The First 10 Pages Script Competition recognizes and showcases exceptional feature and television writing in all genres, and provides opportunities for writers to showcase their projects to industry executives, producers, agents, and managers.
All script entries receive a script listing on a custom page of the website. (You may opt out of receiving this benefit on the entry form if you do not wish to make your logline and contact info available.)
Why The First 10 Pages? A writer only has the first 10 pages (sometimes less) to grab an executive, producer, manager, agent, or talent and hook them into reading the entire screenplay. If the first 10 pages fail to capture the reader, it doesn’t matter how brilliant the rest of the script is, you have lost the opportunity to have your screenplay considered.
>> BENEFITS INCLUDED WITH YOUR SUBMISSION <<
A custom project page on the website to showcase your script to development executives, producers, managers and agents.+ Includes:
* Logline Listing
* Writer Bio
* Contact Email or Website
+ You may choose to opt-out of this benefit on the entry form if you do not wish your logline or contact info listed.
WINNERS – SHOWCASE
Winning scripts receive
* "Winner" Recognition Laurel
* Script listed on the "Winners & Official Selections" page of website
* Opportunity to showcase the first 10 pages of your script on a custom project page of the website for development executives, producers, and others to access. (You may opt-out of this award on the entry form if you do not want development executives, producers, and others to have access to your material or contact info).
OFFICIAL SELECTIONS – SHOWCASE
All scripts not classified as winners receive
* An "Official Selection" laurel
* Script listed on the "Winners & Official Selections" page of website
* Accepting feature screenplays and TV scripts in all genres
* Submit the first 10 pages of the script only.
* Entrant(s) must be 18 years of age or older.
* All entries must be in English.
* Submissions must be for narrative projects (no documentaries, no reality shows accepted)
* Multiple submissions are accepted. Each submission requires a separate entry.
* All entries must be submitted in PDF format. No exceptions.
* Title Page Format: Include title, and writer's name(s). (Contact information is optional, and not required. Please only include contact information you wish to make available publicly for executives to contact you.)
* Scripts must be in standard screenplay format. No exceptions.
* Both produced and unproduced scripts are eligible.
* Both represented and non-represented writers are eligible.
* Teams of writers are eligible.
* Scripts that have previously won a competition are eligible.
* Substitutions of corrected pages, revised material, or new drafts, require a new entry and payment.
* We DO NOT offer deadline extensions.
* We DO NOT offer fee waivers or discounts.
* WE DO NOT RESPOND TO REQUESTS FOR FEE WAIVERS, OR DISCOUNTS, OR DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.
* We DO NOT offer individual feedback on script submissions.
* All submission payments are final. We do not provide refunds.
* By submitting a script you confirm that you own the rights to the material submitted.
* By submitting a script you confirm that you have read and agree to our eligibility and rules. Judges decisions are final.
>> FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<
- ACCEPTED MATERIAL -
What genres do you accept?
The competition accepts scripts in ALL genres.
Can my submission be based on a previously released film or television show?
No, we do not currently accept material based on previous films or television shows.
Can my submission be based on a current television program?
No, we do not accept material based on current television shows.
Do you accept international submissions?
Yes, we welcome international writers. All submissions must be in English.
- DOCUMENT FORMATTING -
Do you have any specific formatting requirements?
Yes, all scripts must be submitted in standard script format. No exceptions.
* Font should be Courier 12 point
* Page numbers should be located in the upper right corner of each page
* Margins should be no less than 1-inch.
Do I need to include a title page with my script?
Yes. A title page is required.
What information do I need to include on the title page?
The title page MUST include:
* Title of Script
* Writer’s Name
Can I submit material in Final Draft or Word?
No, all entries must be submitted in PDF format. No exceptions.
How do I turn my document into a PDF file?
If you are using screenwriting software such as Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriting, the software will allow you to save your script as a PDF file. If you have written your script in Microsoft Word, you also have the option to save the document as a PDF file or to print as a PDF file (which saves the document in PDF format).
- SUBMITTING MATERIAL -
How do I submit my material for consideration?
Submissions are accepted via FilmFreeway.
Do I have to include a Copyright or WGA registration number with my submission?
No, it is not required, however we recommend you obtain a copyright or WGA registration number (or foreign equivalent) for your material.
Can I enter more than one script in the competition?
Yes, multiple submissions are accepted. Each submission requires a separate entry.
Can I submit a script under a pen name?
Yes. If you use a pen name, be sure to include and indicate your pen name on the title page. You must also include your legal name on the entry form. Entries that fail to include the legal name of the writer on the on the entry form will be disqualified.
If I use a pen name and my script wins or places in the competition, will the competition keep my legal name private?
Yes, if you use a pen name and your script wins or places in the competition, we will only publicize your pen name in association with your script.
If I rewrite my script after entering the competition can I submit my new draft?
Yes, new drafts of submitted scripts are accepted with a separate entry and fee payment.
Can I send a paper copy of my script to your mailing address?
No. We do not accept paper copies of scripts. Only PDF copies of scripts are accepted.
Why do you ask for a Writer Bio and what should I include?
Winning writers have the opportunity to have their profiles and loglines included on the competition website, therefore, we collect writer bios at the time of submission. Your bio has no impact on the judging process. Simply share what you feel we should know about you. This may include your writing accolades, training, and experience, as well as any current and past projects.
- SELECTION PROCESS -
Who are your readers?
All of our readers have significant experience and credentials in the industry. They have worked for production companies, studios, managers, agents, and talent.
How can you guarantee my submission will be reviewed and receive a fair chance?
Rest-assured all entries are carefully considered.
- PAYMENTS -
Is there a way I can enter the competition for free? Do you provide fee waivers for writers with financial hardships?
No, we do not offer fee waivers of any kind.
What if I change my mind about entering the competition after making payment, can I receive a refund?
No, we do not offer refunds for any reason. No exceptions. Be sure to carefully read and verify your submission meets all criteria prior to entry.
Where does the money go for the entry fee?
Entry fees are used to pay professional readers, administrative labor fees, promotional expenses, and delivery costs.
- OWNERSHIP OF RIGHTS OF SUBMITTED MATERIAL -
Does the entrant retain rights to the submitted material?
Yes, entrants retain all the rights to their works.
If I win will I have to assign any rights to my material or any percentage of sales or future profits?
Absolutely not. Entrants retain all the rights to their works. Neither First 10 Pages Screenplay Competition nor its readers, judges or sponsors will attach themselves to your material as a condition of you being designated a winner, nor will we demand any percentage of any sales you make as a result of entering or winning the competition.
PRIVACY / CONFIDENTIALITY
Can anyone have access to the material once submitted?
All Entrants have the opportunity to showcase their logline, and Winners also may include the first 10 pages of the script on the competition website for development executives, producers, and others to access. You may opt-out of this benefit on the entry form if you do not wish to have your material or contact info available.
How will you use my contact information?
Rest-assured, we will never sell or rent your contact information to anyone.