\\ The Best in Shorts Competition:
Celebrating Short Films and New Media worldwide. Based in our nation's capital- Washington, DC, the Capitol Hill Film Classic's mission is to support filmmakers!
The Best in Shorts Competition is unique in the industry. A new festival attracting both powerhouse companies as well as talented new filmmakers. Currently in its inaugural year, the Best in Shorts is an avant-garde competition that strives to give talented first-time directors, producers, actors, new media creators and members of the creative teams a unique venue for their work and the positive exposure they deserve. It discovers and honors the achievements of filmmakers who produce high quality shorts and new media especially first timers.
The Best in Shorts program seeks to promote filmmakers through press releases to industry contacts and global media / distribution outlets. Additionally, we seek to host a networking event for exhibiting filmmakers.
Serving filmmakers is Capitol Hill Film Classic's primary goal!
\\ What kind of shorts:
The Best in Shorts Competition is an excellent venue for films, documentaries, new and experimental media, and animation. As long as the entry is 29 minutes or less, it is eligible for submission.
\\ Benefits of Participating:
Promotional Laurels – give your film opening and graphics that wow factor!
Peer Review – our judges are filmmakers who understand the craft and what audiences want.
Publicity Enhancement – Winners are announced to industry professionals, press, and additional international media outlets.
Press Release - We provide a fill-in-the-blanks Press Release to help you promote your win. We've done the heavy lifting - just fill it in and send to media outlets that suit your work!
Social Media Push – Facebook and Twitter announcements of winners and updates from our filmmaking community can be shared with your own lists.
Public Screening – at Miracle Theater in the nation's capitol, Washington, DC.
CAPITOL HILL FILM CLASSIC WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE FOLLOWING SPONSORS:
The Yard: Eastern Market --> www.theyard.com
monday.com (formerly dapulse) --> www.monday.com
Personal CRM --> www.followup.cc
Rekola Film Co --> www.rekolafilm.com
Annandale Balancing Co --> www.annandalebalancing.com
Capital Practice Consulting --> www.capitalpractice.com
Congressional Federal Credit Union --> www.congressionalfcu.org
\\ Judging and Award Levels:
This year the Best in Shorts Competition is seeking entries. Quality and creativity are celebrated in three awards:
The Washington- the jury award, the Monty- our Best Director award, and the Zuri- our Audience Award. With a minimum six films being selected for public screening in Washington, DC.
The judging takes place by in-house staff and a committee of screeners. Then via collaboration with the 2018 Jury.
Unlike some festivals, at the Capitol Hill Film Classic, entries do not compete against each other. Instead, entries are judged against a high standard of merit and are scored accordingly. Judges score entries on a performance scale and winning entries are exhibited during our film festival with the chance to compete for the Washington Award, the Monty or the Zuri.
Each submission received will be confirmed by FilmFreeway and Capitol Hill Film Classic administrative offices via electronic mail.
After judging is completed, winners in all categories will be notified of their award and are provided additional information such as links to winner’s laurels etc.
Winning films are also announced by social media and a press release is sent to five international media distribution outlets.
\\ Rules & Eligibility
1. Entries MUST be 29 minutes or less.
2. Submissions in other than English must be subtitled.
3. Multiple entries are not allowed from a filmmaker.
4. Online screeners are mandatory. If you choose not to upload your project to FilmFreeway’s site, please provide an online link to your submission and be sure to include the password in an email correspondence sent directly to Capitol Hill Film Classic .
5. Capitol Hill Film Classic does not download submissions or accept Dropbox submissions. Please only send links to your media hosted on 3rd party servers such as Vimeo or YouTube.
6. Written comments describing entries are beneficial.
7. DVD Entries will not accepted nor be returned.
8. Filmmaker waives right to have short film broadcasted in local Washington DC tv market, if selected for the Classic.
9. Capitol Hill Film Classic may request a downloadable copy (.Mov, .MP4, or other format) to use for exhibition and Filmmaker agrees to comply.