100% of the proceeds from the 2021 contest went towards the homelessness crisis in Los Angeles in the form of a donation to Safe Place for Youth.
The Future Drifter -Short- Films Screenwriting Contest is proud to announce...
"Dream Reaper" by Dorothy De Kok is the WINNER of the contest.
"Paradise" by Leah Shore
"The Dreamory" by Brownell Landrum
"The Hitchhiker" by Trevor Davis
"The Field" by Dana Kippel
This first year of our contest was an incredible experience for everyone involved because of great works like this. Part of Future Drifter Films' mission is to consistently facilitate growth. Over 50% of the submissions to this contest were written with this contest in mind. That means a quick turnaround of material, which is very hard to do. It takes discipline and determination. This is the stuff of talent!
These short screenplays were very unique. They came from a powerful place of Truth from each writer. This is the stuff of artistry!
Abraham Lincoln said "The only way to predict the future is to create it." Thank you fellow Future Drifters, originals who know life is a journey, for including us in your path towards a beautiful future.
Ethan Frank, Contest Director
Mi Kwan LOCK (陸 美 群), Judge
Anthony Grasso, Judge
Sean Mann, Judge
Robert Bella, Judge
Olivia Cama, Script Analyst
* $500 in Cash to our Grand Prize Winner.
* Top 5 Finalists - Your script will be sent to various members in our +Industry Circle.
* Top 5 Finalists - Consideration for collaboration with Future Drifter Films.
* Custom Future Drifter -Short- Films Laurels
+Industry Circle: First and foremost, this includes our esteemed judges. In addition, this includes producers from production companies based in Europe, New York City, and Los Angeles with net profits of box office sales totaling over $3 billion worldwide. Additional members of our circle include professional Actors, Writers, and Directors based in Los Angeles. The best screenwriters from this contest will benefit from feedback and exposure to this powerful group. However, there is no guarantee of an industry deal for representation or for production of the submitted script.
- This contest is open to any writer, 18 years of age or older.
- Scripts must be submitted in English and properly formatted according to industry standards.
- Only one script per person may be submitted.
- Scripts must be 15 pages or less.
- Scripts must not have been previously produced, in development, or in any stage of production.
- Only PDFs will be accepted.
- There is a $15 entrance fee with submissions.
- Requests for script coverage can be made for an additional $15.
- The script must be original content in the genre of science fiction OR a Shakespearean derivative work with elements of science fiction. (Citing is required to the Shakespearean piece that your derivative work is based upon.)
○ Science Fiction genre requirements: Settings that take place in a hypothetical future or alternate version of reality or unique location where special technology, superpowers, or alien beings can exist.
- Every script will be carefully scrutinized for quality of writing and the potential to win the contest. However, Future Drifter Films reserves the right to give preference to scripts that are practical to produce, that is, budgets of under $20,000. For example, if the script requires complex action sequences, CGI, or a large ensemble of actors, there is less possibility that it will be selected winner as the of this contest.
- By submitting to the Future Drifter -Short- Films screenwriting contest, all listed creators authorize the submission. In submitting your work to the Future Drifter -Short- Films screenwriting contest you are admitting that your entry does not infringe on the copyright of a previous work.
- In the event of multiple authors of the prize-winning work, the award money will be divided equally among listed creators.