Filmmakers and screenwriters make film festivals possible. Period. This is why our loyalty is to you and the invaluable artistic talents you provide to film culture. The Destiny City Film Festival is a homegrown, true-Tacoma community event, inspired by our city’s nickname – The City of Destiny – and is built to showcase the best independent films from the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Join us for the eighth annual Destiny City Film Festival, February 19 - 21, 2021 for top-quality programming of films, filmmaker discussions and events. Our mission is to enhance the vitality of independent filmmaking by showcasing vibrant films to curate an engaged and supportive community audience.
This three-day festival is organized by people who believe at the heart of every great movie is a great story, one that is destined to invigorate an audience through the art form of film. DCFF credits the ingenuity of independent filmmakers for continuing the tradition of compelling storytelling through motion pictures in the digital age, whether told in the documentary, animated, experimental, or narrative form. It is our passion to provide screens for the finest of these independent films and strengthen the local film community by building an engaged audience.
“[We] had a wonderful time screening our film to a packed house as well as visiting with fellow filmmakers and enjoying the beautiful Pacific Northwest! The festival Staff was incredibly helpful and kind- this festival is not to be missed!” — D.J. Haye (Writer, Director, Editor, Producer)
The strongest films based on screener’s feedback will be placed in competition for the festival’s Storyteller Awards at the sole discretion of the Destiny City Film Festival. Awards will be given for: Excellence in Narrative Feature Storytelling, Excellence in Documentary Storytelling, Excellence in Narrative Short Storytelling, Evergreen Storytellers (films from the Pacific Northwest) and the 1st Place Storyteller’s Award. All winners will be announced at the Opening Night Celebration on Friday, February 21, 2021. Audience Choice voting will take place throughout the festival weekend for all screenings, and the winner will be determined following the final screening.
Entries to the Short Screenplay Competition will be reviewed by our panel of readers and the Festival Executive Director. The 1st place winner, as agreed upon by the readers, will receive a cash prize and 2 VIP passes to the 2021 DCFF.
Filmmakers and screenwriters who reside in Pierce County are invited to submit their works for free. Please contact us to learn how!
To be considered for 2021, the Destiny City Film Festival requires:
1. A complete entry via FilmFreeway.com.
2. Entries for the 2021 festival must have been completed no earlier than January 2020.
3. Secure online screener of your film, and any necessary password to view the film. The link and password must remain active and working through February 2021. If any changes are made to the access of your film’s link, please contact DCFF at email@example.com with the updated information immediately, or your film may be disqualified from consideration.
4. The required and appropriate entry fee.
5. English language or English subtitles.
6. Make a note in your submission if you have any connections to the Pacific Northwest. Filmmakers who reside in Washington state will receive two (2) festival ticket vouchers just for submitting.
7. Please do not submit works in progress. Instructional films, industrials, propaganda or promotional videos are not appropriate for submission. DCFF will not accept new drafts, titles, or versions of films already submitted into consideration.
8. It is the responsibility of the filmmaker or submission contact to ensure that all requirements are met. The festival retains the right to disqualify an entry with no refunded fee if submission guidelines are not met.
9. Submission to DCFF equals acceptance of all terms and conditions of the entry process.
10. Entry fees will not be refunded.
Screenplays can be uploaded to FilmFreeway.com, emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: Destiny City Film Festival, PO Box 7951, Tacoma, WA 98417
1. Scripts must be no more than thirty (30) pages in length. Absolutely no exceptions.
2. Screenplays must have a title page which includes only the title (scripts that include the writer’s name or additional text on the title page will be disqualified).
3. Writers of all ages, demographics and corners of the world are invited to enter. There is no limit to the number of screenplays you may submit.
4. Writers who reside in Washington State are eligible for a discounted submission fee. Contact us to learn more!
5. DCFF will not allow substitutions of corrected pages, new drafts, or edited titles of a submitted screenplay.
6. Submitted scripts must be original screenplays and the sole property of the applicant.
7. Entries must be in English, and in PDF format.
8. Entry fees will not be refunded.
9. Screenplays will not be returned.
10. While every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted, DCFF cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage en route or otherwise.
11. Your entry must be postmarked no later than the deadline under which you’ve registered. If the submission is not postmarked appropriately, or if a payment is received after a postmark deadline, we will not read your script until the difference is paid to the Destiny City Film Festival. It is the responsibility of the writer or submission contact to ensure that all requirements are met. The festival retains the right to disqualify an entry, with no refunded fee, if submission guidelines are not met.
By entering the Destiny City Film Festival, entrants release and hold the promoter and host and other contest entities harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and action of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the festival. The Festival will handle the films with care but cannot be held liable for any damage or loss during the shipping, preview or screening. The Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark or royalty infringements related to the work. Applicants are responsible for their own insurance and are not covered by the festival's insurance. The Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless The Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.