Recognizing that short film is a unique and valuable art form, the Dam Short Film Festival aims to seek out original, unusual, and entertaining short films from around the world and make them available to the general public via the annual Dam Short Film Festival.
The 15th Annual Dam Short Film Festival will be held February 7-10, 2019, in beautiful and historic Boulder City, Nevada, and will feature 120+ short films of varied style, subject, and origin.
Submission categories include Drama, Comedy, Documentary, Animation, Sci-Fi/Horror, Music Video, Student, Virtual Reality, and Nevada Filmmaker. Films from all years are invited to submit and there is no premiere requirement.
The Festival will feature an Awards Screening, Post-Awards Party, 15th Dam Mixer, Meet-n-Greet, and other parties and events.
Boulder City, home of the Hoover Dam, is 30 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip and only four hours from Los Angeles. Screenings will be held at the beautiful and historic 400-seat Boulder Theatre, located in charming downtown Boulder City.
Selected filmmakers will receive access to all screenings, parties and events, the film market, and will receive fine swag and hotel discounts. Eight one-of-a-kind Audience Choice awards created by a local artist will be presented.
There will be eight Award Categories with an Audience Choice Award presented in each. The Award Categories are: Best Drama, Best Comedy, Best Documentary, Best Animation, Best Sci-Fi / Horror, Best Music Video, Best Nevada Filmmaker, and Best Student. Audience award-winners will be chosen by audience votes. In addition, there is one Best of the Fest Award, also chosen by the audience. Award winners receive a one-of-a-kind award statuette made by a local artist.
The 15th Annual Dam Short Film Festival will also present an award for Best Screenplay, and the Leslie Paige Award for Excellence in Short Filmmaking. In addition to a special award statue, The Leslie includes a $1000 cash award.
1. The Dam Short Film Festival welcomes short films with any content and in any style, whether it be live-action, documentary, or animation. Entries must have a total runtime of 40 minutes or less. The year of production does not matter and there is no premiere requirement.
2. There will be eight Award Categories with an Audience Choice Award presented in each. The Award Categories are: Best Drama, Best Comedy, Best Documentary, Best Animation, Best Sci-Fi / Horror, Best Music Video, Best Nevada Filmmaker, and Best Student. Audience award-winners will be chosen by audience votes. In addition, there is one Best of the Fest Award, chosen by the audience. The Best Screenplay Award and the Leslie Paige Award for Excellence in Short Filmmaking will be determined by the festival organizers. In the event of any voting discrepancy, the decision of the festival organizers shall be final.
3. The Student category is open to students only. The submitted film must have been created while the film's director or directors were enrolled at a school, college, or university. Proof of enrollment, such a copy of a student I.D., must be sent to the festival by email. If the director is not enrolled at the time of submission, or has graduated, proof of past enrollment must be submitted.
4. The Nevada Filmmaker category is open to any short that was created while the director or directors were residents of Nevada, or any short in which production primarily took place in Nevada. Proof of residency, such a copy of a driver's license, must be submitted.
5. An online screener may be submitted for festival consideration. Entrants may also provide an online link to a submission copy of the film. Selected films, however, must provide one of the following formats for exhibition: DCP (Digital Cinema Package), .mov (Quicktime), .wmv (Windows Media), .avi (Audio-Visual Interleaved), .mpg (MPEG or MPEG2). Official Selections must submit an exhibition copy by January 31, 2019. Electronic/online delivery of exhibition copies is encouraged. Physical copies of exhibition copy drives will be returned. Failure to submit an exhibition copy by January 31, 2019 (if your film is selected) will disqualify your film from all award considerations. Once a film is selected, it cannot be withdrawn from the festival.
6. Non-English language films must be subtitled with subtitles in English or contain minimal dialog.
7. Selected films will be notified by email on or around January 1, 2019.
8. Selected films will be responsible for the insured shipping of the exhibition copies to the festival. We encourage you to use Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation when sending via U.S. Mail. The festival encourages electronic/online delivery of exhibition copies; physical exhibition drives that are mailed to the festival will be returned.
9. A press kit is not required for submission. Upon selection, filmmakers are highly encouraged to provide a electronic press kit.
10. The Dam Short Film Festival does not share Selection Committee comments or ratings with the public or submitting filmmakers.
11. The festival organizers may program selected films in any category or programming block deemed appropriate. Organizers also reserve the right to program selected films more than once during the festival.
12. All submission fees must be in U.S. funds. Films submitted without the correct payment will be disqualified.