Detroit Voices is a local short film competition that champions Michigan filmmakers by showcasing the talent and creative spirit of our state. A continuing force in the Cinetopia Film Festival mission, Detroit Voices provides the opportunity for local filmmakers to showcase their creative spirit and Michigan perspective with a larger audience. The competition is open to all Michigan filmmakers with an additional category awarding a high school filmmaker.
Winners will be announced at the first Detroit Voices program within the festival.
Grand Jury Prize
Jury prize for the most dynamic short film in competition.
Cash Award: 3,000 U.S. Dollars
Best High School Film
Jury prize for the student short film that shows the most promise in the art of filmmaking.
Cash Award: 1,000 U.S. Dollars
The audience decides and votes for the crowd favorite!
Cash Award: 1,500 U.S. Dollars
Jury prize for the short film that has that special something that makes us smile, laugh, and/or cry.
Cash Award: 500 U.S. Dollars
Detroit Voices is primarily a shorts program though feature films may be submitted and will be reviewed if time and resources permit. Feature films are not in competition for any of the 2019 prizes but may be considered for a screening honorarium.
Please submit your application when you are ready to send your film in the most complete and finished form possible, as we will only watch the first cut submitted.
Detroit Voices 2019 Rules and Regulations:
1. Your film must be made by Michigan filmmakers. Films are not required to come exclusively from Detroit though films from Wayne, Washtenaw, Oakland, and Macomb counties will be given priority.
2. Your film must either be shot in southeast Michigan OR feature a story about Michigan or Michigan characters.
3. All submissions must only contain content owned by the submitting team.
4. Films over 30 minutes will not be considered for the shorts program.
5. Films with unlicensed music or visuals cannot be played at the festival.
6. The filmmaker or a representative for the filmmaking team must be in attendance to be considered for any of the 2019 prizes.
7. Cinetopia reserves the right to use clips from the film and images submitted with the film for marketing and promotional purposes.
8. Cinetopia reserves the right to reject any material that is discriminatory in nature.