Premiere is the annual student film festival hosted by DePaul University’s School of Cinematic Arts. Now in its 15th year, the festival showcases the best of DePaul University student work in cinema and animation with awards presented in over 20 categories covering all facets of filmmaking from screenwriting to post-production. Jury members include industry insiders, festival programmers, and filmmakers from around the country. Held in the historic Music Box Theatre for the last eight years, the festival provides an opportunity for student work to be showcased in one of the oldest theaters in the nation.
Premiere is only open to all CURRENT DEPAUL STUDENTS and ALUMNI who graduated in 2019.
Award list is subject to change.
First Look Screenwriting Contest Feature Length Screenplay
First Look Screenwriting Contest Television Pilot
MFA Thesis TV Pilot
MFA Thesis Feature Screenplay
Short Film Writing
Classic Cinemas Award
Helmut P. Epp Vanguard Award
Voice and Vision Award Undergraduate
Voice and Vision Award Graduate
Jury Award Undergraduate
Jury Award Graduate
Premiere is only open to all current DePaul students and alumni who graduated in 2019.
To submit a film for consideration:
- Complete a separate entry package for each film
- Submit your movie directly to FilmFreeway -
- OR provide a link and password for Vimeo or YouTube
- One still frame from the movie (JPEG)
- One production photo (JPEG)
IF SELECTED or NOMINATED for an award, you must submit a QuickTime screener (instructions below*)
Please Note: Rights must be attained and documented for copyrighted music. If rights cannot be proven, the movie will not be considered.
Quicktime File Specifications:
- Frame rate: 23.976, 24 or 29.97 only
- Frame size HD: 1280x720, 1920x1080 or above
- Frame size SD: 720x480
- Compression: Apple Pro Res 422 (not HQ)
- All projects must have a title in the beginning and credits at the end
- All projects must recognize/credit DePaul University.
- Incomplete work will not be considered.
- Mono files for each channel of audio mix
- Surround mapping: L-R-C-Lfe-Ls-Rs
- No AC3, AAC or other lossy codecs accepted
- Duration in frames should match the video file exactly
- If not sure, bring your Premiere Pro or ProTools project to the submission room
*You must provide your Festival screener or award nominated movie in the Quicktime & Audio Format specified above within 24 hours of being selected.
Submissions will be in room 204 of the Daley building. You are urged to bring both your Quicktime and your Project File to the room (provided you worked in Adobe Premiere Pro).
Your Premiere Pro project or ProTools session can be used to ensure correct Audio submission. The video of your Quicktime submission must be according to the specification described above – or your film will not be accepted.
***IF ALL RULES FOR SUBMISSION ARE NOT FOLLOWED AS LISTED ABOVE YOUR FILM WILL NOT BE QUALIFIED FOR THE FESTIVAL***