Back in 2001, on the initiative of the Spanish director Pedro Almodovar and Viviane Reding, serving at that time as a European Commissioner for Education and Culture, CINEDAYS was established as an idea of ‘celebrating the European cinematography’ in each of the major European capitals. Since then, only in Skopje, CINEDAYS evolved from a ‘week of celebrating the European cinema’ to a true, well established and recognized festival of European film.
In 2018, CINEDAYS was recognized by FIAPF and was accredited as “Competitive film festival specialized in European first and second feature films”.
The Festival is dedicated to promotion of young and talented European authors in two large competitive selections, as well as screening the latest achievements by the most awarded and acclaimed European directors.
CINEDAYS Festival of European film is the largest film festival in Macedonia.
- Official selection program, prize 5,000 €
- CineBalkan program, prize 5,000 €
- Short film program, prize 1,000 €
- Student film program, prize 500 €
- Young film critic award, 300 €
- GALA program (Off competition)
- Music Documentaries
- MK in EU program
- Country in Focus / Directors in Focus
- Children Film program
- European talents promotion
- VOD screenings
- CINEDAYS + program, highlighting achievements
- CINEDAYS travels, screenings outside main festival program/city
- Music concerts
- Industry meetings
2018 Cinedays Festival of European Film Competition Rules
1. Submissions must be done by a completed online entry form. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Once a film is officially invited to take part in the 2018 selection and once the producer or his/her duly empowered representative has accepted the invitation, the selected film cannot be withdrawn from the selection.
3. The inbound shipping costs for the copies of the selected films will be paid by the festival, and be sent via a courier service provided by the festival. The outbound shipping of the festival copy will be paid by the festival in case it goes back to the distributor/sales agent, however, if it goes directly to another festival in that case this festival will cover the outbound shipping of the copy.
4. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a participating submission platform (FilmFreeway) or password-protected streaming URL.
5. The festival provides insurance coverage once the carrier has delivered the film to the festival until the film is returned. In the case of loss or damage of a print, the festival will reimburse an amount not exceeding the average laboratory costs for a standard copy.
6. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
7. All films screened on CINEDAYS Festival are from DCP.
8. The films which will be selected for screening, will be advertised in digital form (via social media platforms and profiles), festival programmers and catalogue as well as in outdoor printable. The information from the films that will be communicated to the public will include: year of production, director, cast, information on the crew, official stills from the film, synopsis, trailer, awards received, festivals attended).
9. Films must have been completed after November 1, 2017. Films must be available for screening during the CINEDAYS Festival of European Film from 8-18 November 2018.
10. The general program and screening schedule are the exclusive responsibility of the Festival Director. Each selected film won't be screened more than 5 times.
11. Films submitted for the ‘Official selection’ program must be either first or second feature films made by European directors or European co-productions. The films submitted have to be premiered at CINEDAYS festival, as national premieres.
12. Films submitted for the ‘CineBalkan’ program must be either first or second feature films made by South East European directors co-producing with EU country/ Aspiring EU country or films originating from EU country from the SEE region. The films submitted have to be premiered at CINEDAYS festival.
13. Films submitted for the ‘Short films’ program must be first or second short film made by European directors or European co-productions. The films submitted must be premiered at CINEDAYS Festival.
14. CINEDAYS Film Festival reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries.
Other important notices:
1. Films must be the original work of the right-holders and they must have all the rights for festival screening of the films. The Festival will not support any infringement of the copyright and other rights made by the right-holders whose work is intellectual share of the film screened. By submitting his/her film, the applicant agrees with the 2018 festival regulations.
2. It is the applicant’s duty to obtain all the rights and permissions for the festival screening including rights of third parties such as: music, trademarks, logos and other intellectual property rights.
3. Winners will be announced on November 18, 2018. The jury that is consisted of internationally critically acclaimed film professionals’ decision is final.