City of Angels Women’s Film Festival was launched successfully in 2019 with the goal of empowering and connecting women and those identifying as female in the film industry, and showcasing extraordinary films made by women both in Los Angeles and globally. Our goal is to improve gender equality in film and celebrate diverse women's stories.
City of Angels Women's Film Festival is focused on honoring films that have been either directed, produced, edited, or include a cast driven by women. (For example: We will accept a film directed by a man if the film was either written or produced by a woman or includes a female driven cast or female protagonist. ) The screenplay category is open to both men and women. (Scripts written by men must include a female protagonist.) We also welcome LGBTQ themed films and scripts. We encourage student filmmakers to submit their work and also accept experimental films both feature and short length.
*Due to Covid 19 and its changing landscape we are planning a hybrid version of the festival which will include both online events and in person events that will adhere to local health rules and regulations. Updates will be announced closer to the festival date.
City of Angels Women's Film Festival is an excellent festival to exchange ideas about the art and business of filmmaking. With that in mind, we provide outstanding panels and Q&A's with established industry leaders. Mark your calendar because this year we will be hosting an international webinar between COAWFF participants and both prominent and up and coming filmmakers in London England.
Notable guests participating in our last annual festival including Alison Eastwood (Battlecreek, The Mule) Elisabet Ronaldsdottir (John Wick, Atomic Blonde) and Mary Vernieu (Knives Out, Silver Linings Playbook) and others.
"CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL couldn't be more perfect. Every aspect of the festival was thoughtfully curated-from the diverse showcase of films, the panelists and venues. It lives on in my heart."
Aina Dumlao, Director.
"This festival rocks! Empowered women and great films! Submit to CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL!"
Natalie Denise Sperl. Actress.
"THE CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL has given two of my projects with female writer/directors an amazing opportunity to connect and empower themselves with the Hollywood Film Industry through participating in this festival. We were excited to win "Best Foreign" with our UK entry. I highly recommend submitting to this amazing festival!"
Paul Dubois. Producer/Director/Actor.
"THE CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL is a hidden gem that isn't going to stay hidden after its recent success. Everything about the event was fantastic! The venue, the hospitality, and the personal care. This is a filmmaker-focused festival and you feel it right away. What's so amazing is the quality of filmmakers you meet and the planning put into enhancing conversations and connections. I loved everything about CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL and can't wait to return."
Michelle Muldoon. Director.
CASH PRIZES will be:
$500 Best Feature (overall)
$300 Best Short (overall)
$300 Best Script (overall)
Categories for awards:
Best Feature Film (overall)
Best Comedy Feature
Best Dramatic Feature
Best Short Film (overall)
Best Comedy Short
Best Dramatic Short
Best Full length Documentary
Best Short length Documentary
Best Script (overall)
Best Feature length Script
Best Short length Script
Best Female Protagonist
Best Animated Film
Best LGBTQ Themed Film
Best LGBTQ Themed Script
Best Student Film.
Best Experimental Film.
Best Social Commentary Award Film.
Angel Award for Inspiration and Excellence.
All Award Winners will receive:
-Promotion on the COAWFF website
-The Angel Award Trophy-given to "Special Achievers for their Extraordinary work and Inspiration."
FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS/FILMS
All festival submitters guarantee the City Of Angels Women's Film Festival that they have the legal authority to act on behalf of their project and to give COAWFF the right to screen and promote their work(s)/project(s).
1. City of Angels Women’s Film Festival accepts submissions for feature films, foreign films subtitled in English, short films, feature documentaries, short documentaries, TV Pilots, student films, feature-length screenplays, short screenplays, scripts for television/web series.
2. All films must be submitted with an online screener.
3. All feature narrative and feature documentary submissions must be 45+ minutes in length.
5. All short film narrative and short documentary submissions must be under 45-minutes in length.
6. Student film submissions of all lengths will be considered.
7. Festival will present selected films as a live in-person event from September 24-26, 2021.
8. All Submission fees are non-refundable.
9. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the current COVID-19 health crisis, festival dates, location and/or format are subject to change.
SCREENPLAY COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. City of Angels Women’s Film Festival Screenplay Competition accepts feature-length screenplays, short screenplays, and TV Pilots screenplays. Feature-length screenplays must be no longer than 120-pages. Any screenplay over 120 pages must be submitted as part 1 and then separately as part 2.
2. Submitted screenplays cannot have been optioned, purchased, or otherwise produced at the time of submission.
3. Writers may submit as many screenplays as they’d like to the competition, however, each script requires a separate application and payment.
4. All entries must be submitted in English.
5. Submissions must include a title page with the author(s) and any relevant registration or copyright information. Submitting Writer must have the legal right to submit.
6. Screenplays must be submitted in PDF or MS WORD.
7. All screenplays are considered complete once they are received by First Frame International Film Festival. No revisions or updated copies will be accepted.
8. Submission fees are non-refundable.
9. Please be sure to read all rules and regulations prior to submitting your project.
10. We expect all participants to adhere to local health rules and regulations pertaining to Covid 19 as we endeavor to keep our participants and guests safe.