FAMILY FILM PROJECT
ARCHIVE, MEMORY AND ETHNOGRAPHY INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
FAMILY FILM PROJECT is a film festival which takes place every year in Porto, Portugal, with fast increase in visibility and internationalization since its first edition in 2012.
In addition to the mandatory portuguese presence, the festival has been receiving films from around the world: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Spain, Holland, Indonesia, Italy, Israel, Iran, Lebanon, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Taiwan, Venezuela, among many other nationalities.
The sessions of competitive programming traditionally split into three thematic areas: Lives and Places (focusing on the voyeuristic, biographical or documentary recording of habitats and quotidian), Connections (focused on interpersonal and community dynamics) and Memory and Archive (dedicated to creative views from testimony and found footage). There is also a competitive session devoted to fiction and animation.
The festival program always holds a prominent space for directors and guest artists of international renown, such as Jonas Mekas (2012), Péter Forgács (2013), Alina Marazzi (2015), João Canijo (2016), Regina Guimarães (2017), Bill Nichols (2018) and Paula Rabinowitz (2018), Daniel Blaufuks (2018), among others.
With several lines of action, the festival also organizes various parallel cultural events in addition to the competitive sessions: art exhibitions (which may extend beyond the festival date), movies, concerts, installations, performances at various locations of the city, master classes, conferences and launches of books focused on ethnographic and anthropological dimension.
The festival has expanded through the city in locations like the Rivoli Theatre, Passos Manuel, Coliseu, auditorium Almeida Garrett or the theater Carlos Alberto, but also art galleries, city streets and emblematic bars. Thus, the festival also helps to increase, in its most particular way, the cultural dimension of the city and the touristic appeal associated with it.
Great Prize, Best Fiction/Animation and Honorable Mentions
DATES AND DEADLINES
Annual submission period: 07 January to 09 June
Screening Dates: October
THEME AND GENDER
- Documentary, experimental, fiction or animation.
- Family records and "home movies".
- Films using found footage.
- Self portraits or works on identities.
- Social landscapes or communities.
- Films around the intimacy and family ties.
- The family as problematic.
- Private spaces and familiar landscapes.
- There is no duration limit.
- Production date should not exceed three years.
- Each author/producer is limited to register two works.
- The films must be submitted with english subtitles.
- Submission should be done by FilmFreeway.
To complete the submission process the author / producer must send the following documents to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Synopsis (max 250 words.)
- 3 high resolution pictures of the film (jpeg)
- 1 movie poster (if available)
- 1 photograph of the director
- Biography of the director (max 250 words.)
- Trailer (link and vídeo file)
If the film is selected, the author/producer will be notified up to one month before the festival.
The authors/directors or promoters will be contacted to send a version of the film with maximum quality. The film should be accompanied by the following:
- Screening authorization letter.
- MOV or MP4 file
- Compression: H.264, maximum quality; PRORES; DNxHD.
- Resolution: Full HD (1920*1080).
- English subtitles.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected films may integrate extensions organized under the festival, such as VISIONA extension (Cycle Cine y Video Family Album, Programme de la Imagen de Huesca, Spain).
Fragments of selected works may be used to promote the festival via TV, radio or Internet.
No screening fees will be paid by the festival.
The registration of films in FAMILY FILM PROJECT presupposes the knowledge and acceptance of these regulations.
The Family Film Project awards a Grand Jury Prize (usually in non-fiction genres) and a secondary prize for best fiction or animation. Honorable mentions are also assigned.
T +351 220 194 669 / M +351 930 413 710