Death by condom
An Indian patriarch finds a box of imported condoms. Events that unfold lead to disastrous yet hilarious results.
UTKARSH THUKRALDirectorAam Kahani
UTKARSH THUKRALWriterAam kahani
VIMAL UNIYALKey Cast"Kishan"
SANDHYA BHATIAKey Cast"Radha"
CHANDAN MEHTAKey Cast"Elder Son"
RAMNEEK KAURKey Cast"Daughter in law"
Runtime:14 minutes 57 seconds
Completion Date:February 10, 2020
Production Budget:14,500 USD
Country of Origin:India
Country of Filming:India
lift off global sessionsLondon
June 9, 2020
Lift off global community premiere
London worldwide comedy short film festivalLondon
Miami short film festivalMiami
Out of competition screening to be held
26th International Film Festival Golden BeggarKosice
November 5, 2020
Finalist fiction under 25 minute
13th Jaipur International Film Festivaljaipur
COMPETITION CATEGORY for JIFF-2021
Gold award 2020 @ Virgin spring cinefestkolkata
January 14, 2021
WINNER at the 37th season of Virgin Spring Cinefest.
Short film of the month @Shorted IndiaOTT
March 26, 2021
Short film of the month
Ican/Hanna International Film Festivalpennsylvania
April 9, 2021
Frames film festivalMumbai
April 14, 2021
Assurdo film festivalMilan
April 9, 2021
First time filmmaker's sessionPinewood Studios
March 22, 2021
London Film School
Greater London, England (2013)
Master of Arts: Film
Noida, UP (2010)
New Delhi, Delhi (2007)
High school: General Education Development
Writer - Director – Editor
• "Yuho Smartphones" Commercial (2019)
• "Gail Hawa Badlo" Commercial (2018)
• "Dengue Free Delhi" Commericals (2017)
• "Clean India" Commercial (2016)
• "Delhi odd even traffic rationing" commericial (2016)
• "Aam Kahani " Super 16mm Short Film (2013)
• "Potrayal of an Inanimate Furniture" 16mm short film (2011)
Producer - "Like a bridge" 35 mm b&W (2011)
Camera operator - "Isabel" 35 mm Color (2012)
Editor - "London in a headscarf" Documentary (2010)
Swastika Films - Chief Creative Officer
2014 - Current
• Managing all aspects of creative content including its production.
• Overseeing daily creative operations including research, creative writing & designing along with their productions & post productions.
• Supervising and motivating crew members to achieve optimal productivity.
• Aligning operations with client goals by creating easy collaborative process.
• Building and strengthening productive and valuable industry partnerships to drive collaboration, engagement and revenue stream development.
The Man Films - Assistant Director London 2012
• Cultivated and maintained positive working relationships with employees and freelance personnel.
• Assisted teams of professionals in daily operations.
• Complied with precise schedules by completing accurate, on-time work.
• Established budgets and tracked expenses.
Young & relentless filmmaker, with 10,000 + hours dedicated to film, documentary & animation production & appreciation. Delving into all aspects of film making and creating a stellar screenplay is his endeavour always. Having dealt with projects ranging from shoe string budgets to big name productions, Utkarsh can create cinema in any environment, budget and circumstances.
This movie is an unusual take on the serious intertwined topic of sexuality & rising population in developing economies to highlight how something as natural as sex is complicated and misunderstood at various levels in our contemporary life by people of all ages and sphere.
India, where patriarchy is the norm, virginity is still worshiped, the topic of sex in families is considered taboo with little or no discussion around the same. Therefore, culturally, men & women should keep a healthy distance, dress appropriately & if you have to indulge in any form of love making, it should be done behind locked doors with room lights off. Sexual desires in the youth and the elderly are taboo and healthy knowledge about sex, a dream to be accomplished.
I wrote & directed this film just to show the fatuous knowledge that Indians have about sex due to a sort of antipathy towards the topic.
"Death by Condom" deals with such unacceptable sensibilities in uninformed individuals, where we see a day in the life of an old fashioned Indian patriarch, a destined day where he stumbles upon a pack of imported condoms, a product of which he has no know how.
In this film, I have depicted life scenarios in a Fibonacci series of stupidity in this patriarch's life, which are born out of clear denials & misunderstandings about the basics of life, making him perceive good as absurd, truth as false.