NEW THIS YEAR: From our Dark Side is shifting to an advanced development model and will now only accept full length feature scripts instead of 5-page concept outlines.
Submit your full length genre script by November 20 for the chance to be selected for an incubator program designed to advance your feature film project and increase your knowledge of the genre market.
- Projects must be for a feature film
- Projects should have a director and lead producer attached (*preference is given to projects with director & producer attached; projects without will still be considered)
- Writers & Directors must be self-identifying women, with preference given to all-women teams
- First draft scripts are eligible, so long as they are complete
- From Our Dark Side Alumni and those who have submitted in the past are welcome to submit with full length scripts.
- Program is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents only and productions must qualify as Canadian.
What is genre film?
Genre projects include thrillers, western, science fiction, fantasy and horror – or any imaginative combination of these. Genre is filled with character types like (but in no way limited to): fairies, mutants, killers, aliens, elves, zombies, vampires, werewolves, cannibals, psychopaths, ghosts, demons, ghostly demons (you get the idea). Expected plot elements or genre “tropes” could include time travel, space travel, brain-enhancing drugs, dystopian worlds, invading plants, prophecies, exorcisms, murders, carnivals and human sacrifice.
From Our Dark Side sees limitless possibilities in genre for women storytellers. This incubator is designed to provide you with a better understanding of the market, the fans and the kinds of stories that will connect and kick some genre ass.
Women in Film and Television Vancouver believes in fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment, where all participants and staff feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a program that reflects Canada's diversity of all of our communities and prioritizes voices from the Indigenous, BIPOC and LGBTQIA2 members of the Canadian genre industry.
This WIFTV program is produced by Lindsay Peters, with Board members Sharon McGowan and Peggy Thompson, under the guidance of an Advisory Board of genre film experts that has included directors such as Karen Lam, Amanda Tapping, Rachel Talalay and Rupert Harvey.
From Our Dark Side is made possible thanks to the support of Telefilm Canada, Super Channel, and Creative BC.
A jury of top genre creators will select five projects. Projects will participate in the From our Dark Side incubator program from March to July 2021.
From our Dark Side is designed to advance your career and your genre project through:
Workshops & conferences starting at the virtual Vancouver International Women in Film Festival (VIWFF) in March 2021
Consultations and group meetings on packaging, financing and pitching between March and July 2021
Participating experts will include: a pitch coach, a digital marketing strategist, a genre producer with expertise in independent budget & financing, a graphic artist to initiate the design of marketing materials.
The program will conclude at the Frontières International Co-Production Market in July 2021 at the Fantasia film festival in Montreal. Projects will participate in a special From our Dark Side pitch session and meet with leading international genre industry professionals (*please note that participation details and possible travel stipends will be subject to the structure of Frontières 2021; activities may be offered in a virtual setting only)
Project must be an ORIGINAL concept for a narrative feature film
(*if the project is an adaptation, you must provide documented proof that you hold the rights to this adaptation)
Projects must be in the advanced development stage and not have yet entered production
If your project has already secured any financing, you must submit proof of this financing and indicate the percentage you have not yet secured
Project must qualify as GENRE in nature (science fiction, fantasy, horror and thriller or a combination of these)
Project must be written & directed by a self-identifying woman and contain a strong representation of women’s roles
Project materials must be submitted in English but the project itself may be in any language (please indicate your project’s original language if it is non-English). Please note all related activities for winners will be conducted in English (*efforts will be made to accommodate other languages when possible)
Applicants may apply with a maximum of two projects.
Co-writers and co-directors may apply, but all writers & directors must be self-identifying women
In the case of co-writers & co-directors, each applicant may submit a maximum of two entries. For example, a writing team of two women may submit four projects total. Each entry requires its own registration and payment.
Two members of your team will be required to participate in the virtual elements of the incubator program and its related activities including selected events at the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival.
One team member will be invited to pitch your project at the July 2021 Frontières International Co-Production Market (*which may be virtual, hybrid, or in-person - travel and accommodation subsidies may be available, subject to event format)
Contest is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
Contestants retain all rights to their projects
Feedback cannot be provided on any submissions
Once an application is submitted, new or updated versions may not be submitted
Entrants agree to indemnify and hold From Our Dark Side, WIFTV, including our employees, our officers, and our partners and affiliates harmless against all claims arising out of entry or participation in the contest
By submitting your contest application, you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to all the aforementioned contest rules and regulations. You also assert that you are the author and owner of the original work
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Upload the following as ONE pdf document in the order as shown:
1. Project title with submitter’s contact information
2. LOGLINE (a short sentence that states the genre of the film, protagonists, their goal and their main obstacle)
3. 50-word SYNOPSIS of the project that introduces the main character(s), summarizes the main plot, the conflict, and the overall arc of the story (beginning, middle, and end) using words that reveal tone, genre, and intended audience
4. Team List - name all creative team members followed by a two-sentence description of each member’s previous credits (maximum of 3) or experience
5. Budget & Finance Plan: Please list your estimated budget in CAD and outline your finance plan (intended sources of funding, including the percentage each source will contribute to your overall budget). If you have any confirmed financing, please indicate the amount and the source and also include proof of agreement with these sources .
6. Goals - Outline in 250 words maximum your goals & motivations for participating in the From our Dark Side Program (what you hope to achieve through the program), as well as your overall timeline for completing your project, and what types of partners you are currently seeking.
7. A full-length script not more than 120 pages (please note the draft number and date of draft completion)
If your concept touches upon Indigenous traditional knowledge, linguistic or cultural intellectual property, or BIPOC or Queer content please include an additional page where describe your relationship to this content and how appropriate protocols are/will be observed or addressed.
ATTENTION / RELEASE RULES:
By submitting to the From Our Dark Side contest, the applicant(s) agree(s) to the following submission release rules:
You own or control the content of your script. You have the full and exclusive right to submit the script to WIFTV and no other person or corporation has any right, title or interest in the Proposal. The Outline is not defamatory and does not infringe upon or violate the privacy rights, copyrights, trademarks, publicity or other intellectual or proprietary rights of any third party.
WIFTV has the right to copy, use and distribute your submission package for the purpose of its evaluation and review. If selected, WIFTV has the right to publicize the title and a description of the Outline as well as your name as the author.
WIFTV, its representatives or assigns, including the jury and mentors for this contest, may already, or in the future, be developing materials similar to the Script. You acknowledge they have the unrestricted right to use these similar materials and you will have no right or recourse against WIFTV, its representatives or assigns for use of these similar materials.