We believe that the world is filled with individuals and communities practicing skillful actions that benefit others in kind and loving ways. In a world where media is highlighting many challenges, we believe that the path to healthy and helpful actions starts with clearly highlighting examples of compassion in action. Everything we do matters, and if we are to make positive changes in the world, we will need to learn about the power of compassion as a force that each of us can cultivate and draw upon as fuel for skillful actions.
The Compassion Film Festival is accepting feature-length and short films celebrating compassionate actions. We are looking for films highlighting acts of kindness, celebrating those taking action to alleviate suffering, or illustrating how even the smallest acts of kindness can inspire others. In the interest of welcoming our Latino community, we encourage Spanish language films (with English subtitles, please).
Compassion Film Festival expands on the films with other events and workshops to offer practices and tools for attendees to engage in life in more compassionate ways. Here are some highlights from Compassion Film Festival® 2019:
- 5 screenings of compassionate films totaling 360 minutes
- Special guests from Canada, Los Angeles, New York City, Mexico, and Colorado
- 10 workshops focused on skills for compassionate living
- Musical group Let Them Roar inspires support for latinas in sanctuary
- Compassion in Action main event local presenters
During our third year, we are building on the momentum and inspiration and inviting in the theme of THE POWER OF WE! What is the story of compassion in action through the lens of your camera?
To find out more about Compassion Film Festival and see last years line up visit www.compassionfest.world
Peoples Choice Awards for each short film collection (at least 2)
The winners for each of the categories will receive a gift package after the festival.
All accepted submissions will receive an all-access pass and meal tickets to the Compassion Film Festival.
Accepted films receive 1 free entry for next year's festival.
The Compassion Film Festival will have at least 5 film screenings equaling over 6 hours of screen time in 2020. We thematically develop the screenings and provide an opportunity for festival attendees to vote for their personal favorite movie from the two short-length film screenings. We will be providing special laurels and accolades for those films that win the People’s Choice Awards.
- Acceptance of all regulations.
- A guarantee that a screening copy in the format specified will be made available for the dates of the event.
- Authorization to publicly exhibit the work at Compassion Film Festival 2020.
- Compassion Film Festival accepts experimental, narrative, documentary, and animated films.
- We are delighted to accept short (30 minutes or less) and feature-length films for 2019.
- Works must be in English or with English subtitles.
- We encourage dual language films (Spanish and English)
- Productions must have been completed after January 1, 2017.
- If screening copy is to be provided by a distributor or agent,entry must be submitted by that distributor/agent, along with any criteria or conditions.
- If film is accepted, final content needs to be submitted no later than June 15th, 2020.
- If a film is accepted, Compassion Film Festival is granted permission to utilize an excerpt and stills from the film for promotional purposes.
STUDENT SUBMISSION FEES:
- We do offer discounted fees for current students. Please email email@example.com to receive an application. You will be asked to provide a student ID.
PRE-SCREENERS TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- We prefer online screeners and entrees uploaded to the FilmFreeway website.
- Please provide passwords for online screeners.
- If you do not have an online screener, contact us to investigate possible accommodations.
FINALIST MASTERS TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Final content needs to be submitted no later than June 15th, 2019.
- Exhibition copy must be submitted as an online download, on a USB 3.0, or external hard drive.
- We will not accept streaming from internet sites.
- The file should start with the first frame of content and end in black.
- ProRes 422 files
- HD 1920 x 1080 container
- We prefer .mov or .mp4 files
- Format audio to 2 channel output: L/R or Stereo
- No slate, pops, bars or tones.
- We cannot accept: streaming from internet sites, DCP content, or 4k content (Please down res to 2k).
If your film is accepted we will be requesting:
- High-resolution promotional images (4 x 6 at 300dpi)
- Press Package with production credits and biographies
- HD trailer and HD clips
- Hard copy materials such as: postcards, posters, shirts, hats, cards, etc...
- Logline and synopsis
SUBMISSION FEE WAIVERS:
We will not be offering any fee discounts or waivers until our early bird deadline on April 1st. Filmmakers who want to be considered for a fee waiver or discount need to fill our a scholarship application. To apply for a scholarship please email Aaron Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for considering submitting to the Compassion Film Festival. Sending you much love and kindness!
Response from festival:
Ah, Lulu! Such a wonderful opportunity to meet and have such an adventure with you. You persevered through the travels and late/early arrival, and offered us a connection with your film FORETOLD. We are deeply grateful for your presence and kindness at the festival. Your little gifts of knowledge, compassion, and tasty maple syrup cookies were such a treat!
Response from festival:
Samuel! Thank you for your service to compassion in action. We humans consume many films and it is our vision to encourage the production and consumption of films such as ROSES ARE READ. May you continue to cultivate and tell stories about compassionate actions! Peace and ease,