The festival is an annual celebration of independent cinema, where filmmakers and audiences from largely rural areas in the South Dakota and Minnesota plains gather for two days to enjoy films from a variety of genres and formats, from documentary and experimental, to dramatic and comedic narratives in both feature and short film length. What’s so special about Dancing Spider is the relaxed tone of the festival – none of the films are in competition with one another and they are largely created by filmmakers and students from the midwest region. The focus is to bring filmmakers and storytellers together with an audience to which they otherwise might not have access. This is so unique to our area and that's why we feel it's so important to introduce these stories and creative outlets to the rural communities. We all have stories to share and we all crave an audience for them. Not to mention it takes place at a Drive-In movie theater which captures the spirit of wonder but also provides a comforting and increasingly rare experience.
We are not a competition festival but we do award attending filmmakers with homemade cookies and lots of local flavah.
The Festival will begin at Dusk and end close to Dawn on both days. Each day three films from the short and three films from the feature categories will be shown.
Terms and Conditions
1. All filmmakers submitting a film to the Dancing Spider Film Festival (hereafter known as ‘We’, ‘Us” and ‘Our”), accept and agree to comply with the following Terms and Conditions
2. We accept films in any language… However, films not made in English must have English subtitles.
3. The person submitting a film to Dancing Spider is ‘You’ or ‘Your’ and You agree that Your film may be screened at Dancing Spider Film Festival if it is selected.
4. We only accept films that have been produced during and after 2016
5. All submission fees are non refundable.
6. Please see Price Breakdown.
7. How to Submit
– Complete Your online registration form.. click here
– Pay relevant Submission fee via PayPal
– You will receive confirmation of Your successful registration
– Films must be submitted via online screener
Filmmakers submitting must also supply:
– Production credits and contact details
– 2 Photos for promotional purposes, no smaller than 1024 x 576 pixels
– A short trailer of the film (Optional)
8. If Your entry is selected as part of the Official Selection for Dancing Spider, we will make a DCP of your project.
9. We reserve the right to alter this schedule and venue at any time for any reason. Dancing Spider does not accept any liability for any costs claimed to arise as a result of a change in the scheduling.
10. By submitting a film, You grant us the right to screen Your film, copy and/or reproduce, modify, adapt and any part thereof, up to one (1) minute of the film submission. We may also use Your submission and any other promotional material/photo’s and/or information submitted by You to communicate it to the public in all media, including via our website and publicity materials, or to advertise and promote Dancing Spider events, its products and services, or all, and to showcase Your film.
11. You own the copyright to Your film as its author and represent and warrant that You have (and will continue to have during the duration of Dancing Spider and thereafter) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions we need to use Your film and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
12. We accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of submitting a film to Dancing Spider and its curation and all related events.
13. You indemnify and hold harmless Dancing Spider from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
14. IF YOUR FILM WAS NOT SHOT IN 24FPS, (and you are accepted to screen at the Festival), you must specify your frame rate to the Program Director. ALL films screened at the festival will be converted to DCP. Our standard conversion is set to 24fps. If your film was not shot and exported as a 24fps film and we convert it that way, your audio will not play correctly. Please call to confirm your custom frame rate if it is not 24fps.
You MUST have authority to submit your film to us. The film must be submitted by Director/Producer.
By entering you give the Dancing Spider Film Festival authority to use your provided press materials to promote the festival.
Vimeo links are accepted and can be emailed to email@example.com
If you prefer to send a thumb drive/Disc please mail them to
1607 S Kniss Ave
Under the C/O Dancing Spider Film Festival.