Damnationland. For ten goddamn years, we've been showcasing the best up and coming filmmakers from the state of Maine. Our alums have screened films at SXSW, Slamdance, Nashville, and other fancy names of film things.
For years, we've championed the best Maine has to offer. And now, we want to open up our mangled arms to additional filmmakers from around the world.
Usually, we do screenings. The premiere event for Damnationland generally draws over 900 excited film fans to the beautiful State Theater in Portland every year in early October. Now, we want to expose this rabid fan base to dark genre films from around the world, using the dark art of "streaming."
Of course, we won't be doing screenings at the State this year. We will, however, be hosting a digital screening option for our hungry fans. In addition, we will be producing a digital program for distribution through TVoD platforms (iTunes, Amazon, Google, etc) from the best short films we get.
We know the world is changing, and we can't all be in a theatre in October, sharing the visceral thrill of watching films that challenge, scare, and entertain us. But we are still going to do what we can this year to provide a showcase for the edgiest, artistic, and dark genre films from around the world.
So send us your dark genre shorts! We are looking for things that are dark, scary, disturbing, seedy, or just downright weird. Take a look at the archive on our website to see what sort of films we feature.
Visit Damnationland: The Way Film Should Be!
Accepted filmmakers will receive:
• 2 copies of the Damnationland 2020 DVD
• A Damnationland 2020 T-shirt
• 2 Festival Passes, good for all virtual screenings.
In addition, fan favorites will be offered distribution through a digital Damantionland compilation to be released on Halloween 2020.
1) Your film is a quality film made with skill, voice, and vision.
2) Your film is dark, darkly funny, sad, scary, moody, eerie, tragic, disturbing, fantastic, or weird.
3) You are a filmmaker from an underrepresented demographic, or from Maine.
That is it! if you meet these requirements, send us your film!
Preference will be given to International, US, and Regional premieres. But only good ones.
• Entrant must be 21 years of age to enter a film in the festival
• Must be entered in one of the two (2) length categories
• All accepted films will be considered for Special Awards, to be awarded at judges' discretion
• All finished film/video must be in NTSC Acceptable Submission Formats.
• Playable DVDs should be mailed to: Damnationland c/o Allen Baldwin - The Story Board, 175 Lancaster Street Suite 209, Portand, ME 04101
Term and Conditions: Important, please read closely.
1. By entering a submission to Damnationland, you agree to all of the terms and conditions stated below and herein.
2. You are establishing an enforceable agreement with Damnationland, LLC, and therefore are responsible for understanding all these terms and abiding by them. If you do not understand a term, please contact us.
3. You are giving Damnationland, LLC, its licensees, successors, assigns, and any other parties succeeding or authorized by it (collectively, “Damnationland”) certain rights with regard to intellectual property that makes up your submission.
4. With regard to your submission, you agree to give Damnationland a perpetual, worldwide, nonexclusive license to use, publicly perform, publicly display, copy, distribute, and create derivative works of your submission in connection with the “Damnationland” name.
5. We agree that Damnationland will give all credits that we practicably can, given case-by-case circumstances.
6. You warrant that all copyrighted material--music, pictures, web content, videos, art, graphic design, etc. (this is not an exhaustive list, rather it is exemplary)—is either owned by you, or that you have express written permission to use any copyrighted material found in your submission. No exceptions.
7. You agree, that in the event that the previous bullet point turns out to be not true (you have infringed someone else’s copyrights), to indemnify and hold harmless Damnationland for any claims or threat of claim against the same, and that you will pay for (first), or reimburse (last resort), all costs associated with defending any such claims against Damnationland for violation of another’s copyright as a result of your submission.
8. You warrant that you have full consent and permission from all people who appear in any identifiable manner in your submission to use their persona in your submission, their knowing and understanding that their image or likeness may be used commercially.
9. You agree to hereby release, indemnify, and hold harmless Damnationland from any and all claims, including, without limitation, claims for damages for libel, infringement of rights of publicity, invasion of privacy, portrayal in a false light, or any other claim from any person based on use of your submission.
10. Any and all disputes arising from your submission shall be first attempted to be resolved by a mediator in Maine, in person or through electronic and phone communication.
11. The parties agree Maine law applies to this agreement, and that all federal and state courts of Maine shall have subject matter jurisdiction of this agreement.
12. This is the entire agreement with respect to the parties, and all other communications about this matter are not a part of this agreement.