Launched in 1995 to take place during prime year-end winter dates – December 26th through January 2nd – the Festival has become an important showcase for positioning films, filmmakers, and talent in contention for potential year-end awards and simultaneously promoting tourism in the south of Italy during the holiday season. It is also a major building block of the "magical bridge" between the Italian and American motion picture industries as is evidenced by the prestigious attendance of such majors as Warner Bros, Fox, Universal, Paramount, Sony, Disney, and Lionsgate along with prominent independent producers and professionals who are competing for the sought-after Oscars, Golden Globe and BAFTA statuettes.
During and after the event, the Academy Scientific Board will bestow the following awards: Best Picture; Best Director; Best Actor; Best Actress; Best Supporting Actor; Best Supporting Actress; Best Adapted Screenplay; Best Original Screenplay; Best Animated Movie; Best Documentary Feature; Best Foreign Language Film; Best Cinematography; Best Film Editing; Best Make-up and Hairstyling; Best Production Design; Best Original Song; Best Original Score; Best Sound Editing; Best Visual Effects; Best Ensemble Cast; Career Achievement Award
1) The 2020 Capri Special Contest will take place over the six-day period from Saturday December 26th to Thursday December 31st.
2) The activities of Capri Special Contest 2020 are divided into two sections:
1. The International Film Fest: Open to Feature Films from all over the world and distributed in theatres and/or platforms from January 1st 2020 to December 31st 2020 (or in any case in preview)
2. Capri - European Film Fest: Open to European Feature Films distributed in cinemas and/or on platforms from January 1st, 2020, to December 31st, 2020 (or in preview)
3. Capri - International Docu Fest: Open to Documentaries from all over the world and distributed in theatres and/or platforms from January 1st 2020 to December 31st 2020 (or in any case in preview)
4. Capri - International Short Cut Fest: Open to Short Cuts from all over the world in preview or not. Short films must not run for more than 20'.
1. Today's Italian Cinema: Open to National Feature Films distributed in cinemas and/or on platforms from January 1st, 2020, to December 31st, 2020 (or in preview)
2. Capri - Italian Docu Fest: Open to Documentaries distributed in cinemas and/or on platforms from January 1st, 2020, to December 31st, 2020 (or in preview)
3. Capri - Italian Short Cut Fest: Best Italian Short Cut. Short films must not run for more than 20'.
4. Capri - Italian Fiction Fest: Best Italian Fiction
3) The International language works should include the English subtitles, the pressbook with the artistic and tecnical information and the eventual attendance in other Festival.
4) The list of selected films will be communicated by email to the participants.
5) Whoever holds the rights of the same or who is legitimately authorized by the right holders must register the work.
6) The works are exclusively and unquestionably selected by the Scientific Board of the Festival with the support of international luminaries who are chosen by the Academy’s panel and who provide full support to the event. The works will be chosen based on artistic quality and social depth.
7) Capri Special Contest 2020 bears feature films and documentaries already released in theatres and/or on the platforms together with those that will be previewed in Capri, and those that will be proposed pre and post Oscars 2021 for strategic needs. The selected ones will be communicated via e-mail to Contest participants.
8) The director, producers or/and talents of the award winner films winner will be invited to present their film to the Festival
9) Italian works that have aroused international interest will be presented to the Scientific Academy and the audience with English subtitles.
10) Foreign films will be presented in their original version and with Italian subtitles. Producers of movies spoken in a language other than English are kindly invited to provide English subtitles and an Italian translation of the dialogues.
11) The copies of the films (in DCP format) selected by the Festival must be received by the General Office of the Festival, in Rome, not later than December 15, 2020, in compliance with the instructions provided by the Planning Department. Together with the copy of the film (in DCP format), the participants must send a press book with technical and artistic information on the work, photos, trailers and any other promotional material that can be distributed to the press and published on the Festival website and social media. Shipping costs are charged to the participants. Shipments from non-EU countries must display the words "no commercial value, for cultural purposes only".
12) Film copies will be returned to their owners not later than January 15, 2020.
13) A brochure will be published with the general information of the program.
14) The screenings’ calendar and timetable will be made known by the Festival Management not later than December 20th. The Festival organization is not responsible for any changes due to unexpected circumstances (climate conditions, technical issues, problems linked to the artists’ visit to Capri, etc.). The official program will be printed and made available by the Festival Management which will notify submitters and attendees about these changes through the Festival’s website www.capri-world.com.
15) All the works will be insured against any type of risk that may cause damage to the copies, including their loss or theft. The insurance policy is entered by Institute Capri in the World and covers the period during which the properties are in possession of the Festival. In case a copy is lost or damaged, the responsibility of the Festival will be limited to the value of its reprint according to current Italian fees.
16) The works presented in Capri will be selected and assessed according to the unquestionable judgement of the Academy Scientific Board.
17) The Scientific Board has the competence and right to assess the works and award them.
18) Applications filed to the aim of taking part in the Special Contest imply full acceptance of the present regulations.