Cinema in Sneakers – a fresh and buzzing project – is organised by Cinemania Foundation. We started off in 2013 with big hopes and enthusiasm that only crazy, uncontrollable film buffs have. The idea to create a film festival for kids was influenced by Janusz Korczak’s credo : “There are no children as such – only people; but people with different experiences, different drives and different reactions.” And these people have the right to watch a wide array of films: about varied cultures, problems, made with diverse styles, but made with respect to kids.
Everything started with THE NEED. Having worked in the film industry for over a decade, we noticed this big, gaping hole that exists in the Polish market of the cinematic productions for kids and youth. One that has grown over the years and one that our generation has luckily escaped. We were given films that helped us develop as people, characters that we could compare to; that mirrored our reality; films that were made for us and about us. We felt that the contemporary youth was being deprived of that.
From the very beginning we wanted to give the kids the room to roam, so we commenced the festival competitions with children and youth juries, where The Main Prize are “THE SNEAKERS”. We recruited teenagers to the Youth Programming Group who decide on the final selection to Youth Films Competition.
Besides the competitions, we also present films in the following sections: Childhood Enchantments – films that amazed our special guests when they were children; Focus on Docs; Icons of Pop Culture, where we celebrate famous film characters and analyze why they became pop-culture icons; Digital Poland for Kids – Polish reconstructed films made for children and Cinema in Sneakers - Naturally!
One of the Festival’s goals is to act as a forum, where experiences and knowledge in regards to a young person’s problems in the contemporary world can be exchanged. It highlights the importance of having the access to diverse cinematic titles targeting a given age group, and presents it as an invaluable part of the of a balanced and virtuous young person’s development.
The main prize in each category goes to the film’s director(s):
– THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS for the best short for children and the financial award of 2000 PLN
– THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS for the best feature for children and the financial award of 6000 PLN
– THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS for the best short for youth and the financial award of 2000 PLN
– THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS for the best feature for youth and the financial award of 6000 PLN
-THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS is also given to the director of the best film according to the audience choice (Audience Award).
apart of it there are many honorary prizes awarded every edition.
Terms and Conditions
1. Kino w Trampkach [Cinema in Sneakers] Film & Media International Festival for Children and Youth will take place in 2023 in Warsaw (11th edition) from 25 May to 4 June and in Gdańsk (4th edition) from 6 to 10 December.
2. The festival will take place in a hybrid format: stationary and online.
3. The aim of the Festival is to present a wide range of exceptional, cutting-edge films and new-media works from around the world aimed at young audiences, encouraging an active interest in film. The Festival is looking for titles with children and teenagers as the main protagonists and those created with young audiences in mind.
4. The organisers reserve the right to change the dates and to move all events and screenings to online, for reasons beyond their control, such as the development of the Covid-19 outbreak.
5. The Festival is organized by the Cinemania Foundation.
6. The Warsaw Festival programme consists of the following sections:
a) International Feature and Short Film Competition for children and young people presenting films produced between 2020 and 2023. Full-length and short live-action, documentary, animated and experimental films are eligible for the competition. Films in the competition will be judged in two categories: children's and youth. These categories are assigned by the Organiser;
b) thematic sections and special screenings - out-of-competition presentations of films for children, young people and adults.
7. The Gdańsk Festival programme consists of the following sections:
a) International Feature and Short Film Competition for children and young people presenting films produced between 2020 and 2023. Short live-action documentary, animated and experimental films are eligible for the competition. Films in the competition will be judged in two categories: children's and youth. These categories are assigned by the Organiser;
b) thematic sections and special screenings - out-of-competition presentations of films for children, young people and adults.
JURY and AWARDS - WARSAW FESTIWAL
8. The Children's Jury shall award the following prizes
a) for the director(s) of the Best Short Film For Children THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS and financial award of PLN 2.000,00 gross.
b) for the director(s) of the Best Full-Length Children's Film THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS and a financial prize of PLN 6.000,00 gross.
9. The Youth Jury shall award the following prizes
a) for the director(s) of the Best Short Film For Youth THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS and financial award in the amount of PLN 2.000,00 gross.
b) for the director(s) of the Best Full-Length Film For Youth THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS and the financial prize of PLN 6.000,00 gross.
10. The Film Educators’ Jury shall award the The Film Educators’ Prize to the best full-length film for children and youth.
11. The Parents Jury shall award the Parents Award to the best full-length film for children.
12. The Festival audience shall award its prize to the best full-length film.
JURY and AWARDS - GDAŃSK FESTIWAL
13.The Children's Jury will award THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS to the director(s) of the best short film for children .
14.The Youth Jury will award THE UNIQUE PAIR OF SNEAKERS to the director(s) of the best short film for young people .
15. The Parents Jury shall award the Parents Award to the best short film for children.
16. The festival audience will award its prize for the best short film.
JURY and AWARDS - OTHER CONDITIONS
17.Each jury may award an honourable mention in any competition category.
18. In the event that the winning film has more than one director, the financial prize will be divided equally between them. A pair of Trampies is awarded to each co-director.
