The Faces and Places of the Bankhead Highway video contest aims to promote the cultural and architectural heritage of the Historic Bankhead Highway in Texas. Developed and administered by the Texas Historical Commission heritage tourism program, we invite filmmakers—from the novice to the seasoned professional—to adventure along the route of the Bankhead Highway across Texas and capture travel experiences that embody Texas’ earliest infatuation with car culture and the romance of the open road.
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Bankhead Highway. Known as the Broadway of America, the Bankhead Highway was the first interstate highway to span the southern United States, leading westward from Washington D.C. to its termination in San Diego. The route covers more than 850 miles of Texas between Texarkana and El Paso, and is characterized by a rich legacy of early to mid-1990s modern architecture, providing filmmakers a diverse palette of historic structures and community lore.
Submissions should showcase the highlights of your Bankhead Highway adventure in social media style videos of five minutes in length or less. Visit the restored courthouses and historic downtowns that make Texas proud. Talk with business owners, waitresses, mechanics, and people of the everyday. Seek out and record the real stories of the Bankhead Highway, show us how to have a road-trip adventure, and contribute to the way Texans remember this historic route.
Production quality may vary widely—from cell phones and hand-helds, to boom mounts and drones—let your creativity guide you! Filmmakers may navigate their road trip along this historic route using the web version of the Texas Historical Commission’s Historic Bankhead Highway mobile tour found online at the following link:
—or— you may download the app directly to your iOS or Android device: http://texastimetravel.com/travel-themes/main-bankhead-highway
Selected submissions will be circulated on the Texas Historical Commission’s social media channels, and winning submissions will be screened at the DRIVEN film festival in Mount Vernon, Texas, September 9–11, 2016.
BEST OF THE BANKHEAD - A first prize winner will be notified by email and must respond within seven calendar days of the date the THC sends notification. Prize package includes:
1. Cash prize of $300.
2. Film will be circulated on THC social media channels.
3. Film will be screened at the DRIVEN! Film Festival in Mount Vernon.
If we do not receive notice of confirmation of receipt, we will select and notify the runner-up. Prize packages will be announced the week of August 15, 2016.
SIX FINALISTS – will be notified by email and will have seven calendar days to respond.
1. Up to six finalists will be entered into the Mount Vernon DRIVEN! Film Festival for a People’s Choice Award. This carries a $50 prize, the winner of which will be announced at the festival. Festival dates are September 9–11.
2. Six finalist videos will be circulated on THC social media channels.
3. Six finalist videos will be screened at the Mount Vernon DRIVEN! Film Festival.
No substitution of prize is offered, no transfer of prize to a third party is permitted.
Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received. In no event will more than one (1) first prize be awarded.
THC makes no representations or warranties with respect to the potential benefits or outcomes to winner with respect to the advice or commentary provided.
1. Participants must be age 18 or over.
2. THC employees and THTP executive directors are ineligible. Former or current THC contractors are ineligible.
3. The contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, local laws, and regulations.
4. Video entries must be of appropriate production quality. Videos do not have to be produced using the highest level production equipment (videos shot on cell phones or other hand held digital devices are welcome), but the videos must possess enough production value and coherence to adequately convey a compelling travel experience along the Texas Bankhead Highway.
5. Video entries must include a location on a verified historic Bankhead Highway segment in Texas. Segments within cities or between cities can easily be found by accessing the Bankhead Highway tour on THC’s Mobile App:
—or— on the maps available on THC’s Historic Highways program webpage: http://www.thc.state.tx.us/preserve/projects-and-programs/historic-texas-highways/bankhead-highway/bankhead-highway-maps
6. Video entries must be five minutes or less in length, may include narration (but is not required to), or may be set to music.
7. Video entries may not contain material which is (or promotes activities which are) sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent, discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation, or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing;
8. Video entries may not include any copyrighted media, including but not limited to music, films, books, television programming, etc., or identifying descriptions of any media property without necessary permissions. Contestants assume responsibility for all necessary permissions from film subjects.
9. May not include third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities, and friends who have not expressly authorized participants to display their image, likeness, or voice in any submitted video.
10. THC retains the right to disqualify video entries not in compliance with these rules.
11. Any information collected from participants will only be used in a manner consistent with these official rules.
12. If the contest is not able to run as planned, without limitation, THC reserves the right to cancel, terminate, or modify the contest at its discretion.
13. All video entries will be prescreened for appropriateness and adherence to the rules. Qualifying videos will be featured on THC social media channels and will be eligible for a prize package.
14. Submissions must be received by Monday, August 8, 2016. Only videos created since April 2015 are eligible. Prescreening will occur on an ongoing basis.
15. A panel of judges selected by THC will select one (1) winner. Up to six finalists will be selected to compete in one (1) people’s choice award to be judged at the Mount Vernon DRIVEN Film festival. The DRIVEN Film Festival will be held in Mount Vernon, Texas, September 9-11, 2016.