City of Angels Women’s Film Festival was launched successfully in 2019 with the goal of empowering and connecting women and those identifying as female in the film industry, and showcasing extraordinary films made by women both in Los Angeles and globally. Our goal is to improve gender equality in film and celebrate diverse women's stories.
City of Angels Women's Film Festival is focused on honoring films that have been either directed, produced, edited, or include a cast driven by women. (For example: We will accept a film directed by a man if the film was either written or produced by a woman or includes a female driven cast or female protagonist. ) The screenplay category is open to both men and women. (Scripts written by men must include a female protagonist.) We also welcome LGBTQ themed films and scripts. We encourage student filmmakers to submit their work and also accept experimental films both feature and short length.
City of Angels Women's Film Festival is an excellent festival to exchange ideas about the art and business of filmmaking. With that in mind, we provide outstanding panels and Q&A's with established industry leaders. Mark your calendar for Sept 23rd, 2021 because this year we will be hosting an international panel with top UK filmmakers including: Producer Rosa Bosch (Buena Vista Social Club, The Devils Backbone), Bafta Award winning Producer Lisa Marie Russo (Locked In: Breaking the Silence, Swandown) and Bafta Award winning Kate Ogborn (Under the Skin and The Deep Blue Sea) and award winning Producer, Paul Dubois. (Dark Signal, JAS, Next). Please see our website for sign up and details by Sept 1st.
Notable guests participating in our last annual festival including Alison Eastwood (Battlecreek, The Mule) Elísabet Ronaldsdóttir (John Wick, Atomic Blonde) and Mary Vernieu (Knives Out, Silver Linings Playbook) and others.
"CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL couldn't be more perfect. Every aspect of the festival was thoughtfully curated-from the diverse showcase of films, the panelists and venues. It lives on in my heart."
Aina Dumlao, Director.
"This festival rocks! Empowered women and great films! Submit to CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL!"
Natalie Denise Sperl. Actress.
"City of Angels Women's Film Festival is amazing! Great audiences and events, and as a filmmaker, I appreciated the support for quality projects by underrepresented groups. Can't wait to see what's next for them." Mitch Del Monico. Director.
"CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL has given two of my projects with female writer/directors an amazing opportunity to connect and empower themselves with the Hollywood Film Industry through participating in this festival. We were excited to win "Best Foreign" with our UK entry. I highly recommend submitting to this amazing festival!"
Paul Dubois. Producer/Director/Actor.
"CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL is a hidden gem that isn't going to stay hidden after its recent success. Everything about the event was fantastic! The venue, the hospitality, and the personal care. This is a filmmaker-focused festival and you feel it right away. What's so amazing is the quality of filmmakers you meet and the planning put into enhancing conversations and connections. I loved everything about CITY OF ANGELS WOMEN'S FILM FESTIVAL and can't wait to return."
Michelle Muldoon. Director.
City of Angels Women's Film Festival will adhere to all local and state regulations regarding Covid 19 in order to ensure the safety of our participants. We ask that our guests also comply with those regulations. The festival reserves the rights to adjust dates and times accordingly.
***A NEW PRIZE HAS BEEN ADDED TO COAWFF:
A DISTRIBUTION OPPORTUNITY with SHOUT! STUDIOS
for the winners in the following categories:
BEST FEATURE FILM (overall)
BEST SOCIAL COMMENTARY FILM
BEST FEATURE SCREENPLAY (overall)
Winners of these categories will secure a meeting with the acquisitions team at Shout! Studios for a potential distribution deal or a potential development deal. (Meeting will take place within 30 days of COAWFF's closing date.)
CASH PRIZES will be:
$300 Best Short (overall)
$300 Best Script (overall)
Promoted Publicity on COAWFF website
IMDB win credits
Categories for awards:
Best Feature Film (overall)
Best Comedy Feature
Best Dramatic Feature
Best Short Film (overall)
Best Short Short (overall)
Best Comedy Short
Best Dramatic Short
Best Full length Documentary
Best Short length Documentary
Best Script of any length (overall)
Best Feature length Script
Best Short length Script
Best Drama Script
Best Comedy Script
Best Female Protagonist Film
Best Female Driven Cast Film
Best Animated Film
Best LGBTQ Themed Film
Best LGBTQ Themed Script
Best Student Film.
Best Experimental Film.
Best Ensemble Cast Comedy (both short and feature length film)
Best Ensemble Cast Drama (both short and feature length film)
Most Innovative Feature Film
Most Innovative Short Film
Most Innovative Feature Screenplay
Best Foreign Feature Length Film
Best Foreign Short Length Film
Best Foreign Feature Length Script
Best Foreign Short Length Script or Teleplay
Best Social Commentary Award Feature Film.
Best Social Commentary Short Film.
Angel Award for Inspiration and Excellence.
All Award Winners will receive:
-Promotion on the COAWFF website
-The Angel Award Trophy-given to "Special Achievers for their Extraordinary work and Inspiration."
IMDB win credits
FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS/FILMS
All festival submitters guarantee the City Of Angels Women's Film Festival that they have the legal authority to act on behalf of their project and to give COAWFF the right to screen and promote their work(s)/project(s).
1. City of Angels Women’s Film Festival accepts submissions for feature films, foreign films subtitled in English, short films, feature documentaries, short documentaries, TV Pilots, student films, feature-length screenplays, short screenplays, scripts for television/web series.
2. All films must be submitted with an online screener.
3. All feature narrative and feature documentary submissions must be 45+ minutes in length.
5. All short film narrative and short documentary submissions must be under 45-minutes in length.
6. Student film submissions of all lengths will be considered. When submitting as a student, please submit under student pricing and make sure to include a copy of your student id under your "files & attachments."
7. Festival will present selected films as a live in-person event from September 24-26, 2021.
8. All Submission fees are non-refundable. Please do not submit under student pricing if you are not a student. Doing so, will result in disqualification.
9. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the current COVID-19 health crisis, festival dates, location and/or format are subject to change.
SCREENPLAY COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. City of Angels Women’s Film Festival Screenplay Competition accepts feature-length screenplays, short screenplays, and TV Pilots screenplays. Feature-length screenplays must be no longer than 130-pages. Any screenplay over 130 pages must be submitted as part 1 and then separately as part 2.
2. Submitted screenplays cannot have been optioned, purchased, or otherwise produced at the time of submission.
3. Writers may submit as many screenplays as they’d like to the competition, however, each script requires a separate application and payment.
4. All entries must be submitted in English.
5. Submissions must include a title page with the author(s) and any relevant registration or copyright information. Submitting Writer must have the legal right to submit.
6. Screenplays must be submitted in PDF or MS WORD.
7. All screenplays are considered complete once they are received by City of Angels Women's Film Festival. No revisions or updated copies will be accepted.
8. Submission fees are non-refundable. Please do not submit under student pricing if you are not a student. Doing so, will result in disqualification.
9. Please be sure to read all rules and regulations prior to submitting your project.
10. We expect all participants to adhere to local health rules and regulations pertaining to Covid 19 as we endeavor to keep our participants and guests safe.