Cheap Cuts Documentary Film Festival is the UK's ONLY short documentary film festival. Dedicated to showcasing the best of international and British documentary talent.
As always, we have a jury of judges made up of internationally renowned documentary filmmakers, who will be helping to select and award the films we screen at the festival.
Each category winner will be awarded with an exclusive prize and those films chosen as finalists will screen in London to an audience of filmmakers and documentary enthusiasts.
Our board of supporters and patrons is made up of a careful selection of both feature length and short documentary filmmakers, innovative production companies and organisations committed to showcasing and supporting independent filmmakers.
2020 Prizes TBC
- 50% off kit rental from Feral Equipment
- 20% discount off Raindance courses
- FREE documentary course at Raindance
- 25% off hires through Fat Lama for 1 year
- FREE listing of your script/pitch on InkTip
- FREE waiver to submit the European Independent Film Festival
- Free submission entry to Melbourne Documentary Film Fest worth 40 $ USD
- Free submission to Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival worth 75 $ USD
- Free submission entry to Arohanui Film Festival (NZ) worth 30 $
- 50% on Rental Kit at Feral Equipment
- More TBA
Best British - £600 camera & sound kit hire from Feral Equipment
Full film review & interview with About Time
London Emerging - Filmmaking Course with Raindance
Full review & interview with Girls On Film
Best International - Full review and interview with Gorilla Magazine
PLEASE, READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING!
ALL FILMS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES STATED BELOW WILL NOT BE VIEWED AND WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED. IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION SUCH AS FINISH DATE, CONTACT DETAILS AND WORKING ONLINE SCREENER, THEN YOUR FILM WILL NOT BE VIEWED.
- MUST BE UNDER 40 MINS IN LENGTH
- MUST BE FINISHED AFTER JANUARY 2016
- MUST BE IN ENGLISH OR ENGLISH SUBTITLED
- MUST BE DOCUMENTARY
- MAXIMUM OF 2 FILMS FOR EACH DIRECTOR AND/OR PRODUCER
- PLEASE ONLY SUBMIT TO ONE CATEGORY PER FILM
Terms and Conditions:
1. Cheap Cuts Documentary Film Festival will take place in 2020. Dates TBC
2. Cheap Cuts is a festival dedicated exclusively to short documentary. We are particularly interested in independent productions and new emerging talent.
3. Deadlines for entries is November 30th 2019.
4. Only entries that include the sending of the film (uploading) and a fully filled application form will be accepted. Entries must be through FilmFreeway ONLY.
5. Rules for eligibility
- Must be under 40 mins.
- Must be completed after January 2016.
- We ONLY accept documentary. Narrative/music video etc will not be viewed.
- Must be able to be screened digitally.
- Film must be subtitled if not in English.
6. The version of the films to be used for the selection process will not be deleted. They will become part of the archive of Cheap Cuts where they may be consulted by the associates. For any kind of public projection during the festival no further permission from the owner will be required.
7. The selection committee will decide the section in which the film will be programmed. The festival is responsible for the selection of the films that compose the entire program.
8. At the festival, all the selected films will be screened with English subtitles. It is the filmmaker’s responsibility to ensure that the version of the film intended for screening is sufficiently subtitled in English.
9. The Festival has 4 categories:
- Best British Documentary
- Best International Documentary
- British Emerging Talent
- Mini Documentary
10. In case the film is selected, Cheap Cuts festival will inform the participant via email. After the participant has been informed of the film selection for the festival, the film must not be shown in the UK publicly until it is screened at Cheap Cuts Film Festival.
11. Immediately after being confirmed the selection, you should send by email:
• Three photos from the film (minimum resolution: 300 dpi – 10x10cm)
• Biography and filmography of the director.
• Final synopsis for the program and for the catalogue.
• Previous festivals and awards.
12. The costs related to sending the copy to UK will be borne by the participant.
13. The competition juries will comprise nationally and internationally renowned film makers from the documentary short film field. Decisions of the juries are final.
14. After the film has been selected for the official programme, it cannot be withdrawn. The festival may also use a fragment of three minutes length of the film for promotion of the festival on TV, radio, internet, as well as the publicity material of the film (press kit, posters, etc.) for promotion purposes also.
15. Cheap Cuts Festival guests are not covered by the insurance of the festival.
16. Participants films must follow copyright laws for music, footage or any other form of material used in their films.
17. All entries of films made to Cheap Cuts presuppose knowledge of and acceptance
of these regulations.
18. The festival board will decide upon all matters that are not covered by
these regulations in accordance with the international rules of film festivals.