Based in the area (in Buckinghamshire, England) that boasts one of the UK's great production studios at Pinewood, and NFTS, one of the world's best film schools, we want to create a buzz around local, national and international filmmaking talent!
Our mission is to bring the world of film to our screens by fostering filmmakers and growing audiences in our locality and beyond. From 2015 - 2018, we organised an annual autumn festival as the focus of our efforts. We started with showcasing local talent, and in 2016 held the first international film competition. This year, we have taken stock and decided to change the dates of our festival to run at the end of the film calendar, not too long after the film Awards season culminates in February 2020.
Our eyes are wide open and we are looking to be amazed! We continually seek what's excellent, interesting and different in our art-form and support and encourage that kind of filmmaking. We are looking toward a healthy, creative and diverse future industry. So send us your best!
We are interested in feature films between 70 and 125 minutes in length. Short documentaries and fictional films (including webisodes and unconventional narratives) are welcome as long as they run under 25 minutes. There is a specific category for Micro Shorts finishing under 4 minutes .
To encourage younger filmmakers, we have changed the age category to under 22 years old, where we particularly invite student and other budding young filmmakers to submit.
SHOW OFF YOUR SHORTS!
We believe that film festivals are about sharing experiences and so have a category called 'Show Off Your Shorts', designed for filmmakers who are keen to come and talk about their work in a sociable environment. This has gone down very well with our participants in the past.
Filmmakers submitting via this category are still judged as part of the whole competition. The difference is that, independent of their international competition status, if selected for Show Off Your Shorts, they will be invited to present and Q&A their work in person to an audience at a special event on the weekend of 6-8 March 2020.
Watch out for more information on festival events via our website and social media.
*photo credits: https://neilmarshment.co.uk*
Submissions open : 9th June 2019
Final Deadline : 10th January 2020
Film Festival dates : 27th February - 8th March 2020
Competition Screenings and Awards : 6-8th March 2020
100% of our competition short film selections are sourced from submissions!
• Best Short Film
• Best UK Short Film
• Best Director
• Best Screenplay
• Best Editing
• Best Actor
• Best Actress
• Best Cinematography
• Best Music
• Best Sound Design
• Best Production Design
• Best Documentary
• Best Young Filmmaker (22 years and under)
• Best Micro-Short Film (under 4 minutes)
• Best Feature Film
• No cash awards
• Unless otherwise agreed by the Festival in writing, awards will be given
to the winning film director on behalf of the film
The above listed awards are for the 2020 Fisheye Film Festival, and are subject to change by the Festival in its sole discretion.
The Fisheye Film Festival ("the Festival” or FFF )
The Fisheye Film Festival 2020 shall be referred to as FFF2020 in this document
GOLD members attract a discount to the fees below:
ENTRY FEES (SHORT & MICRO SHORT films) submitted before the following deadlines
* Superfast deadline $7.
* Earlybird deadline $10.
* Regular deadline A $15
* Regular deadline B $18
* Regular deadline C $20
*. Regular deadline D $25
* Late entry deadline $30
* Final deadline $35
ENTRY FEES by FILMMAKERS UNDER 22 years (SHORT & MICRO SHORT films) submitted before the following deadlines
* Superfast deadline $5
* Earlybird deadline $7
* Regular deadline A $10
* Regular deadline B $13
* Regular deadline C $15
*. Regular deadline D $18
* Late entry deadline $20
* Final deadline $25
ENTRY FEES (FEATURE films)
* Superfast deadline $20
* Earlybird deadline $30
* Regular deadline A $35
* Regular deadline B $40
* Regular deadline C $45
*. Regular deadline D $50
* Late entry deadline $65
* Final deadline $75
Note: Entry fees are per film and are non-refundable. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify a submission, without refund of any kind, if eligibility requirements are not met including if eligibility status changes post-submission.
To be eligible for consideration, you must fully comply with these Entry terms and conditions, including all deadlines, film length, entry material and other requirements.
• Please read the full terms and conditions before submitting your film
• Films must have been completed no earlier than 1 January 2019
• No films longer than 25 minutes for shorts
• Feature films must be no shorter than 70 minutes and no longer than 125 minutes
• All films to be made available in screening format as specified by venue if selected
(i.e. BluRay, DCP, DVD)
• Films not to have been available to general public prior to festival
(other festival screenings are permitted!)
• Films not to have distribution deals or VOD placement prior to festival
unless release falls after festival dates
• Films to be sent via FilmFreeway with a secure screening link to YouTube
or Vimeo and must be downloadable
• Films not in English must be submitted with English subtitles
By submitting to the Fisheye Film Festival through FilmFreeway, you are stating that you are the owner of your entry and it is your original work. While we understand that you retain all rights to ownership of the work, you hereby give the Fisheye Film Festival permission to feature, advertise, display, in whole or in part, the work titled and described herein, for festival purposes including promotion in future years.
You also understand that you entry is valid only upon completion of the following conditions: (1) receipt of a copy of the work, (2) the processing of the entry fee by the festival organization, and (3) when the work is found to be original and owned by you or those you represent.
It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your online entry form is properly submitted. You may email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm submission. It is also your responsibility to ensure the streaming link is functional and the link and password submitted are accurate. In the unlikely event of a password change or link change you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect the Festival will send an email to the submitter’s address on file to follow up. If a response with the correct information is not received within forty-eight (48) hours, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
The password protected link must be active at least through to October 31, 2020, and all entries MUST be received by the Festival no later than the applicable deadlines referenced above. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify any submission, without refund of any kind, if it is not completed in accordance with these Entry Rules and Regulations.
Each work is judged solely on its own merits.
