The annual Chicago International Television Festival is an international competition celebrating the quality and diversity in TV programming and commercials worldwide. Entries to the competition are judged by a jury of top media professionals, recognizing the finest in television from around the world and bestowing the highest honor, the Gold Hugo, to works that move the audience and further the medium.
One of the most prolific and influential elements in the lives of millions, television has long been a fixture of the American experience. For over 50 years, the Chicago International Television Festival has honored the most innovative and outstanding members of the television community. As television productions and commercials continue to evolve in the digital age, the competition is an annual gathering for those who keep the medium vibrant and shape its future. We host an Awards Night Gala in March, which showcases the winning works and presents career achievement awards to select people or companies that have had a lasting impact on the medium. Past honorees have included Kelsey Grammer, FRONTLINE, Bill Kurtis, Kelsey Grammer, Jesse Spencer, ESPN Films, WTTW, Shawn Ryan, MJZ, Hungry Man, OPTIMUS, and Leo Burnett.
Awards & Prizes
Gold and Silver Hugos are the highest honors presented by the Chicago International Film Festival Television Awards. Hugos are awarded only to outstanding productions that achieve effective communications through technical excellence and creativity. Gold and Silver Plaques are awarded to entries of superior quality that are among the best in their category. Certificates of Merit are awarded to productions that the jury feels contain strengths that deserve recognition.
Rules & Terms
54th Chicago International Television Festival
Presented by Cinema/Chicago and the Chicago International Film Festival
GUIDELINES & REGULATIONS
1. Entries must be postmarked no later than February 12, 2018
2. Entries must be submitted via streaming link, DVD, or Bluray. Do not send film prints, master tapes, or other originals. Streaming links are preferred.
3. Submit one completed entry form (or online entry confirmation) and one copy of your production for each submission. Entries must be submitted separately (entries to the TV Series or Commercial Campaign categories may have more than one episode or commercial per disc.)
4. Entries can only be submitted to one category. Submitting the same production to multiple categories will require a separate entry form and fee for each category.
5. Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate submission fee. Entry fees are non-refundable.
6. International (outside the US) checks and money orders are not accepted. Entry fees must be paid by credit card. International bank transfers are not accepted.
7. Entry forms and payment will not be processed without an accompanying screener. Physical screeners will not be considered for competition unless accompanied by necessary fees and entry forms.
8. The Chicago International Television Festival is not responsible for incorrect wording in publications or on awards if the entry form is incorrect or illegible.
1. Television productions and commercials that have aired or are scheduled to air on television or internet-based television in 2017 and 2018 are eligible. Entries for internet-based television programs or commercials must include the URL at which they were broadcast.
2. Entries may be submitted by the director, producer, agency, distributor, or client. In categories of Special Achievement, entries may be submitted by a crewmember who worked on the production.
3. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into competition and to use all music, images, and content in the entry. Entrant will allow usage of clips from the entry for promotional use on television, radio, in print, and at the Chicago International Television Festival Awards Night Ceremony.
4. All entries must be in English or contain English subtitles.
1. The cost of shipping an entry to the competition must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted.
2. All international entries must be sent “Free Domicile” to the competition office with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes pre-paid by shipper. Any brokerage fees charged to the Chicago International Television festival will be refused. Please be sure to include all the proper customs documentation as required by your shipping service.
Gold and Silver Hugos are the highest honors presented by the Chicago International Film Festival Television Awards are awarded only to outstanding productions that achieve effective communications through technical excellence and creativity. Gold and Silver Plaques are awarded to entries of superior quality that are among the best in their category. Certificates of Merit are awarded to productions that the jury feels contain strengths that deserve recognition.
The Chicago International Television Festival’s mission is to recognize the enormous technical and creative energy behind television commercials and productions and to highlight their importance in communications. Each year, we assemble panels of distinguished media professionals to judge our competitive categories. To ensure fully qualified appraisals, we select judges who are familiar with the industry and intended audience of each entry. All aspects of the production's technical execution are evaluated for professionalism, creativity, and effectiveness in achieving its goals. The production budget is carefully considered; a resourceful use of limited funds is highly valued by our judges. Entries are judged against others in the same category, but judges have the right to recommend that no award be given in a category if entries do not meet the award criteria. In the event of a tie, two awards may be presented. Our annual list of winners is circulated around the world to distributors, educators, potential clients, and the press to ensure winners receive maximum recognition.
For television commercial categories, entrants permit the Chicago International Film Festival Television Awards to show selected entries at the 2018 Chicago International Television Festival Awards Ceremony. For television production categories, entrants permit clips of selected winners to be shown at the 2018 Chicago International Television Festival.
The 2018 Chicago International Television Festival
212 W. Van Buren St. Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60603-5628
Phone: 312.683.0121 Fax: 312.683.0122
Please select the category that is most appropriate for your production or commercial.
Television Programs Categories:
P01 – Animated Program
P02 – Children’s Program
P03 – Comedy Program
P04 – Dramatic Program
P05 – Nonfiction Program
P06 – Music Video
P07 – Sporting Event
P08 – Student-Produced Program
P09 – Online Television Program
P10 – Television Pilot
Television Series Categories:
P11 – Animated Series
P12 – Children’s Series
P13 – Comedy Series
P14 – Dramatic Series
P15 – Nonfiction Series
P16 – Min-Series
P17 – News Series
P18 – Reality Series
P19 – Student-Produced Series
P20 – Talk Show Series
P21 – Online Television Series
Individual commercials compete against one another for our "Best Commercial" prize, and Commercial Campaigns compete for our "Best Commercial Campaign" prize. These categories are for jury reference only, and do not exist as individual competitions.
C03: Automobile Retailer
C05: Beverages (Alcoholic)
C06: Beverages (Non-alcoholic)
C07: Business Products/Services
C08: Cellular Phone/Service
C09: Cosmetics/Personal Care Products
C11: Fast Food
C12: Food Products
C13: Health Care
C14: Home Electronics
C15: Household Appliances/Furnishings
C16: Household Products
C18: Institutional/Corporate Identity
C20: Long Form Commercial
C22: Network Promotion
C24: Online/Web services
C27: Public Service Announcement
C30: Sporting Event/Athletics
C33: Other Products
C34: Other Services
C35: Online Spot
C36: Online Campaign
C37: Commercial Campaign
C38: PSA Campaign
Special Achievement (Television Programs and Commercials)
SA03: Art Direction/Production Design
SA07: Music – Original
SA08: Sound Design
SA09: Visual Effects
Television Productions (P01-P10)
30 minutes and under: $100
31-60 minutes: $125
61 minutes and over: $150
Television Series (P11-P21)
At least two episodes must be submitted
All Entries: $250
Special Achievement (SA01-SA10)
Television Production Series and Commercial Campaigns not applicable. Individual commercials and productions only, please.
All entries: $125
30 seconds and under: $150
Over 30 seconds: $200
Commercial Campaign (C36-C38)
All Campaigns: $250