PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING: Please review the "Rules & Terms" section. We do four (4) cycles each year centered around cultural heritage. The purpose is to promote and celebrate various cultures. Please be certain your film is aligned with the theme/cycle you are submitting to. Films that are not theme appropriate will be disqualified. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.
Our November 2021 showcase will take place online and celebrates Native American, First Nations and Indigenous filmmakers, communities, tribes and culture.
Our theme for this showcase cycle is “History, Heritage, and New Horizons” – Paying tribute to the past, embracing the culture, encouraging renewal and maintenance of the customs and traditions. We are actively seeking content that speaks to theme, is family friendly, educational, uplifting and inspiring. Submitted projects highlighting thematic elements of adventure, fantasy, folklore and surrealism are highly encouraged. We are open to smart, "outside-the-box" thrillers but no horror (slashers or gore), please.
Huntington Beach is a seaside city within Orange County in Southern California. Known for its beautiful beach, mild climate, and excellent surfing, it earned the nickname of Surf City USA. This event is sponsored by the Huntington Beach Human Relations Task Force.
MISSION & BACKGROUND:
The Huntington Beach Human Relations Task Force (HRTF) promotes and celebrates diversity in Huntington Beach through education and understanding. The Huntington Beach community-wide effort to promote human dignity is an important element in building a better community. In support of this mission, we host cultural showcases throughout the year.
CULTURAL CINEMA SHOWCASE:
We host a series of cultural cinema showcases each year in celebration of Black History Month, Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month, National Hispanic Heritage Month, and Native American Heritage Month. Using the arts as a bridge, we curate and select a variety of films in various categories.
Digital Laurels, High Commendation films may be invited to screen on Huntington Beach's HBTV cable channel, all Honorable Mentions, Official Selections and High Commendation films will be announced on our website.
1. All films must be produced, shot and/or completed AFTER Jan. 1, 2017.
2. You may not submit more than TWO films during a showcase cycle. If you submit more than two, the other films after the first two will be disqualified.
3. You may only submit in up to TWO categories. If you attempt to submit in more than two categories, all submissions will be disqualified.
3. If you previously submitted a film that was not selected, you may resubmit if it meets all of the submission guidelines of the current showcase cycle.
4. If your film previously screened in the showcase or received an Honorable Mention or award in any other category, you may NOT submit the same film again.
1. The TRT (total run time) limits of all films include the complete end credits.
2. Any submission exceeding the time limit of the category the film was entered, will be disqualified.
1. If your film includes non-English language, please include subtitles within the film or an option to turn them on via other platforms.
2. Films without subtitles will be accepted but may not be ranked as high if the screeners are unable to understand the context.
1. We accept FilmFreeway, Vimeo, or YouTube submissions submitted via FilmFreeway. If your film is submitted in any other format, it will be labeled as "Incomplete."
2. After 2 or more days of being "Incomplete" the project may be disqualified.
3. If submitting a password-protected project, please be sure the password is correct. Projects with incorrect passwords may be disqualified.
4. All films must be submitted online via FilmFreeway. You may also submit links for Vimeo and YouTube where your projects are featured via FilmFreeway. However, please remember to include passwords, if necessary.
FORMATS & SELECTIONS:
Currently, we do not accept DCP formats. If your film is selected, you must allow us to download an MP4 file (1080 HD) or upload a digital file of your project (MP4 - 1080 HD), within 7 days. You will receive additional instructions from the showcase coordinators. Selected high-scoring submissions will have the opportunity to participate in a live, online panel to discuss their projects. If you film is selected for panel, additional information will be requested beforehand.
By submitting a project to the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase, the applicant confirms and warrants that s/he is entitled to submit the project to the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase and has authorization and consent from the owners of copyright and related rights, any trademarked content and/or other subject matter of intellectual property on the content included within the submission. The City of Huntington Beach and all its affiliates, will not and cannot be held liable for any infringements.
Furthermore, by submitting to the HB Cultural Cinema Showcase the applicant guarantees that all rights are cleared, declares to be the owner of the rights in the work submitted and that he/she is authorized to grant rights of usage and/or to transfer it to third parties. PLEASE NOTE: If your film does not have proper releases and user rights, it may be disqualified.
HB Cultural Cinema Showcase, its representatives, authorized persons and/or employees shall not be held responsible for any unauthorized inclusion of any content that might be the basis for third parties’ claims.
The applicant shall protect and fully indemnify HB Cultural Cinema Showcase, all of its representatives, authorized persons and/or employees against all claims, losses, damages, liabilities, and expenses arising out of or in connection with claims by third parties in relation to the submission.
HB Cultural Cinema Showcase reserves the right to disqualify and exclude any film that is subject to third parties’ claims.
Please be advised, WE DO NOT PAY TO SHOWCASE, FEATURE OR SCREEN FILMS. If you have a distribution deal, by submitting to this showcase, you give us permission to display, broadcast, share, feature copyright protected content on our website and/or other online/streaming formats free of charge and without any claims of copyright or trademark infringement.