NB – please submit your film to the category which you think suits best from the following list –
FEATURE FILMS: eligible for Best Feature Film award only
SHORT NARRATIVE films : eligible for all awards except Best Documentary and Best Young Filmmaker award
SHORT NARRATIVE films (filmmakers aged UNDER 22 years) : eligible for all awards except Best Documentary
SHORT DOCUMENTARY films (filmmakers aged UNDER 22 years): eligible for Best Director, Best Music, Best Sound design, Best Cinematography, Best Editing and Best Documentary awards, Best Young Filmmaker
SHORT DOCUMENTARY films: eligible for Best Director, Best Music, Best Sound design, Best Cinematography, Best Editing and Best Documentary awards
SHOW OFF YOUR SHORTS films : eligible for awards according to the category it belongs to from the above sections. Please note, if you submit to this category and are selected, attendance is mandatory in keeping with the spirit of the event – we want you to come and show and discuss your film with other filmmakers!
1. Please select only ONE SUBMISSION CATEGORY per project. Projects submitted in multiple categories could be subject to disqualification.
2. All films MUST BE submitted via ONLINE screener (Vimeo and YouTube preferred, but not required) through FilmFreeway. NO PHYSICAL DVD’s/Blu-Rays accepted for submission. Film must be downloadable links.
3. Film must have been completed AFTER 1 July 2018.
4. NO Premiere Status required.
5. Films can have a distribution deal, but should not be available Online (VOD, NetFlix, etc.) prior to the festival dates.
6. Films not in the English language must be SUBMITTED with English subtitles.
7. Maximum run time of 25 minutes for all short films (including credits). For feature films, minimum run time of 70 minutes, maximum run time of 125 minutes ( including credits).
8. All submitted films must be COMPLETE. We do not accept Work-In-Progress submissions.
9. Films eligible for the Micro-Short awards shall not exceed 4 minutes run time (including credits).
10. Only 1 entry per filmmaker across all competitions & categories.
11. Whilst not imperative, all filmmakers chosen to screen in the festival are politely requested to attend themselves where possible. We believe Film Festivals are as much about meeting your audience and fellow filmmakers as they are about screening your work!
12. All films selected for screening must be made available (at filmmakers’ cost) on the cinema’s preferred screening method (which may be physical DCP, Blu Ray or DVD – to be confirmed nearer the event).
13. Fisheye Film Festival is not liable for any damage or loss suffered during shipping, previewing, or screening. Any physical materials received by the Festival will not be returned.
14. Your digital signature on the entry form authorises us to use, without limitation, excerpts from your film for marketing purposes on television, in advertising, promotional items and/or news and other programs now and in perpetuity.
15. If your film is selected for screening at the festival, you will be asked to immediately forward: stills, a poster image, and an online trailer.
16. Any requests for submission fee waivers will be ignored. Sorry, but we mean it. We rely on submission fees to cover the expenses of the festival, which is staffed entirely by volunteers.
17. Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, permits necessary to present their work. Fisheye Film Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work.
18. Fisheye Film Festival reserves the right to make any necessary changes in festival scheduling. All submitting filmmakers will be notified of any regulation or date changes that affect them. Any changes to regulations after a submitter has already submitted will not apply to them.
19. Selected entries will be notified on or about January 17th, 2020
Festival programmers select and invite all films to be presented at the FFF2020, with Premiere status considered. Invited filmmakers will be notified by email or phone via the information provided. Make sure to update the Festival with new contact information or any other festival invitations prior to the FFF2020 at email@example.com
IF YOUR WORK IS SELECTED
If your work is selected, you must fulfill the following requirements by the date(s) designated by the Festival:
1. You must execute a release agreement wherein you
(i) accept responsibility for obtaining any and all clearances necessary to exhibit your film at FFF 2020;
(ii) warrant that you have the rights necessary to exhibit your film at FFF 2020; and
(iii) indemnify and hold harmless Fisheye Film festival, its affiliates, and subsidiaries and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, and representatives against any claim arising out of exhibition of your film at FFF 2020.
2 You must deliver to the address designated by the Festival
(i) one (1) exhibition copy (technical specifications must be confirmed by the Festival in advance) of the invited work; and
(ii) additional exhibition copies, if requested by the Festival (to allow for multiple screenings at more than one venue / juror screenings). We recommend you ship all exhibition copies via courier in order to permit the tracking of your film once it leaves your hands.
The required exhibition formats and delivery date deadlines will be confirmed by the Festival after invitations have been extended and confirmed. Please check in with the Festival staff before creating your Festival exhibition copy or copies to ensure the format and technical specifications are correct. DCP for features may be will be required for cinema screening, this will be confirmed at a later stage.
3 You must provide all press and publication material
4 You must provide at least one (1) DVD copy or downloadable link of the final, completed film for Festival archives and internal purposes.
FESTIVAL SECTIONS SERIES / PROGRAMMES
Films invited to participate in the FFF 2020 will be shown in the section, series or programme determined most appropriate by Festival programmers, in their sole discretion.
I, an authorised representative of the project being submitted (the "Film"), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film's submittal for consideration for the Fisheye Film Festival (the “Festival”): I am duly authorised, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the Festival. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the Film is being submitted to the Festival voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Festival to accept the Film for the Festival, to exhibit the Film at the Festival, or to return the Film to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Film’s Owners, that I and the Film’s Owners, in submitting the Film for consideration, are waiving and relinquishing any right to assert any claim or commence any proceeding against the Festival, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition, or failure to exhibit the Film. In the event that the Film is accepted by the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Festival without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and to grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided the Festival with a written consent from my parent or legal guardian.