Film Festival with Live Screenings
Screenplay / Writing Contest
Two Festivals. One mission. LA LIVE FILM FESTIVAL’s mission is to provide a festival where filmmakers are treated with respect and given opportunities that empower the filmmaker’s career while being showcased at the most prestigious location in Los Angeles, Regal Cinemas at LA LIVE. We strive to do things differently than other festivals and part of how we do this is the way we market the selected films. We believe that helping others is the only way to operate and want filmmakers that also have this mindset, so we cultivate a working community in Hollywood that will continue to extend past the festival.
We are fortunate again this year to have our sister top-tier woman’s empowerment festival, RISING ABOVE FEST, join us. Rising Above was created by multi-award winning Producer/Actress/Writer Summer Moore and features projects that “rise above” obstacles and challenges and empower the audience with a message. In 2017, many press venues were in attendance, including “Huffington Post.” As we strive to help advance women in film, we welcome film’s to submit that are Produced by, Written by, or Directed by women. http://www.imdb.me/summermoore
FILM FEST LA at LA LIVE presents FILM CAN'T KILL YOU BUT WHY TAKE A CHANCE workshop hosted by: GERRY FIALKA on Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 from 11am to 1:15pm in the conference room on the first floor, free admission, and free day passes to attendee's info: 310-306-7330, Visit: http://laughtears.com/
Paramedia ecologist Gerry Fialka's fun interactive workshop explore cinema's hidden psychic effects via Marshall McLuhan's Menippean satirized percepts: "We shape our tools, then they shape us." and “The Balinese have no word for art, they do everything as well as they can.” and "How about technologies as the collective unconscious and art as the collective unconsciousness?"
Read OtherZine article http://www.othercinema.com/otherzine/sticks-and-stones-may-break-your-bones-but-film-will-never-hurt-you/ ;
Gerry Fialka has been praised by the LA Times as "the multi-media Renaissance man." The La Weekly proclaimed him "a cultural revolutionary."
His new book Strange Questions: Experimental Film as Conversation, with a foreword by David James will be published soon. http://laughtears.com/strange-questions.html
His new feature The Brother Side of the Wake (BroSide) is the experimental documentary with Venice, California, as its main character, and probes the cliché: "Is the journey more important than the destination?" Watch the one minute BroSide preview = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBj0UdpFEWo
Awards & Prizes
The most important thing to an indie film is exposure, so the film is distributed worldwide and profits are made. At LA Live Film Fest/Rising Above Fest we award the winners just that. Marketing! Our promotions company, Big House LA, will market the films on over 37 Facebook filmmaker forums along with other social media sites, such as those listed below.
1. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via the participating submission platform FilmFreeway with a password-protected streaming URL.
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Film Fest L.A. is not responsible for the streaming quality of online screeners.
4. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record.
5. Film Fest L.A. screens films as digital files from DCP during the Festival.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. L.A. LIVE Film Fest expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished.
2. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by Film Fest L.A. in connection with the dispute.
3. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
Selected Films and Winners
1. Film Fest L.A. has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: identities of screeners or judges notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or details regarding the submission review or selection process. All information regarding the rating process is through the FilmFreeway rating system provided by FilmFreeway
2. Winners will be announced on November 10th 2018. The judges’ decision is final.
3. Official selections will be announced prior to November 1st 2018