The exact submission deadline is 11:59pm PST/2:59pm EST on August 17, 2020.
DOC NYC, New York's documentary festival, takes place annually in November. Its Only In New York (OINY) program is co-presented by Showtime Documentary Films and connects filmmakers who have works-in-progress (features or series) to industry representatives. Due to COVID-19 and anticipated public health directives, OINY will take place virtually in 2020.
Should you have any questions about OINY, please first review this entire page for answers to common issues. If you still need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive speedy assistance, rather than calling.
NOTE: OINY is NOT for films that are nearly finished and finalizing post-production. Any soon-to-be-completed films intending to make their public screening debut at DOC NYC should be submitted under the main DOC NYC submission page (https://filmfreeway.com/DOCNYC), not under OINY. Works selected to participate in OINY do NOT screen publicly.
In 2020, we anticipate that filmmakers selected for OINY will participate in one-on-one virtual meetings with industry figures from the fields of distribution, financing, festival programming, and more. Past industry representatives have included Netflix, HBO, A&E IndieFilms, Amazon Studios, Sundance Institute, Showtime, and more than 40 others.
Additionally, projects selected for OINY will be automatically considered for potential participation in Pitch Perfect, a pitching event that provides a nurturing environment for filmmakers to present works-in-progress to influential industry figures.
OINY is open to ALL documentary filmmakers, regardless of their geographic location or that of their subjects or topics; it is not limited to New York-based filmmakers or themes.
- Submissions are open to nonfiction works-in-progress features or series proposals in any genre or style.
- Submitted works-in-progress must be on track to be completed within 1-2 years of DOC NYC 2020, with approximately 50% of their budget already in place.
- Note that this category is intended solely for works-in-progress with a projected completion date in 2021 or 2022. It is NOT intended for projects that are planning to be ready for exhibition at DOC NYC 2020, which should instead be submitted under the Features or Shorts categories at https://filmfreeway.com/DOCNYC.
- Projects will be selected based on their artistic merit, ability to engage an audience, and potential for success in the marketplace.
- Filmmakers must submit a 2-5 minute video work sample; a one-page project description; and a simple top sheet budget.
-We do not have a preference as to whether the video work sample is a trailer or scene selects. We recommend sending whatever you think best represents your project and provides a sense of your technical and storytelling proficiency. If you do not yet have footage from your project, you may send a work sample from a previous project, but please make sure you clearly indicate this in your submission, either in your cover letter or in the project description.
- The one-page project description should include: log line, synopsis, narrative description of where you are in the project timeline and when you expect to complete it (estimated benchmarks are fine), and a brief statement regarding your artistic vision, for example, your intentions regarding your storytelling style, form, cinematography, and/or approach to character.
- The confirmation of your submission is provided by FilmFreeway at the time of entry; DOC NYC does not send any additional receipt for submissions or materials received.
- When completing your application, list the final intended running time of your finished film, not the running time of your sample. FilmFreeway will not allow you to list a time shorter than 41 minutes.
- Video work samples must be submitted as Vimeo links or FilmFreeway online screeners only; DOC NYC does not accept DVDs or Blu-rays.
- If you change your Vimeo link, or the password connected to it, make sure to email the updated information to email@example.com.
- If your project is in a language other than English, your submission video work sample must be subtitled or dubbed in English, and the remaining submission materials—description and budget—must be in English.
- Your submitted budget should be a basic top sheet of your anticipated development, preproduction, production, and postproduction costs, as well as an overview of secured and anticipated funding, not a detailed line-item budget.
- Your project description and budget may be uploaded to FilmFreeway as part of your submission (in the Files & Attachments section), or emailed as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. To access Files & Attachments: Go to "My Projects" > "View." The Files & Attachments tool is located in the lower right side of your Project Page.
- Applicants may submit more than one project to OINY, but each project must be accompanied by its own Entry Form and Entry Fee.
-The Entry Fee is non-refundable.
- While the Entry Fee is non-refundable, OINY applicants who are not selected will be provided with a discount on select DOC NYC Passes, to be determined.
- All entrants will be notified of their status on or around October 2, 2020 via e-mail.
- Please keep us informed of any changes regarding your contact information by emailing email@example.com.
- Due to the number of submissions received, DOC NYC unfortunately cannot provide feedback on any entries.
- For questions regarding submissions, see DOC NYC FAQs at docnyc.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org with OINY ENTRIES in the subject line.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
By submitting this documentary film (the “Film”), I understand that I am agreeing to the following:
• I have the legal right to represent and to submit this Film to the DOC NYC film festival (the "Festival”) and IFC Theatres LLC (“IFC”) and all statements on this document are true;
• There is no action, suit, claim or proceeding pending, affecting or, to the best of my knowledge, threatened against this Film or its producers, cast, or crew in connection with this Film or otherwise;
• Music and any other third party material clearances and all copyright clearances are my sole responsibility and, if selected for the Festival, I agree that the Film will be fully cleared prior to the Film's participation at the Festival and no part of the Film will violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party. None of the Festival or IFC will be held responsible for any legal disputes regarding the exhibition of the Film. Noncompliance may affect, delay, and/or disqualify my entry.
• If the Film is selected for participation at the Festival, I grant each of the Festival and IFC the right for the Film to participate at the Festival;
• I understand and agree that the Film, if selected for the Festival, may be used for promotional purposes for the Festival, IFC and/or its affiliates, partners and sponsors; and I grant each of the Festival and IFC, and its affiliates, partners and sponsors, the right to use footage (not to exceed 5 minutes), stills and/or titles and information from the Film for such promotional purposes;
• Should the Film win any award, I am authorized and/or empowered by all parties legally representing and/or owning the Film to receive any and all cash prizes and/or awards and to distribute them appropriately;
• I fully indemnify and hold the Festival, IFC, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, sponsors, licensees and assigns harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses in connection with the Film, including:
o reasonable attorneys’ fees and other expenses of defense arising from or in connection with any breach of any of the foregoing agreements, representations or warranties or from or in connection with any litigation or any claim or proceeding commenced by a third party alleging or arising from libel, slander, defamation, invasion of privacy, infringement, unauthorized use or any other right of such third party or wrongful conduct;
o and any claims which may arise in connection with the Film.
Note: The Festival has the right to change any information contained in this document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.