Cairo Shorts is an independent short film festival that provides a platform for young, talented filmmakers where they can screen their work, learn from other filmmakers, improve their craft, network, and collaborate.
Taking place for the first time in October 2019, Cairo Shorts aims to encourage and celebrate short film production by supporting new filmmakers and establishing an exciting annual festival for cinema lovers.
In addition to the official competitions and awards, the festival will also showcase a diverse lineup of local and international short films. Serving as a learning and debate platform that focuses on filmmaking and short films, Cairo Shorts will host various talks, interviews, and master classes to further enrich the relationship between artists and their audience.
Cairo Shorts aims to foster a supportive global community for the next generation of storytellers, showcasing the spirit, passion, and skill of new filmmakers from around the world through short film.
Provide filmmakers with a platform to network amongst fellow professionals and artists.
Aid in cultivating collaborative relationships between filmmakers.
Encourage the development of high-caliber short films.
Promote short film as a powerful contemporary medium that inspires creativity and exploration.
Best Fiction Jury Award
Best Fiction Audience Award
Best Documentary Jury Award
Best Documentary Audience Award
Best Animation Jury Award
Best Animation Audience Award
Work in Progress Jury Award
Best Egyptian Short Award
Best Sound Design
Terms and Conditions
• Submitted films must have been produced during the two years preceding the festival date (not before August 2017).
• Films can be submitted from any country.
• Length of submitted films should not exceed 30 minutes, including opening and closing credits.
• Accepted film entries are Live Action, Animation, or Documentary.
• Each applicant is allowed to submit only one film.
• Applicants must confirm that they own the film and complete documentation for selected films to be made available upon request.
• By submitting a film for festival consideration, the submitter represents that they have obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers, and/or other authorized representatives of the film whose consent is required to submit the film to the festival and screen the film at the festival.
• By submitting your film to the festival, you give permission to Cairo Shorts to freely use clips from the film for promotional purposes (including trailer, brochures, and flyers).
• All entries in original languages other than English, or containing extracts that are not in English, must be subtitled in English.
• All selected films must be available to screen in HD Format.
• All applicants must fill in the submission form clearly. Cairo Shorts is not responsible for incorrect wording in publications or awards if it is the result of inaccurate information in the submission form.
• Only complete submissions (including film and all film material) will be processed via FilmFreeway. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete their submission by the deadlines outlined (see below).
• It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to clear all content of the project from any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including, without limitation, claims based upon theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, theft of trade secrets, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationship, and breach of express or implied contract (“Third Party Claim(s)”).
• It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the contact information provided on the submission form is correct throughout the entirety of the festival selection period. The festival is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact applicants using the contact information provided.
• The festival will notify all applicants who have been selected to participate in the festival by 14th of September at the latest. All applicants who are not selected to participate in the festival will be contacted by email by 14th of September at the latest.
• The applicant and film owners hereby warrant and represent that:
◦ The film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the submitting parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trade-mark, sound recording, musical composition, or other work in the film.
◦ The film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person.
◦ The film is not the subject of litigation, or any dispute, which would give rise to litigation.
◦ There are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this film submission, that would or could have the effect of impairing the submitting parties’ ability to provide the film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these terms.
◦ The submitting parties have the full right, power, and authority to submit the film to Cairo Shorts for festival consideration and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, and there is no obligation or disability which would in any way impair, restrict, or impede the submitting parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these terms.