’s flagship film event, the Gold Coast Film Festival promotes the Gold Coast as a major Australian filmmaking destination, helps develop the filmmakers and crew working in the local industry and is committed to supporting the continued economic benefit and job creation by the screen industry in the region.
In 2017, we became an AACTA-Award qualifying film festival for feature films.
Our location is one with a heritage of filmmaking, with international filmmaking introduced on the Gold Coast in the late 1980’s. Fast-forward to 2017 and major international films Unbroken, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thor: Rangarok and Aquaman have chosen the Gold Coast’s incredible locations and highly competent crew to shoot their multi-million dollar films.
The 15th annual Gold Coast Film Festival ran across 11 days in April 2017 with over 90 film and film related events in 13 different Gold Coast locations, the festival entertained and inspired over 15,300 people.
SIPFest, otherwise known as the Shorts in Paradise Festival, is an annual showcase of the best short films from across Australia.
SIPFest transforms Surfers Paradise beach into a vibrant and unique cinema, delivering a unique outdoor film experience like no other in Australia. With sand below and stars above, the crowd will be captivated by 10 minute cinematic masterpieces by emerging filmmakers from around the country.
Thrillers, dramas, comedy, documentary and more of a (guide) classification 'M' or below will be judged by a panel of industry experts and awarded $8,000 in prizes. The audience can also cast their vote on the night for the people’s choice award.
SIPFest short films will be judged by an incredible panel of local and international judges, including Anthony Kierann (Event Cinemas General Manager - Film festivals, Australian Cinema, Programs), Heather Mailman (SeaFM presenter and actress), Thomas Grimshaw (International programmer - London Short Film Festival), Diya Eid (Vice President of Content - Screen Queensland) and Michael Sergi (Head of Film and Television - Bond University).
SIPFest 2018 will run on the famous Surfers Paradise beachfront, Sunday April 22, 2018
If you have an Australian short film under 10 minutes produced in the last two years, enter it into SIPFEST 2018.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>WHY SUBMIT TO GOLD COAST FILM FESTIVAL?<<<<<<<<<<<<<
- AACTA-Award Qualifying Film Festival for Features
- We look after indie filmmakers and will try wherever possible to fly selected cast/crew in and accommodate you.
- You can take part in professional development through relevant, useful and engaging Q&As, panels and workshops - in 2017, we offered industry panels and over 150 guest speakers, panellists or moderators, including Aquaman EP Rob Cowan, Dressmaker producer Sue Maslin, actress/producer Claudia Karvan and many more!
- Opportunities to make valuable connections with Queensland, national and international industry guests
- SIPFEST offers some great cash prizes - $8000
- $10,000 in camera equipment for the Best Australian Indie Film
- $500 cash prize a DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio to the Best Australian Indie Film Peer Award
We highly encourage entries from films with female creative leads. We deliver a program that supports equality with a commitment to having 50% women speakers across the festival, all films rated by the Bechdel Test and Australia’s first film festival childcare offering.
If you would like to speak to any filmmakers who have screened at GCFF in the past, please let us know - we'd be happy to put you in touch.
We are an AACTA-Award qualifying film festival for feature films.
In 2018, we’ll be awarding our second Best Australian Indie Film Award for best feature film. The winner will receive $10,000 in camera equipment thanks to Blackmagic Design!
We'll also be awarding the Peer Award for the Best Australian Indie Film. Thanks to The Green Room app, the winner will receive a $500 case prize plus a DaVinco Resolve 14 Studio from Blackmagic Design!
Prize Categories for SIPFest:
$8,000 up for grabs in nine categories!
Best Film: $3000
Runner up Best Film: $1000
People’s Choice: $1000
Best Film by a Gold Coast resident: $500
Best Film showcasing Surfers Paradise: $500
Best Screenplay: $1000
Best Actor: $500
Best Actress: $500
SIPFest winners will also screen before Australian feature films in Event Cinemas across Australia!
Gold Coast Film Festival (including SIPFEST) will take place 17 – 29 April 2018. By submitting your film (Film) to Gold Coast Film Festival (Festival), which is organized by Gold Coast Film Fantastic (A.C.N. 098 091 260) (GCFF), you (Filmmaker) agree to the following:
1. All the information provided either through the online entry form or through email correspondence with GCFF is true and accurate.
2. You either own the rights to, or have permission to use, the footage, sound, music, images and all other contributions that are part of the Film to the extent necessary to submit the Film to the Festival and, if accepted, screen the Film at the Festival. Please note: if you have any doubts about any of the rights in the Film, you must notify the Festival at the time of submission.
If your film is selected to screen as part of Gold Coast Film Festival:
1. You grant GCFF a royalty-free, non-exclusive, Australian licence to screen the Film between 17 – 29 April 2018.
2. You agree to provide GCFF with a downloadable version of the short Film or DCP of feature Film by no later than 15 March 2018
3. GCFF will prepare professional session compiles at its own cost for screening at all its venues. You grant GCFF all necessary rights to copy and otherwise reproduce the Film for the purpose of making such compiles and otherwise screening the Film and promoting the Festival and GCFF.
4. You must notify GCFF immediately if any of the rights in the Film become disputed or a claim is made against you in relation to the Film.
5. You must indemnify GCFF and the Festival from all claims made against GCFF or the Festival arising from or in connection with the submission of the Film, or any infringement of any intellectual property in connection with the screening of the Film as part of the Festival.
6. You grant GCFF and the Festival a royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide licence to use film excerpts, film stills, press kits and other promotional materials from the Film for publicity and promotional purposes in relation to the Festival, including on its website.