The fifth Montreal Feminist Film Festival will be held in September 2021 in Montreal and will showcase a variety of intersectional fiction and documentary films and videos.
The mission of the Montreal Feminist Film Festival is to move, inspire and represent a wide variety of femininities and feminisms in order to increase their visibility. We strongly believe in intersectionality and strong female characters who challenge gender norms. We are a trans-inclusive, queer festival and accept films directed by everyone regardless of their gender, and strongly encourage marginalized people to send us their work. More than a festival screening films about women or made by women (which is not trans-inclusive), the FFFM wants to showcase activist works that have a strong feminist message.
2021 THEMES INCLUDE (but are not limited to)
- Indigenous/Aboriginal/Native feminism
- Black/Afrofeminism and POC feminism
- Queer/Trans/Non-binary/Two-spirit feminism
- Fighting ableism, fatphobia, gender inequalities
Our ambition is to show a diverse program with films from all over the world with a special focus on films directed by women of colour, indigenous and LGBTQ+ filmmakers. We aim for this festival to be accessible and inclusive for everyone.
Note that given the current pandemic, we are still unsure whether the September 2021 edition will be online (like the 2020 edition) or at our usual venues. We therefore ask that you only submit a film if you agree to have us possibly only screen it online on a secure site behind a paywall, geoblocked and only for the duration of the festival. Thanks for understanding.
Our policy is to redistribute the revenues from the door with filmmakers to ensure that everyone is paid for their work. Payments are issues a few weeks/months after the festival ends.
All films must
-be documentary, animation, experimental short or feature films (no music videos)
-have French or English audio or subtitles
-have a ***strong feminist message***.
Films must have been released after 2018 and ideally not have screened in Montreal yet (we still accept films that have screened previously, but please let us know when and where they screened)
We are NOT accepting music videos.
Our terms and conditions apply:
1. The submitter must be entitled to submit the film and has the legal rights to screen it;
2. Submission does not guarantee acceptance.
3. There is a $7 submission fee for shorts and a $10 fee for features that is non-refundable even if your project is disqualified so please read the rules and terms.
4. We can not send back any material sent to us.
5. By submitting a film the filmmakers, copyright owners and distribution rights owners agree to have the film screened for free if selected for the programme.
6. We reserve the right to use stills and images for our promotion material such as the website or our programme.
7. Formats can either be DVD, BluRay or digital and should have subtitles in English or French unless the original language is English or French. To submit, it will be enough to send a link to Vimeo or similar with a password.
8. The official deadline is June 15, 2021, however, exceptions might be made for late submissions and is decided on a case-to-case basis.
9. Shipping costs / digital transfer costs have to be paid by the filmmaker.