The For Our People Fundraising Film Festival is a showcase of films from talented, up-and-coming Black filmmakers that have poured their talent, resources, and passion into stories about and for the Black community. During a time of heightened awareness of the challenges people of the African Diaspora face on a daily basis, the For Our People Film festival aims to amplify Black art and Black non-profits with the widest reach and impact possible across social media platforms.
The festival will take place on September 12th & 13th, 2020. We are partnering with four non-profit organizations to pair with our programming blocks, and will direct viewers to donate directly to each non-profit:
Blackness and Mental Health - Sad Girls Club
Black Youth - Gyrl Wonder
Black LGBTQIA - Black and Pink
Black Womxn - Unique Women's Coalition.
Black Love & Community Celebration
We are proudly sponsored by SIMA Studios and Final Draft.
NOTE: ONLY SUBMIT TO ONE OF THE CATEGORIES FOR CONSIDERATION!
Discussions and events with the non profits across social media platforms will occur throughout the weekend as selected films are released online. We’ll be hosting Q&As and virtual events with the non-profits across social media during the weekend; our goal is to amplify the voices of Black creators whose work focuses on the very issues and causes these non-profits champion, generating donations from our audience in the process.
What is Downbeat Entertainment?
Downbeat Entertainment is a multi-media production company dedicated to showcasing stories of marginalized communities, diversifying representation in front of and behind the camera. Our content has amassed over 100,000 views across online platforms and has been featured in Issa Rae's Short Film Sundays and Sundance Ignite. Visit us at www.downbeatent.com
- Audience favorites (voted upon from September 12th-20th) in each category will receive a free copy of Final Draft 11
- Exposure for your short film across our social media pages and the social media pages of partnering non-profits and sponsors (~300,000).
- The opportunity to promote yourself as a filmmaker on our social media pages in anticipation for the festival.
- Your work will directly support Black non-profits that make an influential change in the communities we cherish!
- FILMS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED TO ONE CATEGORY FOR CONSIDERATION
- 20 minutes maximum runtime inclusive of credits.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or older.
- Films must have been directed, produced and/or written by a person of African descent.
- Competition is open to U.S. and international entries.
- Films must be in the English language or contain English-language subtitles.
- Films must have completed post-production on or after January 1, 2018.
- Films can have played at other festivals/already have online distribution
Your submission must include the following:
Short Film Synopsis
Photo still from the film
Filmmaker (director and/or writer and producer) bio
Filmmaker (director and/or writer and producer) photo
- Selected films will be programmed and shown online live on SIMA RAMA and will be available to view for ONE WEEK after the event before being removed
- Filmmakers will retain ownership of their film
- Distribution is non-exclusive
- Downbeat will not profit from this festival or any of the selected films, and selected filmmakers will not be paid. Viewers will be encouraged to donate DIRECTLY to the partnering Black non-profits of each programming block
- Fulfillment of sponsorship prizes in dependent on the sponsor itself. Downbeat will not be held liable for nonfulfillment of sponsorship prizes