The Drone Focus Film Festival made its original debut at Drone Focus Conference 2017 with submissions from across the globe. Rather than creating a separate event just for the film festival, our team integrates the films into the entire conference experience. Winners are announced on mainstage during the event in front of all of the attendees making the celebration front and center.
The focus of the Drone Focus Film Festival is on the application and end-product of the drone user in a competitive, creative atmosphere. All submitted films will be judged and the winners will receive cash and/or in-kind prizes. The Drone Focus Film Festival is looking foster the growth of the drones and UAS industry by bringing together multiple mediums and industries. Through the film festival, our hope is to empower the future of UAS technology and bring awareness to the surrounding communities.
Category winners will receive
Complimentary admission to Drone Focus Conference on May 29, 2019
TO BE ANNOUNCED
NOTE: Any "physical" prizes will NOT be shipped.
- All films must be 5 minutes OR LESS in length (films that do not follow this rule will be disqualified immediately).
- 50% or more must be shot using a drone or UAV.
- One film submission per category, per filmmaker.
- You may enter multiple films in different categories.
- Credits in each video: Cast/Crew, UAV/drone pilot, drone technology (equipment used), music score, and locations filmed.
- For publication purposes, if your entry is selected, entrants must supply TWO digital images (anything from production stills to a movie poster) in .jpeg or PDF format. (Specs: 300 dpi, under 2K)
- For viewing purposes, winner's must supply a downloadable video file to be used at Drone Focus Conference.
- Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway. DVDs will not be accepted.
- Drone Focus Film Festival reserves the right to utilize submitted footage for promotional purposes for the 2019 and future Drone Focus Film Festivals. No footage will be used to generate income or sold.
- Narrative: Tell us a brilliant story with a drone - we want to lose ourselves in a cinematic storyline captured using Drone Technology.
- Landscape: Allow the audience to see the wonder of a new place or rediscover wonder in an old place - we want to see how drones can give awe-inspiring new perspectives on landscapes.
- Showreel: Put all of your best shots together - we want something that inspires us to go kick ass and make things happen! The more hype the better.
- North Dakota Legendary: This is our personal favorite - show us why North Dakota is the best place in the world. We want all of the people from around the world visiting for the conference to move to North Dakota because of this film.
- Student: Students with a valid Student ID can submit their films here. This is a completely open category within the aforementioned guidelines.
- Early Bird Deadline (April 12, 2019) - $15 per entry
- Regular Deadline (May 3, 2019) - $20 per entry
- Student Fees - Submissions under the student category are FREE. (Only current students with a valid .edu email address are permitted)
AWARDS & PRIZES
If selected to screen at the film festival, filmmakers will be required to submit their films for use at the festival via Dropbox NO LATER THAN May 17, 2019.
Category winners will receive; TO BE ANNOUNCED
Films will be judged based on the following criteria on a 1-10 scale;
- Production value
- Overall Quality
- Adherence to the rules
We will filter down the submissions to a “top three;” those top three will go into the final round and a winner will be selected.
There will be 3 judges per category.
Visit KnowBeforeYouFly.org to learn the rules put in place by the FAA. We cannot consider any film that breaks the rules put in place by the FAA. A few quick tips:
- Fly below 400 ft
- Don’t fly within 5 miles of airport radius without consenting with air traffic authorities
- Stay away from emergency response efforts (ex: fires, storms, etc.)
- Fly within visual line of sight
- Avoid flying over people or near any aircraft
- Abide by flight restrictions put in place by the FAA
- DO NOT fly under the influence