DOC NYC, America's largest documentary festival, celebrates its 10th anniversary in November 2019. Only in New York, which was introduced in 2016, is a program of DOC NYC PRO, the festival's industry programming component, and aims to connect filmmakers with works-in-progress (features or series) with industry representatives.
Should you have any questions about Only in New York, please first review this entire page for answers to common issues. If you still need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org rather than calling in order to receive assistance more quickly.
NOTE: Only in New York is NOT for films that are nearly finished but finalizing post-production. Any soon-to-be-completed films intended to make their public screening debut at DOC NYC should be submitted under the main DOC NYC submission page (https://filmfreeway.com/DOCNYC), not here. Works selected to participate in Only in New York do NOT screen publicly.
Filmmakers selected for Only in New York participate in four days of intimate roundtable meetings with industry figures from the fields of distribution, financing, festival programming, and more. Last year, participating companies included Netflix, HBO, A&E IndieFilms, Amazon Studios, Sundance Institute, Showtime, and over 40 others.
Additionally, projects selected for Only in New York will be automatically considered for potential participation in Pitch Perfect, a pitching event that provides a nurturing environment for filmmakers to present works-in-progress to influential industry figures.
Only in New York is open to ALL documentary filmmakers, regardless of their geographic location or that of their subjects or topics; the program is NOT limited to New York-based filmmakers or themes. The program's name emphasizes that these kinds of valuable connections can only happen in New York, the documentary capital of the US.
Only in New York projects selected to participate in Pitch Perfect are eligible for the Pitch Perfect Award. Prize details will be announced on docnyc.net closer to the festival.
- Submissions are open to nonfiction works-in-progress features or series proposals in any genre or style.
- Submitted works-in-progress must be on track to be completed within 1-2 years of DOC NYC 2019, with at least 50% of their budget already in place.
- Note that this category is intended solely for works-in-progress with a projected completion date in 2020 or 2021. It is NOT intended for projects that are planning to be ready for exhibition at DOC NYC 2019, which should instead be submitted under the Features or Shorts categories under the main DOC NYC listing (https://filmfreeway.com/DOCNYC).
- Projects will be selected based on their artistic merit, ability to engage an audience, and potential for success in the marketplace.
- Filmmakers must submit a 2-5 minute video work sample, one-page project description, and simple top sheet budget.
- When completing your application, you should list the final intended running time of your project, NOT the running time of your 2-5 min sample. FilmFreeway will not allow you to list a time shorter than 41 minutes, and we need to know what the project's final running time will be.
- Video work samples must be submitted as Vimeo links or FilmFreeway online screeners only; DOC NYC does not accept DVDs or Blu-rays for this purpose.
- If you change your Vimeo link, or the password connected to it, make sure to email the updated information to email@example.com. Please note: We will not send receipt confirmation notices.
- If your project is in a language other than English, your submission video work sample must be subtitled or dubbed in English, and the remaining submission materials - description and budget - must be in English.
- Your project description and budget may be uploaded to FilmFreeway as part of your submission (in the Files & Attachments section), or emailed as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To access Files & Attachments: Go to "My Projects" > "View." The Files & Attachments tool is located in the lower right side of your Project Page.
- Your submitted budget should be a basic top sheet of your anticipated development, preproduction, production, and post costs, as well as an overview of secured and anticipated funding, not a detailed line-item budget.
- Applicants may submit more than one project to Only in New York, but each project must be accompanied by its own Entry Form and Entry Fee.
- While the Entry Fee is non-refundable, Only in New York applicants who are not selected will be provided with a discount on select DOC NYC Passes, to be determined.
- All entrants will be notified of their status on or around October 1, 2019 via e-mail.
- Please keep us informed of any changes regarding your contact information by emailing email@example.com.
- Due to the number of submissions received, DOC NYC unfortunately cannot provide feedback on any entries.
- For questions regarding submissions, see DOC NYC FAQs at docnyc.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org with OINY ENTRIES in the subject line.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
By submitting this documentary film (the “Film”), I understand that I am agreeing to the following:
• I have the legal right to represent and to submit this Film to the DOC NYC film festival (the "Festival”) and IFC Theatres LLC (“IFC”) and to the best of my knowledge, all statements on this document are true;
• There is no action, suit, claim or proceeding pending, affecting or, to the best of my knowledge, threatened against this Film or its producers, cast, or crew in connection with this Film or otherwise;
• Music and any other third party material clearances and all copyright clearances are my sole responsibility and, if selected for the Festival, I agree that the Film will be fully cleared prior to the Film's participation at the Festival and no part of the Film will violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party. None of the Festival or IFC will be held responsible for any legal disputes regarding the exhibition of the Film. Noncompliance may affect, delay, and/or disqualify my entry.
• If the Film is selected for participation at the Festival, I grant each of the Festival and IFC the right for the Film to participate at the Festival;
• I understand and agree that the Film, if selected for the Festival, may be used for promotional purposes for the Festival, IFC and/or its affiliates, partners and sponsors; and I grant each of the Festival and IFC, and its affiliates, partners and sponsors, the right to use footage (not to exceed 5 minutes), stills and/or titles and information from the Film for such promotional purposes;
• Should the Film win any award, I am authorized and/or empowered by all parties legally representing and/or owning the Film to receive any and all cash prizes and/or awards and to distribute them appropriately;
• I fully indemnify and hold the Festival, IFC, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, sponsors, licensees and assigns harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses in connection with the Film, including:
o reasonable attorneys’ fees and other expenses of defense arising from or in connection with any breach of any of the foregoing agreements, representations or warranties or from or in connection with any litigation or any claim or proceeding commenced by a third party alleging or arising from libel, slander, defamation, invasion of privacy, infringement, unauthorized use or any other right of such third party or wrongful conduct;
o damage to or loss of the film print or videotapes en route to or from the Festival or during the course of the Festival's possession of the entry;
o and any claims which may arise in connection with the Film.
If the Film is selected to participate in the Festival, you will need to provide the following:
o Projection print or video by required deadline. Filmmaker is responsible for the delivery costs of the print shipment to the Festival, including any applicable customs fees. The Festival will return the print to the supplier or to the next domestic destination as indicated by the supplier at the Festival's conclusion. The Festival does not provide extra insurance for originals or masters.
o Press kits, trailers, promotional materials and additional screeners for preview (if requested);
o Screener links or DVD copies for the Festival press liaison (if applicable and requested)
Please do not send these materials until your Film is selected for the program. The Festival reserves the right to complete any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible if incorrect information is entered.
Note: The Festival has the right to change any information contained in this document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.