19. Other prizes funded by individuals, institutions and organisations may be awarded in agreement with the Organiser.
20. Payment of financial prizes:
a) Prizes will be paid by bank transfer, in Polish zloty, after appropriate tax deductions.
b) The prize can be converted into euros or US dollars - the average exchange rate of the National Bank of Poland (NBP) on the preceding business day of the transfer. The prize can be converted into euros or US dollars - the average exchange rate of the National Bank of Poland on the preceding business day of the transfer.
c) Immediately after the announcement of the verdicts, the prize winner will receive a form from the Organiser, which he/she is obliged to fill in with the data enabling the payment of the prize. This form should be sent to the Organiser by e-mail within 7 working days of its receipt, no later than June 21st, 2023.
d) The prizes shall be paid within 90 days of the determination of the results of the Competition but after the Organiser receives a duly completed form, which must be submitted together with the original certificate of tax residence in the case of non-resident Winners wishing to avoid double taxation. The certificate of tax residence must be delivered by June 30th, 2023 at the latest, otherwise the prize will be paid in accordance with Polish tax law.
21. The call for entries opens on August 1st, 2022.
22. The film can be entered by the author, producer or other entitled body. Any claims for unauthorized entry are the applicant’s responsibility.
23. Whether a film will be admitted to the Festival is decided by the Organiser. In case of Youth Films Competition the final word rests with the Youth Programming Group.
24. Only the films which have been entered within the specified time limit and in compliance with these Regulations are subject to selection for Festival screenings.
25. Each entry must be accompanied by:
a) An entry form completed online (available from www.kinowtrampkach.pl and FilmFreeway).
b) A screener with the film in an English language version or with English subtitles.
26. The competition is open to films which meet the following criteria:
a) Are live-action, documentary, animated or experimental films, either full-length or short ones, made after January 1, 2020. ‘Full-length’ should be understood as longer than 60 minutes. ‘Short’ should be understood as shorter than 25 minutes.
b) A child/young person protagonist or, where the above condition cannot be met, the film takes into account the perspective of a young audience.
c) Films are available as a DCP, digital files or BluRay. Screening from other sources is acceptable provided it is agreed with the Festival Organiser in advance. Films can be screened both in cinemas and via the video player embedded onto the Festival’s website, on the terms agreed directly with the Entrants, after the film has been qualified for the Festival
27.The final deadline for submitting entry forms and materials for the competition section is December 16th, 2022.
28. All Entrants will be notified of the selection results as soon as the selection process is complete.
29. The festival does not charge for film entry.
30. Selected films are made available to the Festival free of charge.
31. A film which participation in the Festival has been confirmed, cannot be withdrawn from the program after 1st March 2023.
32. The screening copies should reach the Festival Office in Warsaw by 10th April 2023. Any exceptions to this rule should be agreed with the Festival before this date. The copy should be properly marked. Deviations from this condition should be agreed with the Festival before this date.
33. The screening copy should be compatible with the preview copy. It should be in original language version with English subtitles (only if English is not the original language).
34. Shipping costs
a) The costs of upcoming shipment are covered by the Submitter unless it is otherwise agreed with the Organizer.
b) The sender should follow the shipment instruction, which will be provided by the Organizer together with the selection results.
c) The Festival incurs the costs of outgoing shipment unless it is otherwise agreed with the Organizer.
d) In the case of copies received in an electronic form, the Organiser will make every effort to prevent such a copy from being in the possession of third parties and shall remove it from all its servers immediately after the end of the festival.
e) The insurance shall cover the period from the delivery of the print to the Organiser’s address by the delivering carrier, to the collection of the print from the Organiser by the returning carrier.
6. ADDITIONAL FESTIVAL RIGHTS
35. The Submitter grants the Festival the right to use:
a) the screening copy for the festival screenings in Warsaw and in Gdansk;
b) the provided promotional materials (stills, descriptions, pressbooks) for the festival publications (leaflets, programme, website, catalogues, other internet publications, press, TV) and for the Festival promotion in media. The materials can be edited.
c) film excerpts ( trailer or up to 2 minutes from feature and up to 30 seconds from short film) for promotional purposes.
36. The organizer has the rights to use fragments of the film and promotional materials for subsequent editions of the Festival on the terms described in point 33. In terms resulting from sub-paragraphs a) and b), the Submitter grants the Festival respective licenses, or permits free exercise by the Organizer of subsidiary rights to the song .
7. FINAL PROVISIONS
37. In case of doubt the definitive interpretation is up to the Festival’s Artistic Director.
38. Any questions regarding the submission and selection of films, please send to email@example.com
39. The Competitions described above, are not “a game of chance”, nor “a tambola”, nor “a mutual bet”, nor “a promotional lottery” which result depends on coincidence according to art. 2 of The Act of Games of Chance and Mutual Bets from 29.07.1992 (journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland, no 62, it. 341 with later changes).
40. Submitting a film to the Festival is equivalent to the acceptance:
a) of the conditions set out in these Terms & Conditions.
b) for the processing personal data for the selection and marketing purposes. / Data Protection Law from 29.08.1997, Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland, no 133, it. 833 with later changes.
41. The Organizer is not responsible for violation of rights of third parties arising from the use of the submitted works , unless the violation is only the fault of the Organiser . In this regard, the applicant’s movie releases the Organizer from liability.
42. In the event of doubt in regards to the interpretation of the T&C’s, the Polish version is the deciding one .